Buyer Beware!!! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 47Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
User that is registered

Buyer Beware!!!

Yep

Last edited by F16JerryLewis; 04-12-2017 at 04:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 PM

I dont see the issue here. This is capitalism.

I would be more pissed that they want $70K for one of those silly T-REX things. And people scoffed at $100K for a Drakan...
Tazicon and LotusGreenvilleSC like this.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Will work for tires

Garage
Only 209 Exige 240s were sent to the US and less than that are still on the road today (accidents sadly happen). Even more have been modified for track use. Looking back, there have only been a handful of 240s posted here on LT in the past 6 months and there are only a small handful out at dealers for sale right night. Sorry to say, but 60's isn't as outrageous and you make it sound for being a spring buyer and the cars you looking at be clean and well maintained/serviced. D&M definitely bought theirs at a good price, and doing the service and maintenance adds value. They are probably about $56-57k into the car so them settling for a 8% margin is far from gouging.

If you're looking to spend mid $50ks then you might want to start looking at 07 Exige S, or be patient for the right 240 to maybe come up.

'06 Laser Blue Elise: Sport and Touring Pack

Elise/Exige Production Numbers

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:06 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16JerryLewis View Post
I'm sure a lot of you have seen the Persian Blue Exige S240 on eBay and Autotrader from D&M Motorsports in Glen Ellyn Illinois. Here is a guy who paid and spent too much for a car and is now trying to overcharge for a $55,000 car.

So he spent too much on the car and made a bad business decision and is trying to fix it

I like the irrelevance of the Lamborghini, because that's a different market from Lotus there buddy!

I did a little searching on google for reviews on this stealership and they do have some pretty negative reviews. I think my favorite read was about the Corvette with flood damage they tried to cover up.

Tell you what I'm gonna start investing in Lotus Exiges because they are better than gold and silver!!!

Also D&M because I know you're reading this. It's some free advertising for you. Good or bad right!
What does this have to do with this forum? I'll let the other mods here determine this thread's future.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 PM

Imo these cars should be worth even more than what the market dictates right now. There is nothing like it and probably never will be in the future.
sleepe and rustyb like this.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:37 PM

Don't bitch because you can't afford something...

So, let me get this straight.....you are upset because you can't find a S240 to buy at what YOU think the market should be on a S240. I congratulate D&M and Bill Nuccio for setting the price for the car they own, and not letting a buyer tell them what it should sell for and how much money they should make on it. If you think they are asking too much for the S240's they own, then where are the cheaper S240's you are comparing them to and why haven't you bought one of those cheaper S240's yet? I have a S240 and both of the S240's listed are WAY less than what I'd sell mine for. Prices are going to continue to climb on S240's and I LOVE IT.

Good luck with you search, but I don't see ANY reason why this "BUYER BEWARE" post was made on a car you can't or won't pay for.
Aedo, XHILR8N!, sleepe and 3 others like this.

08 Exige S240 - Chrome Orange
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:43 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaExige View Post
Good luck with you search, but I don't see ANY reason why this "BUYER BEWARE" post was made on a car you can't or won't pay for.
This is true. The car sounds to be in great condition.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Thumbs up Don't take pricing advice from a buyer.

Just remembered a post I made in September 2015......and it STILL holds true....

It's ironic 95% of the posts on this forum telling a seller their price is too high is from someone with a WTB ad.
CruzrMM, glb, Aedo and 3 others like this.

08 Exige S240 - Chrome Orange
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Yeah, either pay up or stop bitchin'.

The car is worth exactly what someone will pay for it!
CruzrMM, me73, TachItUp and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 PM

Pretty dumb thread.
JWA, Aedo, 4380r and 3 others like this.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaExige View Post
So, let me get this straight.....you are upset because you can't find a S240 to buy at what YOU think the market should be on a S240. I congratulate D&M and Bill Nuccio for setting the price for the car they own, and not letting a buyer tell them what it should sell for and how much money they should make on it. If you think they are asking too much for the S240's they own, then where are the cheaper S240's you are comparing them to and why haven't you bought one of those cheaper S240's yet? I have a S240 and both of the S240's listed are WAY less than what I'd sell mine for. Prices are going to continue to climb on S240's and I LOVE IT.

+1
Aedo likes this.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:24 AM
Carbon Fiber

Did you try having your mom call the dealership and setting them straight?? Obviously they don't know they were dealing with mamas special baby boy'
me73, jet37ski, 111Joe and 2 others like this.

If brute force is not working you're not using enough.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 AM

This actually makes the dealer sound good. They handled a personal attack very well and even admitted what they paid for a car and justified the selling price all while keeping a relatively level head.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:37 AM

Seller BEWARE!

Mods...any way you can change this to a SELLER BEWARE title?

BTW, can you BELIEVE that some sellers, private and exotic dealers, are asking over a million for an original, actual 427 Shelby Cobra? How DARE they? Don't they know they only sold for about $6500 new, and replicas sell for about $50K more or less.

Oh the humanity!

Owned, loved, enjoyed, and now gone:
1969 Europa S2 Blue
1970 Europa S2 White
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Blue
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige Canyon Red

Other:
1970 MGB GT
1970 Datsun 510
1984 Honda CRX Si
1984 Pontiac Fiero
2004 Chrysler Crossfire
2009 Pontiac Solstice Coupe
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 AM

The seller is honest here. I did see this car sold on ebay just a few months ago for $52,500 by a private owner. I almost bid on it because no one was bidding. But I just can't justify buying another toy when I already have an Evora S. Maybe I will wait for the 2020 Elise or v6 Exige.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:05 AM

Boy, talk about a thread backfire...have to say, based on what I have read here, I see nothing wrong on the dealer's end...sounds about as straight forward as they come...

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 05:10 AM

If you cannot buy one for $55,000, how can this be a $55,000 car... paradox.
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:02 AM
Nein Kinder

Maybe it would help to get a roster of all the players:

Seller: Sets an asking price. They're allowed to set it to any value. Sellers may negotiate with a buyer when determining the actual selling price.

Buyer: Sets the maximum price they are willing to pay. They're allowed to set it to any value. Buyers may negotiate with a seller when determining the actual selling price.

Onlookers who own (or wished they owned) a car similar to that being sold: Sets the price they wish the item would sell for, affirming their wisdom in previously acquiring the particular car or reassuring themselves that the particular car really is a sound investment.

Disinterested onlookers: Records the sales price for future reference and moves on to something more interesting.

Which category are you in?

When a sale price is negotiable, some people try to cast one party or the other as less scrupulous, as if the act of negotiating on behalf of the seller, or the act of negotiating on behalf of the buyer was somehow offensive. Both parties are expected to negotiate and neither has a morally superior position.

The OP has probably broken some norms by publishing emails that the seller may have expected to be kept between the two. And attempting to negotiate a sales price by exerting whatever "pressure" a post on LotusTalk creates seems a little childish.

Best Regards,

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Disinterested onlookers: Records the sales price for future reference and moves on to something more interesting.
Moving on
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Lotus Elise 2005

delete post. waste our time
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in