FS: 2006 Lotus Exige Supercharged - Arctic Silver - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 AM
Registered User
 
carphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,181
re:Smog.

The legal answer: It's modified, and is not CA legal.

The truth: When I had the car tuned, it was programmed WITH the readiness codes, so it passes an OBDII read. It still has a cat, and passes the sniffer. The only "issue" is visual. 1- if the person knows it's an N/A car, they'll notice the giant intercooler when they pop the hood. 2- the vacuum diagram provided OEM is no longer accurate, and is a dead give-a-way.

You could get a vacuum diagram from an 07+, and stick it on there... but that's on you!

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
carphoria is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Kazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 148
Thanks for the clarification, carphoria.
Kazi is offline  
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-27-2015, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Kazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 148
Whew, it is hot and humid out. I just finished putting the stock cat, exhaust, diffuser and rear panel back on the car. Rocker panel xpel replacement is scheduled for next week.
Kazi is offline  
 
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 06:33 PM
Registered User
 
carphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,181
Free bump for a gorgeous car to drive during this gorgeous summer.

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
carphoria is offline  
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Posts: 25
What's the worst case scenario for bringing this car into CA? Take it to get smogged, it doesn't pass visual, pull off the supercharger for inspection, and drop it back on for "track use" afterwards? $ estimates for the on-and-off with the supercharger, intercooler, etc? Will it require a stock ECU once the supercharger is pulled?
Elise_Noodle is offline  
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: California
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise_Noodle View Post
What's the worst case scenario for bringing this car into CA? Take it to get smogged, it doesn't pass visual, pull off the supercharger for inspection, and drop it back on for "track use" afterwards? $ estimates for the on-and-off with the supercharger, intercooler, etc? Will it require a stock ECU once the supercharger is pulled?
Bump with the hope that someone can answer these questions.
Elise_Noodle is offline  
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:02 AM
Registered User
 
carphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise_Noodle View Post
What's the worst case scenario for bringing this car into CA? Take it to get smogged, it doesn't pass visual, pull off the supercharger for inspection, and drop it back on for "track use" afterwards? $ estimates for the on-and-off with the supercharger, intercooler, etc? Will it require a stock ECU once the supercharger is pulled?
Elise_Noodle,

The effort of bringing this car back to NA would be an undertaking. The intake manifold, injectors, tune, belts, all would need to be swapped out.

That said, it shouldn't be required. Look, without getting myself in trouble, I lived in CA for several years with this car, and it passed smog at the bi-annual check, and when I put it up for sale (while I sold out of state, I smogged it so I could add "smogged and ready to go" to my for sale ad).

Now, with every used car, it's buyer beware. To my knowledge, Kazi is selling it with the cat, and has not altered the tune, nor the power output (pulleys, injection, etc). If the buyer is concerned, they can call the local Lotus tuner shops in CA to find out more information.

People buy modified (aftermarket, non-OEM, non-CARB, modified&S/Ced) cars all the time, and they bring them into, and out of CA. Of all the post-new-sale SC cars, this one should be the LEAST concerning. It's SCed with the Lotus OEM parts off an '07.

As noted earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carphoria View Post
re:Smog.

The legal answer: It's modified, and is not CA legal.

The truth: When I had the car tuned, it was programmed WITH the readiness codes, so it passes an OBDII read. It still has a cat, and passes the sniffer. The only "issue" is visual. 1- if the person knows it's an N/A car, they'll notice the giant intercooler when they pop the hood. 2- the vacuum diagram provided OEM is no longer accurate, and is a dead give-a-way.

You could get a vacuum diagram from an 07+, and stick it on there... but that's on you!

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
carphoria is offline  
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 12:48 AM
The Enforcer
 
oldmansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Los Alamitos, CA
Posts: 6,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by carphoria View Post
Elise_Noodle,

The effort of bringing this car back to NA would be an undertaking. The intake manifold, injectors, tune, belts, all would need to be swapped out.

That said, it shouldn't be required. Look, without getting myself in trouble, I lived in CA for several years with this car, and it passed smog at the bi-annual check, and when I put it up for sale (while I sold out of state, I smogged it so I could add "smogged and ready to go" to my for sale ad).

Now, with every used car, it's buyer beware. To my knowledge, Kazi is selling it with the cat, and has not altered the tune, nor the power output (pulleys, injection, etc). If the buyer is concerned, they can call the local Lotus tuner shops in CA to find out more information.

People buy modified (aftermarket, non-OEM, non-CARB, modified&S/Ced) cars all the time, and they bring them into, and out of CA. Of all the post-new-sale SC cars, this one should be the LEAST concerning. It's SCed with the Lotus OEM parts off an '07.

As noted earlier:
Great post. I think the Koldfire tune is a problem in CA (due to required values that will fail).

I would recommend a BOE tune that would remedy that and give more power/torque and the ability to change tunes on the fly. Obviously I would recommend you talk to Phil at BOE.

I wouldn't even think about going to NA to avoid requirements. Way to expensive and just isn't worth it IMHO.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
oldmansan is offline  
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Registered User
 
carphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Great post. I think the Koldfire tune is a problem in CA (due to required values that will fail).

I would recommend a BOE tune that would remedy that and give more power/torque and the ability to change tunes on the fly. Obviously I would recommend you talk to Phil at BOE.

I wouldn't even think about going to NA to avoid requirements. Way to expensive and just isn't worth it IMHO.

San
FYI, Phil was involved in the tuning of this car. The readiness codes are set, and as stated, it did pass smog in CA before, with this tune.

I'm always a fan of retuning though, especially since Kazi upgraded cooling, etc.

-JM

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
carphoria is offline  
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Kazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 148
I also have a set of higher CC injectors and connection adapters I can negotiate into the sale in case someone wants to upgrade to a BOE tune
Kazi is offline  
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Kazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 148
Sale pending!
Kazi is offline  
post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Kazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NC
Posts: 148
SOLD!
Kazi is offline  
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 06:42 AM
Registered User
 
carphoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Bay
Posts: 1,181
Congrats. Is the new owner a member? Where in the US is it going?

2006 Exige KoldFire270 Bought in 2010 - Sold in 2014 - Bought again in 2018
Other Toys SOLD

2006 Elise "Toothless" FIRE=TOTAL LOSS
carphoria is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome