Lotus Owners Gathering 36 Princeton NJ - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:19 AM

The "issues" at this LOG were small potatoes in the grand scheme of things...I thought they did a great job...but then, any LOG is always my favorite event of any year...
glb likes this.

2012 Lotus Evora S GP Edition #14/14
1995 Lotus Esprit S4
1991 Toyota MR2
1987 Renault GTA

www.91MR2.multiply.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 AM
Jeff

Garage
The food trucks were frustrating - but at least there were three, it wasn't everyone lined up at a single one. In retrospect, having 4-5 may have been better, what with ~350 people or so there. The extremely humid weather didn't help, either - my wife was anxious enough to go back to the hotel for a shower and A/C that she drove my Elise while I was still eating my sandwich! I never had a chance for ice cream, of course. I had hoped to see some of the other stuff at the park, but it was just too uncomfortable. I can't really blame them for that. At least it wasn't the week before, when it was all thunderstorms, and we were lucky to miss the storm when we did.

Speaking of food, the Friday reception had a really great food setup and there were no problems at the Saturday banquet. I can't speak for Sunday since I wasn't there! Oh, and not handing out awards during the banquet was a good idea since it still went really long.

Being rushed to get on the field was probably partly due to the photography setup. The goal was to get a photo of every single car and owner. Despite this, there was still a missing photo during the awards. When we tried this at LOG33, we shot the cars when they were actually parked. We missed a few and didn't have the people in them, but it was easier for the attendees. We also did 3/4 views, which I preferred over the side shots at LOG36 - a lot of the cars look the same from the side! Still, the process went smoother than I expected it to.

Re: the crowd - well, this is an event for Lotus people, not a PR event. Besides, in this regard, this LOG was actually better than others, since the concours was in a public area, not somewhere private. I heard someone else suggest finding local non-Lotus volunteers, but seems a little tricky. I suppose you could set up a sign at a C&C or similar car event?

Oh, and my understanding is that the Elige talk was canceled because the speaker wasn't able to make it to LOG - unfortunate but not the organizer's fault.
glb likes this.

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Elise, 1965 Elan S2
post #143 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 AM

Ups:
Nice hotel, great that we could 'own' the place. Some of the nicest most helpful staff I have seen.
Parking placards, having your own space was very cool
Food, while table mates were not over fond of the steak, everything else all weekend was really good, especially for convention food
Overall execution was excellent. Neither heard nor witnessed any major[or really even minor] snafus

Downs:
Really minor 'niggles' if you will
Please, for us driving sans navigator, put mileage on the directions, it is nerve racking for us half blind and ADD to keep looking at the directions and wondering, is this road coming in 2 miles or 200 feet?

What was up with the hotel's inability to deal with cash, never seen anything like it

Yeah, the lines at the food on Saturday, I think if they opened them at 11 or something it would have eased the rush

Two things that qualify as pet peeves for me. They are not criticisms of this LOG at all

First, while the pic rolling into the event was cool, almost every single year getting onto the concours field is tedious. To the point that more times than I can count I have driven onto the field and told the organizers to find me when they want me to move. Yeah, I'm a jerk, but I heard that 3 cars were overheating[or had owners nervous of this]. Everything that makes a 40 or 50 year old Lotus sit in traffic is 'bad' period. Stop it!

Second, when your guest speaker says, oh, yeah, I thought I was going to be speaking in a more informal Q&A it is a message. Stop it! I have seen more guys who are important to the marque but are not professional speakers try to give a formal speech and it is a disservice to the audience, but most of all to the speaker. Especially with the setup of this hotel, with multiple public spaces where a speaker could do a less formal talk, to even a large amount of people, I think personally that is much better. Unless you have Satch Carlson, or the late Innes Ireland, give these guys a break, introduce them, have them speak for 5 minutes and then bring them out so people can buy them drinks and chat about the old days and get a better idea of who they really are.

Again, a really fun event, and if you have not been you should, and you young guys, I was doing it at 22, 25, every year of my 30's , so get to LOG, and take over, so you too can start wondering, when did I become one of the old guys?

post #144 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by exigegus View Post
Please, for us driving sans navigator, put mileage on the directions, it is nerve racking for us half blind and ADD to keep looking at the directions and wondering, is this road coming in 2 miles or 200 feet?
I agree with this! We actually only used the directions once - concours to hotel - and had to fall back to GPS pretty quickly as we got mixed up almost immediately upon leaving the park. Perhaps even a small map with the route overlaid (like you get from any online map site giving directions) would help, too.

