choosing class for Series 1 Elise - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
PMD

choosing class for Series 1 Elise

OK, I am going through a theoretical exercise right now, but I have all winter to sort this out and do whatever makes best sense.

I live in Canada, so as of January, I can import up to 1999 model year car from anywhere without making it "comply" with anything. Been looking at Series 1 Elise, but need to choose a class by SCCA rules - as we use them to classify our soloII cars.

Can't run stock and super street prep because the car was not sold here (nothing before 2005 listed). the first class that stops being specific is SSM, but the idea of having to ballast the car by 200+ pounds just doesn't make sense to me.

That moves us along to F Prep, the first time the years 1996-2010 are specifically listed, but holly porky pig Batman, I'd have to ballast to 1900 pounds to be in that class! Might as well just buy an Eldorado and stick some Hoosiers on it.

Only two things left: XPrep and Mod. XP is probably where it belongs, since class minimum is 1600 lbs. normally aspirated, which the car make with 1800cc and tiny ballast (maybe bar or cage will bring it to weight).

Looking for some thoughts and suggestions.

Also: since the car came with ceramic composite brakes, do any of the SCCA types know if the manufacturer's supplied exemption for non-ferrous rotors in the stock classes carries forward to Prepared?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Don't take this as bible, but don't non-SS classed cars go straight to ASP?
My other idea would be get an allowance for SS. The version you're talking about is basically the same as ours except way down on power, right? If both of those ideas are shot because "not sold here", I got nothing.
The ballast up in SSM isn't the worst thing ever, but you're going to need far more power to deal with it. (trust me though, when you do, the driving experience is tits. )
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
PMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
Don't take this as bible, but don't non-SS classed cars go straight to ASP?
My other idea would be get an allowance for SS. The version you're talking about is basically the same as ours except way down on power, right? If both of those ideas are shot because "not sold here", I got nothing.
The ballast up in SSM isn't the worst thing ever, but you're going to need far more power to deal with it. (trust me though, when you do, the driving experience is tits. )
Last thing first: the Series 1 car is quite different from the Series 2 sold in North America. Standard form was under 1600 lbs. (true to ACBC philosophy) with Rover K series engine (from MGF) at 118 HP, BUT: sport versions were 145, 160 and 190 HP. Still a bit heavy for my tastes (remember, I am coming out of karts but using this as an intermediate set of training wheels before I let my kids drive BMod at 1,020 lb.s WITH driver) but as close as I can come in a production car with the engine in the right place. Also, the early series 2 cars used that same Rover K engine (not smoggable here, thus why no Elise here then) - which is a bit fragile when revved or built to much over low 200HP range.

The way I read the rule book, if the car is not actually shown in a class, it moves to some catch-all or up one full range where it IS shown. BUT: since the first specific mention of the 1996-2010 range is in FP, I am not sure it can be moved into XP - catch all that allows ANY drivetrain, pretty much. I can not actually FIND AP any more, but with 280 pages of frigging rules, well, that's why I really need to hear from someone who has been around them through their development or can comprehend their bizarre intent.

Ballasting to me really IS a big deal. As I said, if I wanted to drive something that heavy, I would just buy a truck (or, sorry to say, a series 2 car - which is heavier than my steel VW sedans!!!).

Your power comments are well taken. While a 190HP Rover K is genuinely stock, and 230HP built engines are fairly common, it is not exactly a reliable or durable or even pleasant engine to live with. Nor is it eligible for stock classes as "not sold here". Honda K20 engines are very common swaps (and allowable in XP and DM) at 220HP stock and near bulletproof. (300++ swaps to Audi, Ford and Honda are also common in UK, but of course for SCCA rules result in HUGE weight penalties).

What I don't know is if I can actually GO to XP with a car listed in FP. That would stick me into DM. Not really that bad a place to be, but for crying out loud, we're talking about a street car. It seems as if nobody in the SCCA committees has ever heard of cars instead of SUVs when it comes to weight.

Last edited by PMD; 11-16-2013 at 07:00 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 10:20 PM

If of interest, I'll be selling a 1998 Elise soon.
Early 1998 build, so as light as they come : boot bag, alloy access panel to engine bay, alloy extuded hub carriers, no radio etc...
It's a factory built LHD, originally supplied by a German Lotus dealer (Islinger & Umhey Gmbh in Mannhiem)
Done about 20k KMs from new, silver with blue leather / hood. No mods.
PM if you want more details.

Arabian Elises R US
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 06:19 AM

Garage
My guess is that your car will end up in XP. I agree that putting ballast in to get to SSM is silly and frankly very difficult once you do the math............it's very hard to find a way to tie down that much weight in the car.

I think the best thing to do it to email the rules guy (Brian Harmer <[email protected]>) and tell him what you have, what tires you will be running and ask for his advice. He has helped me more than once in the past and has always been responsive. This is part of his job and he knows the book inside and out of course.

Your car is going to be really fun out there - have a great time.

dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
PMD

thanks for the reference to scca Dave.

"It" isn't my car yet. Want to sort out class first, then decide (probably between XP and DM) then go find a car. It is -20 here now, so not exactly pressure to do many Elise-like things. Even bigger decision is to do the Rover K or Honda K (both allowed in both classes).
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2013, 08:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD View Post
thanks for the reference to scca Dave.

"It" isn't my car yet. Want to sort out class first, then decide (probably between XP and DM) then go find a car. It is -20 here now, so not exactly pressure to do many Elise-like things. Even bigger decision is to do the Rover K or Honda K (both allowed in both classes).
Cool.

I'd be thinking XP over DM any day. XP has a friendlier PAX and you will be a good 300 pounds over weight in DM. Mods are weighed with the driver so you'd be in the 1750 - 1800 lbs range with the driver and min weights for DM are less than 1400 so you'd be WAY over.

But I'd email Brian and tell him what you have and see what he says.

dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in