Lotus Owners Gathering 36 Princeton NJ - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlondoner View Post
For those officially registered and staying at the Marriott, how are parking spots allocated? Is there adequate space between each vehicle and security patrolling the area at night?
If i'm not mistaken, I think the entire hotel is reserved for LOG.

'07 Exige S - Graphite Gray
'14 Scion iQ (to park damn near anywhere)
'17 Lexus NX200
'17 BMW M3 6MT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 11:45 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

The entire Marriott is booked for LOG 36. Registered attendees will be assigned a dedicated parking space for the duration by LOG 36. This Marriott is fairly high end and located in a pastoral, wooded setting. You may want to call the hotel for their provided site security.
post #123 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 03:08 AM

As Rick stated - Lotus parking is assigned.

The main lot is large and is dedicated to Lotus. The parking spots are normal sized and are plenty big to hold a Lotus without worrying about damage (the first few cars have arrived - see the pic below).

The hotel is secluded and if I recall correctly the hotels security will also keep an eye on it.

There is another lot in the back for trailers and non Lotus cars.
Attached Images

"People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living. People don't say that about you...as far as you know."

LotusPALS http://lotuspals.ning.com/

2006 Elise
2013 Evora S IPS

post #124 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

Just got back from the Marriott. Lotus cars and their attendees were coming in this afternoon ready for tomorrow's kick off. Facility signage is up, the parking lot is ready for you to claim a space, and the bar is open! Met a lot of fellow volunteers and participants. Interesting, smart, and friendly, with solid information and better stories. Where else in your lifetime will you see 4 vintage Lotus Formula race cars staged and displayed inside your hotel? The next 3 days are going to be both fun and memorable.
exlondoner likes this.

Last edited by RPetry; 08-04-2016 at 04:10 PM.
post #125 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 06:40 PM
Jeff

Garage
The first wave of LOONYs have arrived. Well, me slightly later as I went straight to my anniversary dinner with the wife (we ended up at Seasons 52) - and when I arrived, a police car was circling the lot with his spotlight on for several minutes. I assume they'll be making regular sweeps.

We had a nice drive with good weather. One somewhat amusing thing was my wife not realizing who Bob Dance was, they were sitting side-by-side at lunch, and she asked what he does for a living. She was embarrassed when she realized who he was. He was a real sweetheart and it was fun chatting over lunch.

The other memorable part was when a damned black bear, of all things, tore across the expressway RIGHT in front the Elise in front of me deep in Pennsylvania - thank goodness the bear wasn't hit, but I think if you tag a bear with a Lotus on the way to LOG, you would deserve some sort of special recognition award. I was taking time-lapse pictures of the drive, I have to see if I managed to catch a picture of him.

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Elise, 1965 Elan S2
post #126 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 PM

The Marriott Hotel hired extra security for the LOG36 event. They patrol the parking lot all night long plus the local police were informed to keep watch. All Good. A perfect evening tonight, low humidity and cool weather. The Marriot opened an outside bar on the way to the main parking lot so you could have a drink and walk around the lot looking at all the cars. Quite a few Lotus' for the day before LOG. Looking forward to everyone else arriving tomorrow!

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #127 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 AM Thread Starter

Things are sure to get swinging today

When Coterie PRess arrives look for this special debut book - https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/n...dverts-377721/

Also look out for the Private Label beer from River Horse the we arranged especially for LOG.

Kyle Kaulback '56 Mark VI '71 Type61mX '71 Type69 FF '71 Type 69 F2 '77 Super 907 '91 M100 Elan '91 Omega LotusSport 110 '05 Elise(custodian) '13 Evora S

http://LotusPALS.ning.com/
post #128 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 02:41 PM

At LOG.

Complete with blue Subaru Legacy GT Limited.

Long story, but there is no failure of the Elise.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #129 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
At LOG.

Complete with blue Subaru Legacy GT Limited.

Long story, but there is no failure of the Elise.
No shame in that, my Subaru has been to enough Lotus events to be in ReMarque 2-3 times.

Better here in a non-Lotus than not here at all. Heck, before my first LOG, my Elan burnt its valves and I had to drive my Dodge Daytona... my last non-Subaru daily driver!

post #130 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

LOG 36 - Lotus Formula cars

Four vintage formula cars staged in one of the Marriott's lobbies The monitor on the wall displays a short description of each.

Very classy!
Attached Images

iDuc likes this.
post #131 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:44 AM

Looks like a good LOG. How was attendance this year? Next years LOG announced yet? Is there a site where pictures have been posted? Thank you.
Steve V. In Arizona
post #132 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Have you GYLO'd?

LOG 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.vman View Post
Looks like a good LOG. How was attendance this year? Next years LOG announced yet? Is there a site where pictures have been posted? Thank you.
Steve V. In Arizona
LOG 37 will be held in May, at Birmingham, Alabama. (I think 5/19 thru 5/22/17.) They will use Barber Motorsports Park for track day and autocross.

Pictures when I get a chance to breathe - probably Monday.

--Bob Collum

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!
post #133 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:18 PM
glb

Kyle and Glenn did a wonderful job this year. So many great touches, even little ones.

(Like Lotus vases on each banquet table, filled with Lotus M&Ms....)

Lobby looked like we might in the Lotus HQ.

GREAT job, guys!!

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #134 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Cogito ergo zoom!

I have been in a business for all of my life. After college, worked for two, and started three. Wasted time and $ at too many conventions and 'events'.

