2014 SCCA Nats Pics and Results - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Bam! Looks like Ryan held strong in SSP.

Another Lotus Win!

So that's Lotus FTW in XP, SSM, and SSP.

...Something tells me that we won't see an Alfa 4C ever pull this off... just say'n
I'll put a honda engine in my Alfa. Rule the world !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:30 PM

Garage
Alien indeed.

If you look in the back of the solo handbook you'll see that for the last 30 or so years Mark Daddio is more likely than not to win whatever he enters. he's got something like 20 national championships. Gotta figure that at least a few of those times he didn't win the car broke or some other non-driving stuff got in the way...

I was totally thrilled to have him as an instructor for Evo School this year (challenge school).

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
You deleted your post Phil? Saying you knew the guy in third (in SS)?
Was gonna ask if you knew what he was doing on tires as he is listed as mixed.
Oh, and his wife took the GT3 to SSPL because SSL didn't make. Won handily. She put on Hoosiers. I would have liked to see the matchup with Pilar Miranda, who just ran open SS instead.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Well, I do know the guy in third. His first run in the GT3 held up as fastest all day, but he blames a push on the second day. Dunno what his tire setup was.

For our Lotus side, John Ma was right there both days, and .062 out of the SS championship is not too shabby.
Not shabby, no (congrats John!), but SS is a bit diluted this year.
Diminishing the previous SS is the only thing I am not happy about, wrt to moving stock to street tires.
Though, a spec Lotus/Porsche class will be enough fun in its own right. (as long as the numbers get/stay up)

Quote:
Nobody in the Lotus camp showed up for SSR or SSRL
Yeah. I figured there'd at least be a couple.

Quote:
Speaking of aliens, Mark Daddio wins AS without a tire-warmer.
Yeah. And Darren Seltzer won FM by 3 ****ing seconds.
Chris Dorsey checked out on EP. again. Which is amazing/disheartening, as Tim Smith, the runner up, usually checks out on us in the pro class in Atlanta.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:46 PM

Garage
Daren also is listed as top pax for the event...

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:52 PM

Garage
Bad news is with 3 ssm drivers in top 25 pax (including matt @#12) its likely that my pax factor gets worse next year

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-C View Post
I'll put a honda engine in my Alfa. Rule the world !
That will put you in XP against Fred... unless Alfa's normally run some sort of re-badged honda engine, then it would be Matt in SSM. I am sort of wondering if someone will kswap an elise and campaign it (seriously) in XP some day...

post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:08 PM

some more pics on this blog I found from googling
Heavy Throttle The Mecca of SCCA Competition, Lincoln Nebraska
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsparv View Post
Daren also is listed as top pax for the event...
Well that's at least 2 for him this year. He won Dixie too.

Can't wait to see some of the street class pax adjustments next year. First finisher is Jeff Stuart in CS, down at 222.

If anyone else is interested:
Solo Live Responsive Viewer
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Well, I do know the guy in third. His first run in the GT3 held up as fastest all day, but he blames a push on the second day. Dunno what his tire setup was.
Charles switched to Yokohama AD08Rs today, anticipating rain. I believe the west course favored the Elise width over the GT3 power. It was heavy with transitions and didn't feature many acceleration zones.

Big congrats to John Ma and Nick Myers for taking home trophies. John was sooo freaking close to taking home the SS win.

WAY FUN EVENT. I had a great time talking with fellow SS competitors and catching up with my old STR competitors throughout the week. My setup definitely worked well on the west course this morning. I was looking at my weather app every out last night, watching to see if/when rain was going to hit. Thankfully the weather remained clear for our heat - all runs were dry.

More to come when I have a chance to download my videos and pictures from the event...

2006 Lotus Elise
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 PM

And you were so close to knocking off Charles for third!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Charles switched to Yokohama AD08Rs today, anticipating rain. I believe the west course favored the Elise width over the GT3 power. It was heavy with transitions and didn't feature many acceleration zones.

Big congrats to John Ma and Nick Myers for taking home trophies. John was sooo freaking close to taking home the SS win.

WAY FUN EVENT. I had a great time talking with fellow SS competitors and catching up with my old STR competitors throughout the week. My setup definitely worked well on the west course this morning. I was looking at my weather app every out last night, watching to see if/when rain was going to hit. Thankfully the weather remained clear for our heat - all runs were dry.

More to come when I have a chance to download my videos and pictures from the event...

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 PM

No excuses but my car was terrible the first day on the East course. It was much better after some more rear toe and a front bar adjustment on the West course. I had a really good run on my third, but over cooked an entry and slid sideways to a stop. Still wouldn't have put me in the trophies. Congrats to all of the Lotus drivers at Nationals this year weather they trophied or not. It was great seeing all of you guys.

Regarding SSM on day 2, it started out mostly dry for first runs and started to lightly rain more for second runs really hurting the later part of the grid. Then it stopped raining and it looked to be a dry line forming for the later part of 3rd runs. Regardless of any of that, Glagola rocked it today with FTD in SSM.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 10:35 PM

Not bad results. One of these days we want to make it out there. I suck at auto cross but my wife does much better in her Elise. I still have a ball and love going for the people more than anything else.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Great meeting and running with everybody!

See you guys next year!

