Lotus dealers in the greater Philadelphia area - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Lotus dealers in the greater Philadelphia area

Hi,

I have been researching the Lotus Evora 400 for the past year and I have not had much success with the local dealer network in the greater Philadelphia area. Does anyone have any experience or insight in dealing with Victory Lotus (also known as Baker Dodge) near Princeton, NJ? I also understand that Aston Martin Summit is now selling Lotus.Any other dealers in the area? What about getting service on the vehicle outside the dealer network? I reside in New Castle County, just south of Wilmington, DE.

Regards,

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:29 AM

They're your two closest options. Manhatten Motorcars and the dealer on LI would be next as well as Lotus of Pittsburgh. I think the dealers in MD/DC are no longer selling Lotus.

I bought my Lotus from the dealer in Pitt and they were great to deal with but I think the salesguy that sold mine is now gone. I think they might only have one 400 left.

I haven't visited Summit yet but have heard good things and a friend bought his GT there.

As for Baker, I use them for service and am happy overall. I did chat to their sales guy a few weeks ago about a 400 but I've decided to wait. They were nice to work weith and seemed willing to deal (at least on the in stock cars) but have no idea beyond that on the sales side. The service dept is good.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response!

I tried to see a car (they still have it in stock) this time last year at Baker and the salesman (he could have been the age my grandson) turned my wife and myself away. He asked me, how serious are you about purchasing a Lotus? My response was that it was more than a casual interest. He looked me up and down and politely said that the cars were off site and that he rather not take the time to show me a vehicle. Summit is just a little to far for me to consider going to get a car serviced.

I did visit Manhattan and spoke to a decent salesman. I was able to look at and get to know the Evora 400 a bit better but again the distance and location for service is just not what I am looking for. 12 months into this and I still have not had the opportunity to drive one.

I understand that the dealer network is thin on the ground but I was hoping for something a bit more central to my geographic area. I also heard that a car deal in
Bryn Mawr may pick up a Lotus dealership. When I called, they said they had no relationship with Lotus and then tried to sell me a used 2017 sitting in the mid-west at full sticker price.

I have a Porsche dealership just 5 miles away from my home. I am just not in love with the them. I am also holding out to see what the new C8 Corvette is going to be like. Maybe the C8 will resolve my problem of a ride.

In the mean time I was hoping for a alternative Lotus dealer to work with.

Again thanks for the response!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Garage
How about a used 400 and just service at local place like the Porsche dealer out of pocket?

Past & Present:
2017 Jaguar XE R-Sport
2012 Aston Martin Rapide
2011 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Manual
2011 Lotus Evora - Aspen White
2005 Range Rover HSE
2007 Jaguar XK Coupe
2004 Jaguar XJ350 Vanden Plas
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I understand the cars are hand built and you need to work the kinks out of them hopefully during the warranty period. With that said if the car was well cared for and had good service records, I would be perfectly okay with that scenario.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnkey View Post
I understand the cars are hand built and you need to work the kinks out of them hopefully during the warranty period. With that said if the car was well cared for and had good service records, I would be perfectly okay with that scenario.
Once the kinks have been worked out you should be ok as they are very reliable. The 400 is much better than the S with less issues so there isn't much to worry about.

As for Baker, the sales person I dealt with was an older gentleman who seemed like he is their Lotus guy and he was very accomadating - even before he knew I had one in for service. Again I've no experience beyond this with their sales dept but it may be worth trying them/him again if you really want one. You owe it to yourself to at least drive an Evora before deciding on one of the others

I'm close to two hours from Princeton but service hasn't been an issue. In five years I think I've only had to leave it there and get a ride twice. The regular maintenace has been done while I wait so it's just an excuse to get the car out.

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:04 AM
RBH

Back in Jan 2017 I had to take my old car to a dealership to perform the oil cooler recall. The nearest dealership to DC area was Victory Lotus in Princeton NJ. They did an excellent job. They also fixed the custom made LED light

Do it once. Do it right.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for the input!