LOG 36 is my first just for fun. The organizers should consider a new venture. Terrific 3 days. Very well done.
post #135 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 04:40 PM
Jeff

Garage
I just arrived home after spending the morning at Grounds for Sculpture (which was, as promised, very cool!) It was a really good event and my wife and I enjoyed it. (All LOG attendees driving a Lotus would know us as the volunteers telling you "15 seconds!" as you came into the concours area!) The weather held out pretty well, with some hard rain Saturday night but that was about it. I understand there was a poor M100 left with its top down in the rain... hopefully getting so soggy won't damage it too much.

I would have liked to have stayed for tonight's buffet and speaker, too, but school-age kids meant coming back home and giving my parents a break from watching them. Now to start going through my photos...

The lobby was great, between the Dahlstrom ads on the wall, the Lotus bicycle, and the extremely cool Lotus gravity racers that competed at Goodwood. The staff was very good and seemed genuinely happy to have us. One problem we found was that housekeeping recycled our LOG beer bottles that we were saving when they cleaned our room Sunday night. The staff promised to talk to housekeeping and they gave us another set to take with us since we were checking out.

I really don't think I'll be able to make next year's - again, having school-age kids makes it extremely hard to make a LOG that's during the school year, especially when it's a looong away - but I look forward to whichever one we attend next.

One thing for next year's organizers - don't underestimate the size of the room for the tech talks. A 50-person room, like at LOG36, is just not big enough. Having a microphone would be helpful too.

That being said, LOG36's banquet room was great and the A/V generally worked extremely well, a real step above any that I've attended. (This was my fifth, my last one was LOG33.)

Oh, I was very happy that my new-to-me Elise drove the 11.5 hours there, various places all weekend, and the 6 hours back without putting a tread block wrong. Who says a Lotus can't be reliable?

post #136 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Have you GYLO'd?

LOG 36 in Princeton, NJ

We just got back to our room after the Sunday dinner. Another great club event in the books - excellent job (as always) by the Philadelphia Area Lotus Society, PALS. Looking forward to Birmingham in May!

--Bob Collum
Attached Images

post #137 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Have you GYLO'd?

LOG 36 People

It sounds like a cliche, but a key reason we keep going to LOGs is the people. Folks we see once a year, and the shared experience and love of the marque... a great time!

Second-to-last picture below... My wife, Debbie, with Elisa Artioli (the Elise was named for her!) and Vickie Flier. The last photo... the NoVA Lotus car club contingent, at the concours...

--Bob Collum
Attached Images

post #138 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Jeff

Garage
If anyone cares, I've posted my time-lapse of our journey from upstate NY to Princeton. 5 Elises (all different colors, even!), Evora S, Caterham 7, and a Jaguar sporting a Lotus badge. This was the first group of LOONYs, along with Elisa and her boyfriend and Richard Parramint and Bob Dance. The crazed black bear that ran in front of us is not visible, unfortunately.

post #139 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 PM

Mmmmm first and last... Some nice things and definitely some big misses. The Lunch fiasco and line at the park was absurd. I and many just walked away despite paying $22 for truck food no less. open it up longer instead of late and having a 1hr plus wait in line!. I was told one of the tech meetings on the Elise was cancelled. No real organized drive or track. Met some people from online and that was nice. I liked the race car display and the buffet. The concourse show at the park was tricky for low cars and actually had a guy curse me out for not driving fast enough over the gravel and onto the grass. As I said some nice things and some big misses too. Lotus needs to court and show the product to get the next generations in. It looked like mostly an old crowd. Get young volunteers and give them free or discounted admission. I feel like Lotus in marinating in its own pool of demographics. Meeting Elisa was nice and she was very friendly to all, she is a nice ambassador for the Elise

Last edited by Lotus F1; 08-08-2016 at 09:44 PM.
post #140 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
Mmmmm first and last... Some nice things and definitely some big misses. The Lunch fiasco and line at the park was absurd. I and many just walked away despite paying $22 for truck food no less. open it up longer instead of late and having a 1hr plus wait in line!. I was told one of the tech meetings on the Elise was cancelled. No real organized drive or track. Met some people from online and that was nice. I liked the race car display and the buffet. The concourse show at the park was tricky for low cars and actually had a guy curse me out for not driving fast enough over the gravel and onto the grass. As I said some nice things and some big misses too. Lotus needs to court and show the product to get the next generations in. It looked like mostly an old crowd. Get young volunteers and give them free or discounted admission. I feel like Lotus in marinating in its own pool of demographics. Meeting Elisa was nice and she was very friendly to all, she is a nice ambassador for the Elise
Well, as a veteran of over 20 LOG's I can agree with your frustration over the food line. It happens all the time and for various reasons. Each LOG is run by the local group and not the national club, which oversees it but does not run it, thus the details which are important to the individuals running it are focused on, and other details are not. Every location is different and the results are different, something that works one place doesn't the next. One caterer says they will show up with 20 people and shows up with 5. I don't know why they food trucks did not open earlier, that would seem obvious, but oh well...

Yes it is an older crowd, but then again I arrived at my first LOG at 22 years old, and it did not bother me. Some of that older crowd have become my friends for over 30 years. There are few in the rest of my life that have done the same.

I don't know who would have complained about you driving slow, maybe they were overheating....or maybe some impatient youngster...........

I complain every year about the problems that crop up every year, but it does not stop me coming, it is, as mentioned above, the people, against a backdrop of cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Meets and events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in