Best Hand Placement - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 AM

Randy, It looks like your Noble puts down about 1 g acceleration in first and second. That must be nice (coming from someone that is used to an NA Elise). And +1 on 9 and 3 or 10 and 2 thumbs out and never need to shuffle steer on track but had to on a few autocrosses.

Hoosier tires won in 2009: 11

Thank you Hoosier and NASA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Forum Founder

Garage
Yes. I consistently record 1G acceleration. There was not a lot of places to use it on this course.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #63 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedDBere View Post
Couple of spots he scared me with yanks on the wheel in the middle of the turn. Like in the middle of oak tree. If I did that with a vette we'd be spinning. Why was he doing that?
At the oak tree he was getting trailing throttle (aka lift) oversteer, he straightens the wheel quickly to keep the car from spinning. This is a pretty common thing to happen on track in our cars going into corners off throttle or lifting. This is also the reason some of use are talking about not shuffle steering as you can loose wheel center and not know how far to turn the wheel to catch the rear from coming around.

2007 Exige S - Chili Red
2009 Mini Cooper S - Chili Red
Gotham 265, Nitron Sport Pro, Moroso oil pan, RTVBrace, Volk CE28N/R888, Cup Wheels/A048, 2Bular Ultra 4", Rapfix II w/ Sparco P300, S111 CF Splitter, Ultradiscs, Pagid RS42, V-Force Harness Bar, Schroth PROFI II, Fire Extinguisher, Folding Tow Hook, Odyssey PC680, re-ENFORCER, LLumar 30% tint, Traqmate, DashDAQ, Chasecam, Alpine IVA-D100 w/ Backup Camera.

post #64 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads_green View Post
One looked like to control understeer - he needed to take off the lock, brake a bit more and then get back on the lock pretty damn quick.

Another look like to get the back to move a little to make it "fun"

Vette will spin nlike most front engined cars in that situation as there's bugger all weight/load on the rears making it difficult.
Ok, I see what you're saying. I interpreted the tire squeal as push, not thottle off oversteer. Most of the videos I've seen with spins in that corner happen on exit, not mid-corner and the Elises I've driven all seem to push on corner entry. My first interpretation was he lost front grip, straightened the wheel to regain it and then whipped the wheel back to make the turn.

But viewing it again I can see it was oversteer and not push.

TED
post #65 of 70 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 11:32 PM

It's pretty rare in an Elise that you have to shuffle steer. Even for tight turnarounds, you can usually get away with hand-over-handing and keeping one hand constant. Here's the most hand-crazy video of mine I can find, and I don't see myself shuffling anywhere.

YouTube - 2009 Packwood NT Saturday Run

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
post #66 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:11 AM
2005 Elise 111R Owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by codingparadox View Post
It's pretty rare in an Elise that you have to shuffle steer. Even for tight turnarounds, you can usually get away with hand-over-handing and keeping one hand constant. Here's the most hand-crazy video of mine I can find, and I don't see myself shuffling anywhere.

For high speed sweeping turns I stay at 9 and 3 and cross over a bit. For moderate to low speed high acceleration turns I do the Fangio shuffle; getting my hands ready during deceleration for the optimum position for my hands during the turn. Typically very close to 9 and 3 throughout the turn. Takes a while to get used to it but becomes very comfortable so you can concentrate on the throttle. I can understand why Fangio drove that way rather than being crossed up like a pretzel.

Sent from my Elephone P7000 using Tapatalk

Patrick Van Rinsvelt
2005 Lotus Elise 111R Owner
Tauranga, New Zealand

Last edited by patvr; 09-30-2018 at 01:17 AM.
post #67 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 08:18 AM

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
post #68 of 70 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Now that this thread is on the front page for some reason I would like to call out all the very very terrible advice in it. 9-3 pull on the wheel and DON'T MOVE YOUR HANDS JESUS.
Jason Alderman likes this.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #69 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Red View Post
9 & 3, no shuffle. When you shuffle you can loose the center position of the wheel and have no idea how far to correct to catch the car if it gets loose. There are very few turns on tracks that require you to remove your hands from the wheel and re-position.

Disclaimer - Ive never AutoX'ed so it may be different there.
I have autocrossed.

I teach 9 and 3, don't move them if you can help it. For nasty pin turns, pre-position at 12 and 6.

9 and 3 opens up a lot of brain space that would be sucked up by compensating for the extraneous inputs on the wheel caused by G-forces on the body.

When I went from the Europa to the Elise, I bemoaned the slow steering in the Elise. I still think now and then about getting a faster rack.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
post #70 of 70 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codingparadox View Post

The one thing I would change is that I would want to have my hands at 12 and 6 on the launch to handle that crazy first left turn.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in