Lotus Owners Gathering 36 Princeton NJ - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 11:31 AM

That was my other plan- just leave it at the Marriott. I'm assuming it would be fine there. I'd just have to hitch a quick ride to Princeton Station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:15 PM

Garage
Driving into the city (and around the city) can be brutal on your car (potholes, bad drivers etc.). The parking lot @ the Marriot will probably be your safest and best bet. As you might have heard that the hotel will be ALL LOG people. Other than the staff, it's just us! So the parking lot will be 99% Lotus. And there will be plenty of people you can ask to get a ride to the train station. Search me out at LOG and I'll be more than happy to help you out!

-----------------------------
2011 Persian Blue Elise RS
post #83 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:35 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
Guys,
My wife and I plan on going to Manhattan for two nights after LOG. I've considered leaving the car somewhere in NJ or taking it into the city.

Leaving it in NJ and taking the train poses some logistical problems for parking somewhere safe getting to the train station and travel early Sunday morning.

So now I'm leaning towards just taking it into the city and leaving it at the hotel....

Do you guys have any thoughts or recommendations?
Hi Walter,

Hope I can help. My name is Rick, and I've lived in the immediate LOG 36 area all of my fairly long life. Lived within 4 miles of the Marriot for 30 yrs. and held our wedding reception at the hotel 28 yrs. ago when it was The Scanticon.

Lee in the above post is spot on. The drive from anywhere into NYC is not easy, and certainly not territory for any Lotus. Unless you are familiar and "know" Manhattan and how to drive when in the city, you are at minimum, in for a miserable trip, aggravation, and absurd parking fees.

NYC is a city of cabs. They are everywhere, reasonable in cost, and readily available. It is the only sane way to get around the city.

New Jersey Transit operates direct round trip train service between Princeton Junction (~ 4 miles from the Marriot) and Penn Station (30th St.) in Manhattan. Check their web site for schedules. My suggestion is this.

The Marriot will honor your parking on site for Sunday and probably Monday, being a part of LOG 36. The front desk can order you a local taxi to the Princeton Junction train station on Sunday morning. Enjoy NYC on Sunday and Monday without worry for your Lotus.

On return by train on Monday, the Princeton Junction station has plenty of taxis on site to hire to return to the Marriot.

If you want to contact me, kindly PM and I'll forward my cell #. I'll be attending LOG36 for most of the daylight hours Thursday through Sunday if you need personal assistance while in Princeton.
glb likes this.

post #84 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

Walter addendum:

I've driven pickups, various cars (still do on occasion), and even commercial straight trucks and one tractor trailer into and out of Manhattan over the past 4 decades. I own an Elise. I would never consider taking that car anywhere near NYC.

The roads and streets are a nightmare for a low suspension, small, quality sports car.

Last edited by RPetry; 07-22-2016 at 05:56 PM. Reason: addition
post #85 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:38 PM

Thanks guys. I've been to New York a bunch of times, either by train or daily beater. I'll do the right thing and take the train.

1966 BRG Elan SE (sold)
2008 Isotope Green Exige 240
2017 Metallic Blue Evora 400
post #86 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:54 AM

Both Apple and Droid apps are now up and running

Apple

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lotu...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Google

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....cordova.Log36

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #87 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:56 AM
UK Exile

Great, thank you.

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbeef View Post
post #88 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
Great, thank you.

I look forward to seeing you all there.

Looking forward to it too

Can't believe it's only a week away

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS
post #89 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetry View Post
[...] NYC.

The roads and streets are a nightmare for a low suspension, small, quality sports car.
I recall many years ago that ALFA Romeo cars sold in NY for use in NYC were all equipped with the optional rally skid-plate. The dealers know that the alloy oil pans on ALFAs would not survive NYC streets. Apparently, some things don't change.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #90 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:36 AM
Jeff

Garage
If you were still on the fence, check out this video of a Lamborghini breaking down right in the middle of an intersection in Manhattan. It's enough to give you nightmares! Good luck watching it without getting sweaty palms and an elevated heart rate. I don't mind driving in NYC too much but it's definitely not friendly for delicate cars like ours.