Quote:
To the point that more times than I can count I have driven onto the field and told the organizers to find me when they want me to move.
Moving is a pain - but I understand that the panoramic photo requires some adjustments for various reasons. I'm sure that Doug isn't moving cars just to be a jerk.

Quote:
Second, when your guest speaker says, oh, yeah, I thought I was going to be speaking in a more informal Q&A it is a message. Stop it!
The speaker seemed divisive - I found his talk quite interesting if a bit dry (and I have no particular tie to Lotus in the '80s) but it was clear that some others were bored to tears. What can you do.

Quote:
Again, a really fun event, and if you have not been you should, and you young guys, I was doing it at 22, 25, every year of my 30's , so get to LOG, and take over, so you too can start wondering, when did I become one of the old guys?
Regarding the age thing - part is the reason there's so many old guys is that most young guys can't afford a Lotus and middle-agers are too busy with non-Lotus things like work and kids. I'd love to go to every LOG but with a 7 and 11-year-old at home, it's very difficult to get away, especially if my wife comes along. For most people, when the kids are grown and you've got a Lotus and can get away from work for a long weekend - guess what, you're old. I did manage to squeeze in two LOGs before the kids but I didn't have the money then to go any that weren't close to home.

post #145 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:46 PM

This was my first LOG. I only came for the concours, but still had a good time meeting some of the LT members. Thank you Mick for bringing my mirrors!

I also want to thank Cora for helping with the whole late registration process. She made it so smooth for my brother and I. If you're reading this Cora, special thanks to you.

Finally, how can I get a hold of the individual car pics and the panoramic pic?
TransForged likes this.
post #146 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
Keep checking the LOG36 and Lotus Ltd websites
LOG 36

TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss

'73 Elan Sprint DHC
'91 Elan M100
'66 Elan S2 DHC
Odds 'n ends Lotus now 'n then...
TaylorMadeClassicCars on WWW and Facebook
post #147 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 06:10 PM
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
This was my first LOG. I only came for the concours, but still had a good time meeting some of the LT members. Thank you Mick for bringing my mirrors!

I also want to thank Cora for helping with the whole late registration process. She made it so smooth for my brother and I. If you're reading this Cora, special thanks to you.

I don't think there's any mechanism in place to get the individual car photos. The photographer was the son of Glen from PALS, I imagine he can be tracked down without too much effort. (I found his YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/user/GlenElectronic ) His other son did some video and drone work during the event, highlights of which were shown before the banquet. Hopefully that'll make its way onto YouTube at some point.

For the panoramic, you'd need to get in touch with Doug Chadwick - the closest I can find is a web page here: http://www.patchworkfilms.com/doug.htm
I do have an extra order form for the photo, here's his contact info:
Douglas B. Chadwick
PO Box 99
Hillsboro, WV 24946
304-653-4916
Call to order a print. You'll choose with or without people, and the print is $50, and if you want, $160 for a standard frame and $290 for a deluxe (green/yellow matting, LOG36 logo) frame. The frame prices aren't terribly unreasonable; I've got two from previous LOGs and the size of the pictures means you need a custom frame and they get very expensive very quickly.

Finally, Cora is awesome, and it was her birthday, too!

Last edited by Groucho; 08-09-2016 at 06:49 PM. Reason: wrong URL
post #148 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus F1 View Post
Mmmmm first and last... Some nice things and definitely some big misses. The Lunch fiasco and line at the park was absurd. I and many just walked away despite paying $22 for truck food no less. open it up longer instead of late and having a 1hr plus wait in line!. I was told one of the tech meetings on the Elise was cancelled. No real organized drive or track. Met some people from online and that was nice. I liked the race car display and the buffet. The concourse show at the park was tricky for low cars and actually had a guy curse me out for not driving fast enough over the gravel and onto the grass. As I said some nice things and some big misses too. Lotus needs to court and show the product to get the next generations in. It looked like mostly an old crowd. Get young volunteers and give them free or discounted admission. I feel like Lotus in marinating in its own pool of demographics. Meeting Elisa was nice and she was very friendly to all, she is a nice ambassador for the Elise
Every party has a "Pooper" .... Guess you're it!
post #149 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:05 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Keep the constructive criticism coming, folks! Many of the points raised here were already noted during the event, and were passed on to Lotus Ltd for consideration in future LOG planning.

It's difficult to please everyone, for sure.

PS: When faced with the long lunch-truck lines, I just had some ice cream to hold me over! It was cooling and delicious.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R
post #150 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I don't think there's any mechanism in place to get the individual car photos. The photographer was the son of Glen from PALS, I imagine he can be tracked down without too much effort. (I found his YouTube page here: https://www.youtube.com/user/GlenElectronic ) His other son did some video and drone work during the event, highlights of which were shown before the banquet. Hopefully that'll make its way onto YouTube at some point.

