Lotus Owners Gathering 37 May 19-22, 2017 - Birmingham - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:45 PM

No helmets are required for Friday at Talladega laps but will be required for the Autocross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:49 PM

You will NOT need a helmet for the laps on the Superspeedway, but will need one for the Autocross as we have always done in the past.
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 06:04 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Can the Wet Skid Pad Car Control class on Monday be run if you are doing the HDPE as well? (A local owner was asking)
Higgy likes this.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

"Not all angels have wings." - Turbo R

post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 07:01 PM
Jeff

Garage
No helmet pretty much says it all. I imagine I'll do it (might be the fastest that I get the Elise up to! assuming I get in the right group!) but I certainly won't expect anything like an HPDE. If there's no overlap, I'll probably do the autocross too. Might be a good chance to get a better feel of the Elise before the HPDE - I've only had it for about a year and haven't really pushed it yet.

I used loaner helmets in occasional autocrossing for several years and finally bought my own before my first HPDE, in Sebring, LOG32. I went cheap and got a Zamp, they go for about $150 at Amazon for a full face, but they pass all the tests and I don't need anything fancy. I let my kids go at it with some Sharpies so it looks a bit, umm, interesting. Point being - it's not THAT expensive to buy your own helmet and it's worth it if you're going to use it more than once or twice. I even use mine at the Pole Position go-karting in the mall.

I don't think I'll bother with the wet skidpad, I get plenty of low-traction practice with the white stuff all over the roads up here. That kind of driving can be a lot of fun though, and those who don't do a lot of snow driving might derive extra benefit since they're not used to that type of driving.
Higgy likes this.

2013 Subaru BRZ, 2005 Elise, 1965 Elan S2
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM

The Wet skid pad will be running concurrently with the track day. While you are waiting for your run group, go up the hill 1 level in the paddock and give the wet skidpad a try! I think we will have it in a figure 8. If you go onto google maps you can see the dark patch in the paddock area with 2 white circles. That is the wet Skidpad. It takes up one level of the west side paddock.

I am being told that on Sunday, the promoters of the Historic races are letting people autocross the Barber proving grounds for a fee. I do not know how much that is right now but it will be a lot of fun. I do not know about helmet requirements or anything more than what i just told you. I will post further as i find out more.

Let me know if anyone has any more questions.

Higgy
Chairman LOG37
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:07 AM

New Hotel info

The host hotel Hilton is now fully booked. We now have a block of rooms set aside for us at the hotel down the hill from the Hilton.

The Springhill Suites has set aside rooms for LOG37. If you have not booked your hotel you can book rooms here at 205-969-8099

I am working on trying to get a shuttle to run between the two hotels during the weekend.

Higgy
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Jeff

Garage
So someone could do Talladega laps on Friday, autocross on Friday, autocross on Sunday, HPDE on Monday, and wet skidpad on Monday? Well, the track rats should have nothing to complain about.

From reading the registration form, though, the LOG registration only gets you Saturday entry to Barber, is that correct? So going Sunday would require purchasing an admission ticket?

post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious L.R.G. View Post

Is the skid pad also part of Talladega, or Barber?
The Wet Skid Pad/Car Control clinic is on Monday at the HDPE at Barber, and costs $25 per driver.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:02 PM

Sunday admission for the Historic races is additional, but i found out that the Autocross is going to be approx $8-10 and may not need a helmet. MAY not, not sure, not yet.
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
No helmets are required for Friday at Talladega laps but will be required for the Autocross
I would wear a helmet for a bit more speed at Tally this time...
post #31 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James33 View Post
They should have loaner helmets. If that's the case I recommend some sort of head sock as loaner helmets can be kinda of icky. But you will need a helmet for the autocross and I'd assume the Talladega laps as well.
thanks for the info. I'm plan on getting this helmet on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Snell-SA2015-...th=1&psc=1#Ask

Do you guys have any other suggestions on a helmet?
post #32 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 01:45 PM

No connection with the company but I bought mine at www.saferacer.com

I bought a Race-Quip but I would not buy a helmet without a Hans Device.

