15 inch Autocross/Street Tires (Elise) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdawson

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
15 inch Autocross/Street Tires (Elise)

Hi team,

I have recently started preparing a new car for next season. I will be running 15 inch tires (225/45/15) square and wanted to ask opinions about tires in this size. The car is very light and may have issues getting to temp from what I have read (All my other Autocross cars have been significantly heavier, and I'm in my first Elise). I figure i have such a great wealth of knowledge here to draw upon, so why not ask? Surely someone has used this size here before.

It seems that RE71's are not an option for me, and I have a selection of unfamiliar tires to choose from. I will be running the tires on both street and on the parking lots. Tell me some thoughts on the tires I can see as options and any I haven't listed. I am listing options for both a 45 aspect as well as a 50 aspect.

Toyo R888 (the first obvious choice)
Toyo Proxies R1R
Toyo Proxie RA1
Hankook Ventus R-S4
Kuhmo Exsta V720
Nexen N FERA SUR4G
BFGOODRICH G-FORCE RIVAL
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5
Nitto NT01
Pierlli P Zero
Yokohama ADVAN A048

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal-44 View Post
Hi team,

I have recently started preparing a new car for next season. I will be running 15 inch tires (225/45/15) square and wanted to ask opinions about tires in this size. The car is very light and may have issues getting to temp from what I have read (All my other Autocross cars have been significantly heavier, and I'm in my first Elise). I figure i have such a great wealth of knowledge here to draw upon, so why not ask? Surely someone has used this size here before.

It seems that RE71's are not an option for me, and I have a selection of unfamiliar tires to choose from. I will be running the tires on both street and on the parking lots. Tell me some thoughts on the tires I can see as options and any I haven't listed. I am listing options for both a 45 aspect as well as a 50 aspect.

Toyo R888 (the first obvious choice)
Toyo Proxies R1R
Toyo Proxie RA1
Hankook Ventus R-S4
Kuhmo Exsta V720
Nexen N FERA SUR4G
BFGOODRICH G-FORCE RIVAL
BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5
Nitto NT01
Pierlli P Zero
Yokohama ADVAN A048
For autoX, don't even bother with the 100tw R comps, the super 200s are king. (not including hoosiers)

RE71s
Rivals
RS4
SUR4G
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 04:34 AM

RE71R
BFG Rival-S
Nexen NFERA SUR4G

That's really the end of the list for competitive autocross tires in 2018/2019. Some clubs have slightly different rules where you have to run something with more or less treadwear rating, but most of North America requires 200TW for street tire classes. All three of those tires should be available in Canada, but you may need to order online.

Don't worry about the car being light. It's heavy enough for the tire sizes that you will be able to fit. The Bridgestone and Nexen work well cold anyway.

donour

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal-44 View Post
I will be running 15 inch tires (225/45/15) square and wanted to ask opinions about tires in this size.
Out of curiosity - what's your reasoning for switching to 15" rear wheels? If your auto-x courses are typical <70mph layouts, you'll be between 2nd and 3rd much more often than you would with a 16/17 or 15/17 setup. The 15 square setup is more common amongst track cars... but it wouldn't be my top choice for auto-x.
Silver_Surfer likes this.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by donour View Post
RE71R

BFG Rival-S

Nexen NFERA SUR4G

That's really the end of the list for competitive autocross tires in 2018/2019. Some clubs have slightly different rules where you have to run something with more or less treadwear rating, but most of North America requires 200TW for street tire classes. All three of those tires should be available in Canada, but you may need to order online.

Don't worry about the car being light. It's heavy enough for the tire sizes that you will be able to fit. The Bridgestone and Nexen work well cold anyway.

donour

Iím familiar with the RE-71 having run them on a couple of heavy BMWís I used to race. I loved them.

The Rival has been suggested in my local clubs page and here, yet I donít think Iíve ever seen someone running them. Honestly though, my local group all run either Hoosiers, or the RE71Rs with a couple folks testing Zestino Softs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Light a man a fire you keep him warm for a night. Light a man ON fire you keep him warm the rest of his life.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Out of curiosity - what's your reasoning for switching to 15" rear wheels? If your auto-x courses are typical <70mph layouts, you'll be between 2nd and 3rd much more often than you would with a 16/17 or 15/17 setup. The 15 square setup is more common amongst track cars... but it wouldn't be my top choice for auto-x.
This!

I gave it a shot in 2014, I thought at the time the weight savings and ability to rotate tires was going to be worth it... after a few trips into 3rd gear, I decided it wasn't
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post

There were a few reasons. Firstly, I like the Volks and a great deal came my way on a square set.

I like square setups (my BMW Z4MC ran 265 square), so I can rotate the tires front to back. Since this car will also be nice day street driven as well as on the track, being able to rotate the tires front to back gives me the ability to more evenly control the wear.

Our local tracks max out around 95 kmph as we usually have to deal with smaller lots. While I get that I may need to grab third on the odd autocross, for the most part I believe I should be ok. Iím thinking about mitigating this by going to a 50 aspect ratio if I can, and minimize the delta between stock and the 15ís

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 09:51 AM

I run 225/255 15/17 bfg r1s on my elise for autox. I live in ND and we have a lot of small lots to run in so we have less speed. I have a hard time heating my front tires, but when they heat they are awesome. Seems like people with the a7 have better performance. Also in my club re71r and rs4 have similar performance. Rs4 is cheaper and have 225 and 245 in 15".
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Bumping up this thread. For this season I have resolved to try the 15's and see where it goes from there. I love my 15" Volk TE37 sl's and want to try and make them work.

I'll be running in SSP this year, and although I can run slicks, I'm not a change tire for race day type of guy. If I decide to go that route I may just put slicks on the stock wheels and claw back the time delta I'm leaving on the table by getting streetable tires for Autocross.

My findings so far have led me to a few choices in tires that fit the size requirements. To up the gearing a bit, I am looking for 225/50 tires on the rear instead of the 225/45 I was looking at the beginning of this thread. I have test fit the 205/50 on the front (My tire shop fitted loaners in 205/50 and 225/45 sizes on my wheels to test before I commit), and they work with room to spare lock to lock in a static situation.

Pirelli Trofeo R 205/50 and 225/50 UTQG 60 AA A
Toyo R888R 205/50 and 225/50 UTQG 100 AA A
Yoko Advan A048 205/50 and 225/50 UTQG 60 AA A

My car came with A048's on it in the stock 195/225 sizes, but I have never run them on the track as I bought the car just in time to put her to sleep for the harsh Canadian winter. I'll be running the tires on the street as well, but frankly I'm a grandpa driver on the street as my club is strict about hooliganism and banning people from events.

I'm interested to hear about experiences with the aforementioned tires and how they compare against each other in an autocross application specific to our cars.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I thought I'd chime in with my findings so far. I ended up getting a pair of 205/50 and a pair of 225/50 15's for Brynn. I settled on the Pirelli Trofeo R's as that's what my tire guy and I came to the conclusion would be the best starting point.

The fronts have about an inch clearance in all areas of concern through lock to lock. The suspension is the stock sport suspension and I have around 13 cm clearance in ride height up front. So far I'm loving the feel with the new stickier tires, and can't wait to hit the autocross.

Of course threads without pictures are less interesting, so here's what they look like.

Untitled by Duane Jacka, on Flickr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in