Lotus Owners Gathering 36 Princeton NJ - Page 10 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
For the panoramic, you'd need to get in touch with Doug Chadwick - the closest I can find is a web page here: Patchwork Films - Doug Chadwick
I do have an extra order form for the photo, here's his contact info:
Douglas B. Chadwick
PO Box 99
Hillsboro, WV 24946
304-653-4916
Call to order a print. You'll choose with or without people, and the print is $50, and if you want, $160 for a standard frame and $290 for a deluxe (green/yellow matting, LOG36 logo) frame. The frame prices aren't terribly unreasonable; I've got two from previous LOGs and the size of the pictures means you need a custom frame and they get very expensive very quickly.
It costs a lot to get a print framed by Doug and shipped to you. AND IT IS WORTH IT. Don't order the rolled-up version and plan on having a local person do it. You are virtually-guaranteed to spend more and get less. Let Doug do it. Trust me on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Finally, Cora is awesome,
Yes, absolutely.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
It costs a lot to get a print framed by Doug and shipped to you. AND IT IS WORTH IT. Don't order the rolled-up version and plan on having a local person do it. You are virtually-guaranteed to spend more and get less. Let Doug do it. Trust me on this one.
I didn't. I probably should have. I move at a glacial pace on those things. It took me ~2 years after LOG33 to get that picture framed by a local shop, and even with a pretty big GroupOn, it was still $130 or $140 or so, and not quite right the first time I went to get it. I still haven't hung it up, only my Grand Island one is actually framed and hung. Who knows how long it'll take me to get the LOG36 one framed and hung...

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Elise, 1965 Elan S2
post #183 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4380r View Post
Nope, not Lotus Cars. Just Lotus, per the aforementioned bulletin.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/2991769-post1.html
You mean the organization which called itself Lotus Cars LTD?

Sorry. Lotus cars will always be A (if not THE) correct plural, just as Chevrolet cars or Ford cars will be. Nothing that the company publishes can change that.
glb likes this.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com

post #184 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:22 AM

I wanted to go. Cancelled a couple of months ago. I think it was due to anxiety that my car wouldn't make it that far and back..but I think it's also because I had so many problems this year with the Elise (although it was quickly fixed with my awesome mechanic)..I just didn't want to drive alone. The furthest I've been in the Lotus was to Colorado's Log 35, but the farthest roundtrip was around 5-6k miles. So I know I would of been able to get to this year's LOG..and I think my wife and I would of enjoyed it..we are probably in the "younger" category..but I was persuaded by my other friend to go do a Canada trip instead..and that also got postponed..and by the time it was postponed, LOG36 was like a month away and I already cancelled my hotel reservations at the Marriott Princeton. So yea, I have regrets...I hope to make LOG 37 next year. YOLO.

It looks like a lot of people had a good time and it looks like there were some improvements that could be made, but like any event, nothing is perfect. Although I have to say, if it wasn't for the caravan I had at LOG35, we might of been bored. We are more of the shy type and it's hard to just converse..I blame my Asian genes.

2005 Lotus Elise (Starlight Black)
post #185 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 10:44 AM
Have you GYLO'd?

Attending a LOG (Anywhere!)

I am a big advocate of LOGs. Since my first LOG in 1993, I have been to 21 LOGs, and I chaired the one in 1995, in the Poconos. Of these 21 LOGs, I did not bring a car to at least 8 of these. While it is great fun to show off your car, sometimes it's just not feasible. In older cars, the driving distance might be a challenge. Old or new car, we have chosen not to drive to the two Colorado LOGs, just because we'd have to take an extra 4 days or more of vacation. The upside to not having you car there - less time spent fussing over cleaning the car means more time to ogle other cars, and talk to Lotus people.

Like so many hobbies, we have our share of very shy people. The antidote to that is that the group dinners put you at a table with 8 or 9 other people who share your passion - Lotus!

Don't short-change yourself by just showing up for a day. A friend of mine had only been to one LOG - Gettysburg - and he got there on Saturday, for the concours, and stayed for the banquet. He says he had a good time, but not a great time. This year, he came in for the entire weekend, and had a blast. He met Bob Dance, ex-Lotus F1 and current Classic Team Lotus mechanic. He met Arnie Johnson, the former CEO of Lotus Cars USA, who was instrumental in bringing the Elise to America. He met Elisa Artioli, the reason the Elise is named what it is.

Really, LOG is the cars, the people, and the atmosphere. I can (and do) go on and on about great experiences at LOGs with old and new friends.

One other important item - while I'm not saying driving all the way cross-country is for everyone, the fact is, if you have a problem with your Lotus, but it's still safely driveable, there are few places better than a LOG. You'll find a depth of knowledge (and probably spare parts) that would be hard to beat, outside of England. Mention a problem with your Lotus, and you're likely to have several people follow you out to your car to help diagnose it.
(I'll take this space to say, if you show up with wheels held on by a single lug nut, and laying down a mosquito-killing oil cloud, you might not get as warm a welcome...)

I'm already making plans for Birmingham, AL next May, and I suggest you do, too!

