Never used.
Comes with nylon cover.
$395 + shipping.
Attached Images

jlj3394 and Glen like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:29 AM

Very cool. Looks like you'd also need to carry an air compressor.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:00 PM

It looks like the same type of tire used on the Porsches.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 04:10 PM
Nein Kinder

More info about these tires . . . Answer To The Lack Of A Spare Tire

Glen

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 05:12 PM

Where do i put the jack .?
Koko likes this.

2008 Exige S 240
2010 Toyota FJ TRD
2015 BMW M235 Convertible
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
1978 Toyota FJ40

2008 Beneteau Oceanis 40 Sailboat
1973 Colombia 26 MK11 sailboat
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 07:40 PM

Smokin Orange,

You pull/tow your Harbor Freight, 3-ton, Low Profile Floor Jack behind the vehicle using a grade 100 stainless steel chain. Make sure the heavy duty chain is attached to the rear, MSA approved, 6mm racing steel tow hook/bracket. Mount the 60 gallon, vertical, single-stage air compressor to the Lotus Elise boot top using the appropriate hardware and OEM bonding material/glue. A flexible, 3-prong, 16AWG, 300 feet, all weather outdoor extension cord should be stored inside the boot with the RARE COLLAPSIBLE SPARE TIRE. Lotus recommends using the carbon fiber CF-300 extension cord reel for lightness. I hope my MODIFICATION and INFORMATION helps. LOL

DISCLAIMER - COMEDIAN ON BOARD - DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION!

Now being totally serious, if I had the money, I'd buy this rare collapsible spare tire in a heartbeat. As SirLotus stated, they're only 4 known collapsible Spare Tires in existence. GLWS
Attached Images

Last edited by Koko; 03-31-2018 at 11:58 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:31 AM

Definitely a piece of mind for 'longer trips. I didn't know it even existed outside the gen1 NSX.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 09:22 PM

COLLAPSIBLE SPARE TIRE TRANSPORT BOOT MOD-1.1
Attached Images

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 05:43 AM
Nein Kinder

For those of you using @SirLotus ’ for sale thread as the occasion for scribbling on the bathroom wall, carrying an air compressor and jack is easily accomplished in an Elise or Exige. On long road trips, I stow a scissor jack like this one behind the driver’s seat along with a 12V air compressor like this. Neither item is very heavy and the air compressor - I always have one of these in each of four vehicles - will inflate my Porsche collapsible spare in about 10 minutes (I had to use mine once).

There aren’t too many good choices for lightweight jacks that will lift an Elige high enough to access a tire. One jack I may get in the future is the aluminum scissor jack out of a Porsche 944. It has a dimple on top to match the receiver jacking points, so to use one on an Elise would take an adapter to make a flat surface.

Glen
Koko likes this.

2011 Lotus Elise SC
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhentr View Post
Definitely a piece of mind for 'longer trips. I didn't know it even existed outside the gen1 NSX.
Actually, collapsible spare tires date back to 1967 when they were introduced and made standard on early Pontiac Firebirds, optional on Camaros and other cars.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 06:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
Actually, collapsible spare tires date back to 1967 when they were introduced and made standard on early Pontiac Firebirds, optional on Camaros and other cars.
I didn't know they existed at all. I don't have an Elise but want to buy it because it's so cool.
jlj3394 likes this.

'11 Evora
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb3 View Post
I didn't know they existed at all. I don't have an Elise but want to buy it because it's so cool.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+spare&_sop=16

Koko likes this.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 AM

Glenn,

My post was non-harmful entertainment. Everyone knows that the Lotus Elise/Exige was not originally designed to cary a spare tire in its boot. Hence, the installation of the Holts Tyre Weld Emergency Puncture Repair Can thatís factory mounted in the Lotus Elise/Exige boot.

Itís AWSOME that a Lotus Member/Engineer came up with a collapsible spare tire modification for a Lotus Elise to solve a spare tire issue. Regarding SirLotus's post, some questions have been asked on how to fill a collapsible tire & place a low profile jack inside a street legal track car with limited boot space. Now thatís humorous to ME! Just like getting into/out of a Lotus Elise/Exige gracefully. ITíS A TINY LOTUS!