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Elise, 1965 Elan S2
post #91 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:07 AM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
I recall many years ago that ALFA Romeo cars sold in NY for use in NYC were all equipped with the optional rally skid-plate. The dealers know that the alloy oil pans on ALFAs would not survive NYC streets. Apparently, some things don't change.
My cousin had a GTV (early), learned this the hard way. Not into research much.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #92 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 05:02 PM

Hey guys,

How does this work? I haven't registered. Can I still go and just pay an entry fee at the door? I'm only planning to hang out for a few hours on Saturday.
post #93 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
Hey guys,

How does this work? I haven't registered. Can I still go and just pay an entry fee at the door? I'm only planning to hang out for a few hours on Saturday.
You can check with Lotus Ltd. which is the overall organization for LOG's. Email is [email protected]

Better yet free and open to the public is the concours on Saturday from ~ 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. This is being held at Washington Crossing State Park, located along the Delaware river on the Pennsylvania side of the river.
post #94 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetry View Post
You can check with Lotus Ltd. which is the overall organization for LOG's. Email is [email protected]

Better yet free and open to the public is the concours on Saturday from ~ 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM. This is being held at Washington Crossing State Park, located along the Delaware river on the Pennsylvania side of the river.
Thank you sir. I just emailed them.
post #95 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 02:43 AM Thread Starter

THis is from the LOG web site FAQ:

Q: I want to attend the Concours but not the rest of the LOG. Is this allowed?

A: In order to display a car in the Concours and be eligible for an award you must be a paid registered participant in LOG 36. However, the Concours will take place in a public venue, therefore you may attend to view the cars and interact with LOG participants. Similarly, friends of LOG participants who are not registered LOG participants may also attend the Concours to view the event.

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/
post #96 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus69f2 View Post
THis is from the LOG web site FAQ:

Q: I want to attend the Concours but not the rest of the LOG. Is this allowed?

A: In order to display a car in the Concours and be eligible for an award you must be a paid registered participant in LOG 36. However, the Concours will take place in a public venue, therefore you may attend to view the cars and interact with LOG participants. Similarly, friends of LOG participants who are not registered LOG participants may also attend the Concours to view the event.
Thank you. Very helpful info.
post #97 of 192 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walter View Post
That was my other plan- just leave it at the Marriott. I'm assuming it would be fine there. I'd just have to hitch a quick ride to Princeton Station.
Walter, I'm not sure if this would help you or not, but my office is in Valley Stream, on Long Island, a 35-40 minute train ride via the Long Island Railroad to Penn Station. I have space in my yard, and possibly in the garage where my Lotus spends it's time when not being driven (I'm a car dealer, have plenty of space on my premises). If you don't want to shlep all the way back to Princeton to get your car, I could "car sit" for you, free of charge, of course. I am planning on leaving LOG sometime on Sunday, and will be back in my office on Monday. PM me if interested.

See you all there!

'07 Exige S - Graphite Gray
'14 Scion iQ (to park damn near anywhere)
'17 Lexus NX200
'17 BMW M3 6MT
post #98 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:02 PM

Thanks Shoof. I'll get it all figured when I get to Princeton. At this point, it's probably easiest to leave it at the hotel for a couple nights.

1966 BRG Elan SE (sold)
2008 Isotope Green Exige 240
2017 Metallic Blue Evora 400
post #99 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 PM
Jeff

Garage
The extended forecast says that we'd better pack umbrellas for Saturday's concours! 58% chance of a thunderstorm between 9am and 1pm. Hopefully the forecast will change before then... especially since it sounds like we'll be parking on grass.

Anyone in the Princeton area have any suggestions for a nice place for dinner Thursday night? It's my wedding anniversary Wednesday and we'll have no time to do anything that night so I was thinking a nice dinner Thursday with my better half might be nice. Feel free to PM if you don't want to clutter up the official LOG thread, or go ahead and reply here, or I'll just check the internet, that's fine too.

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Elise, 1965 Elan S2
post #100 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:59 PM

Even an old guy like me was able to load the LOG 36 app. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Meets and events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in