Tony V

Tony Vaccaro
2005 Elise Ardent Red, www.lotusowners.com LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York) and the Church of the HolyLotus, Drive Fast Take Chances, 93 Caterham 7, 71 Elan, 70 Elan GTS, 1991 M100, 1999 Sport 190 Elise, 1974 Europa TC, 1973 Europa JPS #15 TwinCam.
post #33 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Another question I hope you guys can help me out. Should I get a full face helmet or a open face helmet like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Snell-SA2015-...%2Bhelmet&th=1
post #34 of 90 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Jeff

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exira View Post
Another question I hope you guys can help me out. Should I get a full face helmet or a open face helmet like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Snell-SA2015-...%2Bhelmet&th=1
I went with a full face helmet; I don't remember exactly why I chose that but I was very glad I did when I got a ride in Dave N's 211 - you do NOT want to be in a car like that without a full face helmet, unless you want to be picking bugs off your face! I don't think there's a lot of disadvantages to a full face; I can see fine and I doubt it's THAT much heavier and I figure that it has to be safer. It can be a little uncomfortable with my glasses but I'm sure that's the same with an open face. So that's my two cents.

It sounds like I do need to pick up some arm restraints since this'll be my first HPDE in my Elise (previous ones were in my BRZ), and unless it's pouring, I'd much rather run with the top off!

I did register for Talledega laps, autocross, and the HPDE at Barber, so this'll give me a good chance to get much more comfortable with the Elise's limits.
Exira likes this.

post #35 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter

Getting closer to this! April is next Saturday! Got everything paid for and room booked. I'm just waiting!

2015 Alfa Romeo 4c
2018. Lotus Evora 400
2010 Toyota 4Runner Limited
post #36 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 04:47 PM

Full face helmet is the safest. Here is mine
Attached Images

glb and Deet3450 like this.

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #37 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:52 PM
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by khamai View Post
...The last time my Elise was at Barber was in 2004 with less than 300 miles on the ODO...
You were one of the lucky few who got their Elise in time. Mine was still a couple months away. That was my first LOG and I remember it well. Barber is such an epic facility and I highly encourage everyone to come out to this years LOG.

I'm trying to organize a transporter for west coast cars...

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #38 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 PM
Jeff

Garage
Well, I found one problem with the Barber track. It's woefully underrepresented in the racing video game world! (This is true of most US tracks, unfortunately. It's rare to see even top tracks like Watkins Glen or Sebring.) As far as I can tell, no game comes with it built-in. I wanted to do some virtual practice before driving it for real, so I went on the hunt.

My first find was that iRacing has an official representation of Barber. I found a free 3-month membership I picked up at an IMSA race last year and signed up... only to find that the basic membership only gives you a small handful of tracks, you need to buy each extra track. Barber is $12 - on top of the monthly subscription... yeah, I don't think so. From what I can see, iRacing only makes sense if you don't mind spending a lot (LOT) of money and mostly care about racing online - which I couldn't care less about. No sale.

I dug some more and lo and behold, I find that someone manually built the track as an add-on for rFactor several years ago, and that's been adapted to a few other games (GT Legends, GTR2, Race07, rFactor 2, etc) - I already have several of those in Steam, so I quickly installed GTR2, added the track, and there it is - a pretty decent representation of the track. I did a few laps with a gamepad and will try it with the proper steering wheel tomorrow and start getting some laps in.
If you go looking, the trick is that it's often listed as "Birmingham", not Barber. I found the downloads at a forum called NoGripRacing - you need to register but it's all free. While you're there, you can pick up the Lotus test track in Hethel, too!

In the "real" world, my Elise exhaust just got welded up today - no more squeaky Larini until its warms up - then the HIDs go in and the new steering rack gets installed, then it should be all set for the trip and I can focus on the Elan!
James33 likes this.

post #39 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 03:45 AM
Wingless Wonder

Garage
Don't know about this year's plans, but in 2009 they had a racing simulator set up at the HQ hotel with the Barber track on it. You'd better plan to arrive early if you want to gain proficiency, LOL.

Maybe @Higgy will respond, he would know of any actual plans.

Atwell Haines
'88 Esprit
Succasunna, NJ USA

post #40 of 90 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 07:39 AM
Jeff

Garage
I did run a few laps this morning with my steering wheel (after a bunch of faffing about getting things configured right) and it works pretty well on the ol' game (GTR2, although I'll try it in a few others for comparison.) I did find a nice video showing an Indycar racing at Barber compared to the same car and track in rFactor2, which is essentially using the same track as was set up in the original rFactor, GTR2, GT Legends, etc.

It is a fun track and there's one little spot that feels a bit like the corkscrew at Laguna Seca. Now to memorize it...

I'm not worried about finding a virtual Talledega track - it's just straight, left, straight, left, straight, left, etc, etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Meets and events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in