Change in suspension settings from track to AX - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Change in suspension settings from track to AX

I am doing my first autocross tomorrow after putting on the DA Penske shocks.

I have the car setup for a relatively slow and very bumpy track right now, tomorrow's autocross is on a pretty flat lot, but it is typically very slippery, especially if you have to go in the morning.

I am starting with +2 compression all around and -2 rebound on the front as a change, is that enough extra compression? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 06:43 PM

Not being an ass but its the day before AX. At this point you are in experimentation mode. Try what you have. Take notes. Make corrections. Take notes. Find what works for you.

Also you may want to email Fred Zust. He may be able to fill in some more blanks.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-05-2015, 06:44 PM

In general, you'll want less rebound damping for a bumpy surface. Too much rebound damping will not allow the tires to follow the surface of the road, and will cause the tires to skip over the bumps.

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-06-2015, 04:34 AM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
Not being an ass but its the day before AX. At this point you are in experimentation mode. Try what you have. Take notes. Make corrections. Take notes. Find what works for you.

Also you may want to email Fred Zust. He may be able to fill in some more blanks.
This
really changes aren't going to do you any good until you've drove it and know how it feels

I would mess with the sway bar first (Assuming you have one) until that is on the under steer side of neutral or neutral

Then
I would only mess with rebound until you get things feeling very neutral.

Think of compression as a fine adjustment after that

Assumes you like a neutral car. Bit on the side of under steer may be easier / and thus faster for you

Ymmv
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-19-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
This
really changes aren't going to do you any good until you've drove it and know how it feels

I would mess with the sway bar first (Assuming you have one) until that is on the under steer side of neutral or neutral

Then
I would only mess with rebound until you get things feeling very neutral.

Think of compression as a fine adjustment after that

Assumes you like a neutral car. Bit on the side of under steer may be easier / and thus faster for you

Ymmv
Agreed about starting where you are now, taking notes and making changes. Also agree about making bar changes early on.

However, I have found both rebound and compression to be very effective at inducing significant handling changes. With my S2000, rebound was my main adjustment knob. With my Elise, I have used both rebound and compression. Lately (after a BWR revalve) I have found compression to be more effective when making changes that don't cause cross talk.

So, my advice is to try out the full adjustment range of both compression and rebound.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in