--Bob Collum

Pictures below - what to expect at a LOG (these are from the last two Birmingham LOGs)
1.) Famous racecar drivers - (this was Dan Gurney & his wife - different drivers every year).
2.) Lots & lots of Lotus cars - the track is hosting a historic race at the start of LOG, featuring historic Lotus race cars.
3.) Drive YOUR Lotus on the banked racetrack at Talladega.
4.) Brits - always a selection of Lotus-centric folks.
5.) The Barber Museum contains the largest collection of Lotus in the world. (Yes, the plural of Lotus is Lotus.)
Attached Images

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!

Last edited by rcollum; 08-16-2016 at 05:00 AM.
post #186 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:25 AM
Cogito ergo zoom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldsha View Post
I wanted to go. Cancelled a couple of months ago. I think it was due to anxiety that my car wouldn't make it that far and back..but I think it's also because I had so many problems this year with the Elise (although it was quickly fixed with my awesome mechanic)..I just didn't want to drive alone. ...
Have been the 2nd owner of an Elise for 5 years. Honestly, without question, with my additional 30K miles on the car, it has been more reliable than my '10 Toyota Tundra. With 12 track days, and a SC and a bit of track mods. A skilled mechanic is a blessing.

36 was my first LOG. Met and conversed with a younger fellow who drove his '60's Elan from San Diego, Ca. to Princeton, NJ. And was returning home driving the car. Amazing. No fear!
post #187 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetry View Post
Have been the 2nd owner of an Elise for 5 years. Honestly, without question, with my additional 30K miles on the car, it has been more reliable than my '10 Toyota Tundra. With 12 track days, and a SC and a bit of track mods. A skilled mechanic is a blessing.

36 was my first LOG. Met and conversed with a younger fellow who drove his '60's Elan from San Diego, Ca. to Princeton, NJ. And was returning home driving the car. Amazing. No fear!
I'm pretty sure that was the Europa with the "65" on it, and it would be a '70s car. That in no way retracts from the mightiness of such a drive! I know that Ross Robbins has covered some mighty distances in his '64 Elan S1; I specifically recall Colorado to Orlando (with a number of waypoints) for LOG33, plus down to Sebring where I was one of his HPDE students for my first-ever track day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joldsha
It looks like a lot of people had a good time and it looks like there were some improvements that could be made, but like any event, nothing is perfect. Although I have to say, if it wasn't for the caravan I had at LOG35, we might of been bored. We are more of the shy type and it's hard to just converse..I blame my Asian genes.
Hey, my wife and I can be very shy at these events but the more we go, the more people we know and the more fun it becomes. I found myself actually not spending much time with the cars themselves, which is saying something for an antisocial guy like me. And IMHO, it's nice to see some different ethnicities at LOG, too, not just us pasty old white guys.

post #188 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:58 AM

Like I said, regrets. I'll do my best to make it to the Alabama one. I had this whole trip laid out for this year's New Jersey one..something like 8-9k roundtrip in 3 weeks. I think in the end it was because of the small but big problems I had..like the oil line was supposedly done on my car when I bought it 4 years ago, but it wasn't..and the oil line blew on a shorter weekend trip near the end of May..thank god my car wasn't set on fire..or the coolant tank having air pockets during another trip in mid July and my engine temp ran up to 240's..in Yosemite National Park. But it was all taken care of and the car ran perfectly after that..but the oil line was the scariest..and the coolant tank issue was quite stressful..but other than that..if those two things didn't happen..I would of had the self esteem to make it to New Jersey. I had to start slowly again to bring up my self confidence..after the tank issue..I drove 2,500 miles roundtrip in a week..and then wanted to go to LOG36..but like I said by that time it was closer to 2 weeks before it started and I'm sure the hotel was booked and I had no idea how much it would cost to get into the event..so instead we just sat home twiddling our thumbs..but next year I'll do what I can to make it.

And Rpetry, you are right. My lotus feels more reliable then some of my other cars. Had it for 4 years and put over 40k miles only doing long distance drives and weekend short drives. I don't track or autocross. I wanted to be one of those Californians who actually drove their car to a LOG event ..just to say it can go and really enjoy America like it should be ..driven one corner at a time.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
rcollum likes this.

2005 Lotus Elise (Starlight Black)
post #189 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Jeff

Garage
If anyone is interested, I've posted some of my photos from LOG36 on my site here: Automotive / LOONY / Lotus Owners Gathering 36, August 2016 | www.groucho.org
All untitled; if I get time, I'll go through and add descriptions and such.
I have a bunch from Grounds For Sculpture, too, but haven't finished processing those. Those'll probably go in a separate album anyway. I hope you like!
carbuff and rcollum like this.

post #190 of 192 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:37 AM

Here is the video overview of LOG36 my son Colin shot. Enjoy the event from your arm chair

BC 11 and LotusGuy48 like this.

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #191 of 192 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 08:39 AM

Excellent work, Colin. You too, Glen! :-)

Greg Z
post #192 of 192 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 02:50 AM

Thanks Greg. Great memories of another LOG weekend.

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Meets and events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in