Please note, Iíve never owned a Porsche or have seen a collapsible spare tire. I own a Lotus Elise. Iím guessing your Porsche was designed to safely carry a collapsible spare tire, jack, and compressor on board. Thank you for explaining to me on how it can be done safely with the Lotus Elise/Exige for daily driving. I do appreciate it. I also apologize to you, SirLotus, or anyone else who finds my post offensive regarding a collapsible spare tire modification that's not OEM, something I didnít understand, something I find very humorous, but something I'd love to own/have. Like I said in a previous post, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I had the extra money. Having a rare collapsible spare tire would be cool. Only 4 known to exist for a Lotus Elise?
SS Lotus Elise likes this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 10:00 AM

I have a version of one of these for track use:
Sears.com
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Sold...but willing to screw the purchaser if I get a better offer.........JUST KIDDING !!!!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koko View Post
COLLAPSIBLE SPARE TIRE TRANSPORT BOOT MOD-1.1
Koko you bafoon! The compressor mounts horizontally and across the rear clam which provides an additional 50lbs of down force. You must not have read the TSP....
Koko likes this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:54 PM

NEW MODIFICATIONS - Never Get Stuck On The Road or Track Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzydee View Post
Koko you bafoon! The compressor mounts horizontally and across the rear clam which provides an additional 50lbs of down force. You must not have read the TSP....
RizzyDee,
I am a Trailer Park Legend. I read the (TSP) Trailer Set-Up Part. I just needed one of those brain learnin experiences again on getting more downforce & horizontal tank.

This post gets 50 SMILES per gallon.

DISCLAIMER - COMEDIAN ON BOARD - DO NOT ATTEMP ANY OF MY MODIFICATIONS - FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY
Attached Images

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:08 PM

Location: Chicago area w/1 foot out the door; Setting up in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
For those of you using @SirLotus í for sale thread as the occasion for scribbling on the bathroom wall, carrying an air compressor and jack is easily accomplished in an Elise or Exige. On long road trips, I stow a scissor jack like this one behind the driverís seat along with a 12V air compressor like this. Neither item is very heavy and the air compressor - I always have one of these in each of four vehicles - will inflate my Porsche collapsible spare in about 10 minutes (I had to use mine once).

There arenít too many good choices for lightweight jacks that will lift an Elige high enough to access a tire. One jack I may get in the future is the aluminum scissor jack out of a Porsche 944. It has a dimple on top to match the receiver jacking points, so to use one on an Elise would take an adapter to make a flat surface.

Glen
>>the aluminum scissor jack out of a Porsche 944
THIS ONE. I can confirm it does the job (tested). I have one and carry it in the Elise full time. It is unbelievably light and compact. I had to adapt a hock puck to overlay the P-car notch, but it is a perfect solution.

The garage is... moving.
2007 CO Elise--in new hands--in STL
Toyota Tundra
1973 jet black Ford Mustang convertible...For Sale. Inq within.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 PM

Location: Chicago area w/1 foot out the door; Setting up in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by centerpunch View Post
I believe even earlier. Appeared in '66 Mustang (fastback)and early 60's Chryslers (among a lot of other--AMC (AMX) and even Lincolns). The 'Collapse' spare was still being deployed in modern cars at least as recent as 3-4 years ago.
If i were truly concerned/motivated (NOT), I'd find a donut spare and a wheel-hub pattern adapter/spacer. That thought went away 5 or 6 problem-free cross country trips ago.

No matter. I always thought it was a cool bit of engineering (and damn thankful I never had to use it on my Mach 1).

The garage is... moving.
2007 CO Elise--in new hands--in STL
Toyota Tundra
1973 jet black Ford Mustang convertible...For Sale. Inq within.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML1media View Post
I believe even earlier. Appeared in '66 Mustang (fastback)and early 60's Chryslers (among a lot of other--AMC (AMX) and even Lincolns). The 'Collapse' spare was still being deployed in modern cars at least as recent as 3-4 years ago.
If i were truly concerned/motivated (NOT), I'd find a donut spare and a wheel-hub pattern adapter/spacer. That thought went away 5 or 6 problem-free cross country trips ago.

No matter. I always thought it was a cool bit of engineering (and damn thankful I never had to use it on my Mach 1).

ML1Media,

I believe your right. I found this collapsible spare tire picture on a Vintage Mustang Forum. It was titled "Space Saver Spare." It dates back to the 60's. The RED tire inflator looks like an older version of a Tyre Weld or a Fix-A-Flat Sealer.
Attached Images

Last edited by Koko; 04-02-2018 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Parts Market > Parts For Sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in