For the panoramic, you'd need to get in touch with Doug Chadwick - the closest I can find is a web page here: Patchwork Films - Doug Chadwick
I do have an extra order form for the photo, here's his contact info:
Douglas B. Chadwick
PO Box 99
Hillsboro, WV 24946
304-653-4916
Call to order a print. You'll choose with or without people, and the print is $50, and if you want, $160 for a standard frame and $290 for a deluxe (green/yellow matting, LOG36 logo) frame. The frame prices aren't terribly unreasonable; I've got two from previous LOGs and the size of the pictures means you need a custom frame and they get very expensive very quickly.

Finally, Cora is awesome, and it was her birthday, too!
Thanks Groucho! I emailed Doug already.
post #151 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 05:23 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
I emailed Doug already.
Best to follow up with a phone call... this week.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #152 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Indeterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89esprit View Post
Every party has a "Pooper" .... Guess you're it!
11th post in 6 years. LOL.
post #153 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 06:08 PM

121 isn't much to brag about either Dunc.
post #154 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 02:06 AM
Indeterminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89esprit View Post
121 isn't much to brag about either Dunc.
im not laughing that you have a low post count, but at the content. You pop up for your 11th post in years just to put someone down. Thought it was funny.
89esprit likes this.
post #155 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:48 AM

My first LOG event, heres my take.... the hotel, service and accommodations were first rate we even had a early check-in! Lotus decorations all around the lobby were over the top...just eye candy everywhere you look. Food was nourishing...liquids, cold and delicious.
In general, all events were well organized and well executed...remember shuffling 300+ people around is no easy feat. Lucky, no rain.. just New Jersey's typical hot,humid,August. Now the really good stuff...the people....the cars....the people ....the cars... WOW. We met many great people all weekend long and made new friends too...the very reason we (wife and I) came to Log in the first place. The cars ...need I say more, never saw a gathering of almost 200 beautiful Lotus cars all in one parking lot,all at the same time! it was very exciting each time we went sightseeing around the lot multiple times a day (my favorite). If your a Lotus enthusiast, and can't get enough Lotus in your blood, I highly recommend you attend a LOG event....for me it was Lotus overload.. just loved it! (can you tell?) Richard

Last edited by Poorichard; 08-11-2016 at 04:04 PM.
post #156 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 03:56 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Tell us how you REALLY feel, @Poorichard. LOL

PS: By visiting the Ice Cream Truck before I got my lunch, I got to talk to Elisa!
Attached Images

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #157 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 04:07 AM
You can't make this up

I have about 78 pics for those that pm me a email address I will add you to the cloud file. Includes Grounds for Sculpture

Jenna
post #158 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 04:08 AM
You can't make this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbuff View Post
Tell us how you REALLY feel, @Poorichard. LOL

PS: By visiting the Ice Cream Truck before I got my lunch, I got to talk to Elisa!
I would love to know the full story behind the car being named after her
post #159 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 04:20 AM
Have you GYLO'd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna'sEspritTurbo View Post
I would love to know the full story behind the car being named after her
It's fairly simple. In 1993, GM owned Lotus. They sold it to Bugatti International, a company formed to bring back the long-defunct Bugatti brand. The CEO of Bugatti was Romano Artioli. Shortly after he bought Lotus, they introduced the car that we know as the Elise S1. Mr. Artioli liked it, and knew that a proper Lotus needs to have a model name starting with "E". He suggested 'Elise', after his granddaughter. (Elisa told us they used 'Elise', since it was less-obviously Italian. I guess that might be confusing on an English car.)

At the world press introduction, Elisa was in the car when they pulled the cover off!

--Bob Collum
Attached Images

Jenna'sEspritTurbo likes this.

Northern Virginia Lotus Club. Contact me to get on the mailing list!

Last edited by rcollum; 08-11-2016 at 04:41 AM.
post #160 of 192 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 04:38 AM

Garage
I thought that every Lotus enthusiast knew that there is no such word as Loti or Lotuses; the official plural of the word Lotus is pure and simply just Lotus.

David.

2015 Dodge Charger R/T Premium (Daily Driver)
2001 Lotus Esprit V8 (Weekend Driver)
2011 Dodge Charger Rallye (Sold)
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife's car but great for golf trips and hauling stuff)
2001 Superformance S1 (Sold)
1968 Mini Cooper (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Meets and events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in