Cornbeef --- Based on another post you did about Baker Dodge and warranty, do you have a feel for how bad they want to move the remaining 2017 Evora's? I also understand the cars warranties were started a while back so Baker could cash in on the factory rebates for themselves (I understand that a few other dealers also did this). With the lack of a warranty and what I mentioned above about working the kinks out of a hand built car that has more or less sat since late 2016. I would be a little concerned that the car may have a few problems. My experience of cars that don't move or get used over a long period of time is that they develop problems some serious and some less serious but none the less a problem that I will need to pay for to have resolved.

Thoughts anyone?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:14 PM

I think if you walked in ready to buy, you would get an awesome deal - to be fair the numbers we were talking right off the bat were great for a brand new car. After a lot of deliberation, I decided I really want an 18 with the carbon pack when I eventually decide to change. Saying that, I also really like the GT but at msrp itís out of my budget - for now...... The big issue (as mentioned in another post) is that the number of new 17s and 18s are dwindling fast so I think the deals will be gone soon.

While I somewhat agree with your concerns on a leftover (which was the topic of my other thread), everyone I talked to said to do it. My S and Elise were leftovers. The Elise had a lot of cosmetic issues due to sitting out but was fine mechanically. I canít think of anything on my Evora that needed immediate attention. A few of the known issues popped up but were not really that bad but I had them replaced right before the warranty ran out. They really werenít as bad as some cars (like the airbag cover and rear sail panel) but Lotus still changed them; if they hadnít, it really wouldnít have mattered. That was on an S and the 400 is better. The only big ticket item that went on my S was the AC compressor. I was luckily it was still under warranty but most people that had that issue were not, so it really wasnít something that driving or time would effect.

The 400s at Baker looked to be in good shape and there is enough warranty to get any minor stuff from sitting done. I really donít think thereís a lot longer term to worry about, except maybe the front seat separating issue which seems like a wear thing. Again if the color went over better at home it may have been a sale but ultimately I want the carbon one and had it been one I may have put up a bigger fight on he color....

My recommendation would be to check them out since you havenít even driven one. I think you need to drive one to make sure you like it (although that will most likely confirm you need one!). If you like it , you should be able to get a brand new car for the price of a used one. Again I understand why youíre worried as I had the same question a few weeks ago, but after thinking about it, any new or slightly car can have issues so if you get the known stuff taken care of it should be fine.

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response - your insight and knowledge is appreciated. I will probably go and check the car out!

With that said the release last night of the new C8 Corvette seems like it may take a big bite out of companies like Lotus and Porsche. The C8 Corvette under $60,000 is going to be a pretty incredible car for the money (V8 - 495 hp, mid-engine, 0-60 under 3 seconds), new car warranty and I can get it serviced at any Chevrolet dealer.

I wonder how or if Lotus, Porsche and some of the other car makers are going to respond?

Have a great weekend!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mturnkey View Post
Thank you for the response - your insight and knowledge is appreciated. I will probably go and check the car out!

With that said the release last night of the new C8 Corvette seems like it may take a big bite out of companies like Lotus and Porsche. The C8 Corvette under $60,000 is going to be a pretty incredible car for the money (V8 - 495 hp, mid-engine, 0-60 under 3 seconds), new car warranty and I can get it serviced at any Chevrolet dealer.

I wonder how or if Lotus, Porsche and some of the other car makers are going to respond?

Have a great weekend!

I think the Vette won't effect the others much. I think the people who want a Porsche (and everything that represents) don't necessarily want a Vette. Lotus are too small for to make a diference. It may make some inroads on people purely looking for the performance but IMO GM missed the mark with the design - there's way too much going on, some good, most really bad - and thats what puts me off. I'm all for the performance but I also need the car to appeal to me on an emotional level before I sit in it - there's a reason I don't drive a bland box daily. Maybe it'll look better in person and I'll change my attitiude! Saying that there is a lot of appeal and I can see how someone would want a painless ownership experience with servicing etc.

Glad you're still thinking about checking an Evora out before making a decision. I know I'm biased but they are amazing to drive, even if it doesn't have the stats of the C8.

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in