-John
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Elise Guru

It was a topsy-turvy week! Most of the Lotus guys waiting around until Thursday/Friday to get going. John Ma really represented for the SS guys, and the east course was the more power intensive and the west was speed-maintenance ie. lots of room to hang oneself.

Our mechanical fun started on the practice course Sunday. Ryan in SSP broke an Axle at the transmission. We loaned Ryan one of our spares. Monday the XP car was hit with a monster shudder under 25% power. Looking at the axles, they looked OK, so then it became an all-nighter to pull the transmission and check clutch. Nope. Tear down transmission. Nope. Tear down OS giken Diff. Nope. Back to axles. Just the slightest play in the outer at one spot. Put in our 2nd set of spares and it was good but ton of work.

On Tuesday/Wednesday, Mark Huffman in the Yellow Elan won DM. Mark dismantled the class on Day 1 on the technical west and held on to the win on the high-speed East.

On Thursday/Friday, John Ma came so close to wrapping up a Super Street title in his Elise only 0.062 of a second behind the GT3. Jake Dawson had a fantastic 4th place in a rush build. Bryan Carbon on his 1st trip to nationals got 7th in in the Trophies, with Iain Mannix and Billy Sapp finishing 10th and 12th respectively.

Next came SSM with Matt Glagola looking quite a ways out (0.8 second) after the power course, but the technical west course he just destroyed the competition with a 0.5 second advantage of the next closest competitor, winning his 2nd national championship.

In XP, we had a tough time on west with apparently 2 studs backing out of the hub causing the other nuts to loosen and ultimately trash the wheel bearing. We didn't find this until after the days runs. Net result, is that ultimately gave us massive amounts of dynamic toe change on the left side rear of the car making it very difficult to drive. Alex got really punished by it as compensating for crap handling with left foot braking is what I do. I put in a banker lap on the second run but it was slow and was lucky enough to land a pretty good one on the last run for just under a 3 tenth lead.

Day 2 the car was better but we had to battle weather. The last part of group 2 was damp but it marginally dried out before our runs. Bitterly cold and windy, tires had zero heat for either of our first 2 runs. I had a great run I coned away and got a clean one but a bit faster on the 3rd. Alex was the hero battling back for the second fastest clean time in XP and beating her co-driver. Her bad luck continued as one competitor got a re-run for McKee's muffler falling off in the finish chute. His 4th run bumped Alex out of the trophies. In the end, about a 1 second win for me.

In SSP, Ryan Johnson was about 4 tenths back on the fast east course and then jumped into the lead with his second run. After the 2nd drivers got their runs, the skies opened up and that was all she wrote. Everyone got 2 dry runs and Ryan secured his first championship.

Great to see everyone and congrats to all the Lotus competitors on the strong showing this year! Attached are a couple pics. Hopefully we'll see some videos!
Attached Images

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 05:14 AM

Jake is too modest to point out that he had the fastest time in class by ~.2 on the West course, which is splendid.

Was a fun week!

Iain
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 07:58 AM

I was thinking it would have been great to get all the Lotus drivers together for a group photo, maybe next year.

A special thanks to Fred and Blackwatch Racing for the on site Axle help, The Blackwatch spec OS Giken plus ton's of support and other parts. I had a spare drivers side axle but not the passenger side that broke. It was the original axle that had to have 4-500 Pro solo launches on it and literally thousands of autocross runs.

After watching my video from day 1 at the Pro Finale I was launching around 7,000 and would spin the tires right into the rev limiter on my first 2 runs. I decided to back it down to about 5,500 rpms on Sunday morning. Bad idea the car bogged and I red lit. I made that run fine and came around to start my second run and broke the axle at the line. I have broke 2 axles at the last two Pro's I attended and they both happened right after bogging it. Back to over revving it to make sure the tires break loose and not the axle.

I met Mathew for the first time this year. Great guy. He let me take a run in his car at the practice course and the tune that Phil did felt amazing. I'm regretting not being able to get my car back to him earlier this year. Logistics is a pita when your 1,000 miles away.

I have been going to Nationals since 2006 and don't think I have ever seen as many Loti there before. Hopefully even more next year.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 05:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
Hopefully even more next year.
Dunno if I can actually make it happen, but I'm scheming to try to get a co-driver who has a tow vehicle and trailer... so perhaps...

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:41 AM

Wow, that was fun! I'm surprised by the outcome in SSM.

So, on the Thursday before Nats, I was talking with Phil about options for tuning my 08. I've been waiting for the blackdash crack but getting pretty impatient. Anyway, I convinced him to make some time for me on Laborday weekend to make the switch to an 06 computer and to tune my heap. So I pack up for Lincoln a few days earlier than planned and head to Phil's shop.

You guys should see that place. I was impressed. Anyway, a few hours later we picked up nearly 30hp and 20ftlbs and most notably, the terrible tip-in hesitation my tune had was gone. This made the car really responsive and the power bump was noticeable to say the least.

Basically, my car would be nothing if it wasn't for BOE and BWR doing all the R&D and offering all these great, tested parts. There's no way I could have put together wheels and a supercharger kit that complete on my own without breaking the bank and parts.

Thanks guys. In two years of development, the car is capable of getting a National Championship. That's wild.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Elise Guru

Matt,

Our pleasure! I've been saying for years that SSM would be an awesome dual purpose build for the Elise. I am glad you were able to prove this point and get a championship doing it! Great drive!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in