Brake Pads-Changing Front AND Rear?? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Go Kartt

Garage
Brake Pads-Changing Front AND Rear??

I know this may sound like a dumb question but when you guys change pads to more agressive ones are you changing front and rear or just the fronts? I have the stock pads on the car now and just bought some Hawk HP+ pads for the front. Should I order the rears or keep the stock ones back there? Mainly street use and 6-8 autocrosses a year.. Thanks Rich

2011 Lotus Elise-BOE REV300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:09 AM

Garage
Sometimes one might use different pads front/rear to fine tune for a specific goal. I usually change all 4 corners together on my cars.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 05:31 AM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfun View Post
I know this may sound like a dumb question but when you guys change pads to more agressive ones are you changing front and rear or just the fronts? I have the stock pads on the car now and just bought some Hawk HP+ pads for the front. Should I order the rears or keep the stock ones back there? Mainly street use and 6-8 autocrosses a year.. Thanks Rich
Since the OEM pads are the same friction materials, and since therefor the OEM front/real balance is built in by the sizes of the master piston and the front/real caliper pistons, I would swap both ends together and keep matching friction materials on both ends, unless you want to mess with the front/rear balance.

xtn

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 02:40 PM

I'm using AX6 carbotech in the rear calipers and the crappiest, cheapest pads (seriously, like $14 for both sides) up front.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
I'm using AX6 carbotech in the rear calipers and the crappiest, cheapest pads (seriously, like $14 for both sides) up front.
Why would you put a pad noted for its initial cold bite on the end of the car that has the least stopping Power? It seems to me that the rear would slow more quickly that it should compared to the front. I would think that might make the car turn easier, maybe to the point of spinning easily.

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 04:13 PM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroundy View Post
Why would you put a pad noted for its initial cold bite on the end of the car that has the least stopping Power? It seems to me that the rear would slow more quickly that it should compared to the front. I would think that might make the car turn easier, maybe to the point of spinning easily.
More rear bias in a car that from the factory has (according to some, myself included) too much front bias

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hroundy View Post
More rear bias in a car that from the factory has (according to some, myself included) too much front bias
Bingo. I'm trying to manage the ridiculous amount of ice mode involved with this chassis. I'm even tempted to step up to an XP10 or XP12 in the rear and drag the crap out of the brakes to generate some heat before first runs.

Last edited by jdawson; 04-08-2016 at 02:34 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 03:13 PM

I'm intrigued with going with the AX6's on the rears. The bias makes sense. I'm running in SS class and have been pondering what enhancements might make sense with the brakes. My rotors are stock and in decent condition. Question: can I just change to the AX6's without having to have the rotors turned?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj-nwi View Post
I'm intrigued with going with the AX6's on the rears. The bias makes sense. I'm running in SS class and have been pondering what enhancements might make sense with the brakes. My rotors are stock and in decent condition. Question: can I just change to the AX6's without having to have the rotors turned?
I've never had issues with installing new or different pads without turning the rotors. I tried 4 different pad combos last season and have never turned my rotors. So... that's one data point. For auto-x, I don't think pad bedding is nearly as important as it is for track setups.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 11:38 AM
Supporting Vendors

Auto-X is a bit outside of our wheel house but I will share my opinions on the subject of pads anyway.

With respect to running different pad compounds front and rear, we do find that to be an effective way to tune the balance. We find a lot of Auto-x guys running more aggressive pads in the rear to help with balance and get the car rotated around tight corners. In our experience, we usually do not recommend using different pads from different manufactures, instead choosing to use different compounds from the same manufacture. An example would be running Carbotech XP8 up front and XP10s in the rear.

As far as bedding the pads and scrubbing rotors goes, it really depends on the pads you are talking about and how they operate. Some pads put down a layer of pad material on the disk and thus generate friction between the pad and this layer of material that is transferred. These are the pads that have to be correctly bedded or risk developing high spots and giving you that warped rotor feeling. The Carbotechs we sell have this property. These pads should ideally be put on freshly cleaned rotors. Stoptech wrote some good words on the subject ofUneven Pad Deposit Removal. The CL pads we sell, do not work this way and require minimal bedding to operate properly.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Jake, you might try running CL RC8 pads in the rear. They don't need any heat to work compared to every other pad I've tried. They just have a ton of bite.

IMO, Lotus screwed up the brake bias pretty royally. For auto-x which requires constant threshold braking, we find the limit of the brakes and thus the bias a lot more often then track guys.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Jake, you might try running CL RC8 pads in the rear. They don't need any heat to work compared to every other pad I've tried. They just have a ton of bite.

IMO, Lotus screwed up the brake bias pretty royally. For auto-x which requires constant threshold braking, we find the limit of the brakes and thus the bias a lot more often then track guys.
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried any of the Carbone Lorraine pads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in