Definitive best size wheel and tire thread for Exige/Elise - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Autoxer

Can't be sure. Guessing no more than 5mm up front and 10mm in the back. Which I already have.

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:39 AM
user /tron

I'm also assuming these wont be hub-centric from the factory for the lotus, so centering rings may be nice too. Last time I needed spacers, I had custom ones machined that were hubcentric and wheelcentric which were [email protected]$$; would probably do that again. anyone know the hub size for our cars?

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #43 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 AM
Autoxer

It's well documented, 56.6.

SCCA/PCA autoxer

post #44 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
I'm running NT01s, 225/45/15 front, 255/40/17 rear. 15x8 ET15 front wheels, 17x8 ET30 rear wheels. No rubbing at all on my 07 Exige S.

The 949s are one option but another great option are the Avanti Storm in 15x8 or 9 and 17x8 or 9.

Fronts:
Advanti Racing Storm S1 15x8 Grey for Miata, 15x8

Rears:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/mazda/miata/process.html

I like the look of those much better. Thanks!
post #45 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
It's well documented, 56.6.
So I went ahead and ordered those wheels since they are on sale with free shipping. I have H&R spacers, how would I find the proper hub centric rings?
post #46 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 PM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeKilla View Post
So I went ahead and ordered those wheels since they are on sale with free shipping. I have H&R spacers, how would I find the proper hub centric rings?
google. Hub centric ring sizes - HubCentric-Rings.com

I had custom spacers made that were hubcentric/wheelcentric and the thickness i needed back when I was racing my STI that were works of art. From this guy:
WheelAdapter.com > Wheel Adapters
post #47 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-22-2015, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
google. Hub centric ring sizes - HubCentric-Rings.com

I had custom spacers made that were hubcentric/wheelcentric and the thickness i needed back when I was racing my STI that were works of art. From this guy:
WheelAdapter.com > Wheel Adapters
Ill have to find out if the spacers ad to the bore cause then ill have to order a diff size.
post #48 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 06:51 PM

http://www.motorsport-tech.com/wheel_spacers.html

About 1/2 the cost of the custom spacers linked above. You'll need to email them about the correct Lotus hub diameter. Their website tool lists 56.1mm. As Tom mentioned, the correct dimension is 56.6mm, +/- .1mm depending on who you ask.
post #49 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:20 PM
because racecar

I've went so far as using washers for spacers. I at least measured them to make sure each lug was spaced the same and ran like that for a few events as a temporary solution. I now have enough spacer on my rears where even hubcentric wheels such as ethos don't touch the hub to center and have did a good bit of Autox laps and street driving as such without any drama. The bogarts I use are lugcentric anyway. I think the hubcentric stuff is an unnecessary concern. As far as I can tell the hub ultimately serves no purpose as far as weight support, that is done by friction from the wheel to the spacers to the hub bearing and requires proper lug torque, and is not necessary for centering the wheel either. If you dont have studs it makes mounting the wheel easier, thats about it. Ymmv
post #50 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-23-2015, 08:35 PM

I've used washers too! Not an approach I would recommend due to common thickness variability... but if you measure everything, it can work in a pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
I think the hubcentric stuff is an unnecessary concern. As far as I can tell the hub ultimately serves no purpose as far as weight support, that is done by friction from the wheel to the spacers to the hub bearing and requires proper lug torque, and is not necessary for centering the wheel either. If you dont have studs it makes mounting the wheel easier, thats about it. Ymmv
Agreed.
post #51 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 04:19 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
We manufacture the best Wheel Spacers money can buy | Motorsport Tech

About 1/2 the cost of the custom spacers linked above. You'll need to email them about the correct Lotus hub diameter. Their website tool lists 56.1mm. As Tom mentioned, the correct dimension is 56.6mm, +/- .1mm depending on who you ask.
Nice; thanks for the link!
post #52 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 05:22 AM
Autoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
I've went so far as using washers for spacers. I at least measured them to make sure each lug was spaced the same and ran like that for a few events as a temporary solution. I now have enough spacer on my rears where even hubcentric wheels such as ethos don't touch the hub to center and have did a good bit of Autox laps and street driving as such without any drama. The bogarts I use are lugcentric anyway. I think the hubcentric stuff is an unnecessary concern. As far as I can tell the hub ultimately serves no purpose as far as weight support, that is done by friction from the wheel to the spacers to the hub bearing and requires proper lug torque, and is not necessary for centering the wheel either. If you dont have studs it makes mounting the wheel easier, thats about it. Ymmv
If the spacer is about 14mm deep, you can have a 56.6mm hub machined into it. The stock lip is around ~12mm deep. Running 10mm spacers up front my wheels don't touch the hub since it tapers those last 2mm, probably could use something like a 55mm hubcentric ring to work but I've been lucky getting them mounted correctly so I don't have highway vibrations.

SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #53 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:41 AM

After seeing a BMW loose it's wheels at an auto-x, I highly recommend against using washers as wheels spacers. If you think about it, it's probably the worst idea you could have.
post #54 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:21 AM

Garage
So I will toss this in there...where my experience is less than other in AutoX, we had some really good success with this setup?

Team Dynamic 1.2s
15x8 +30 offset - 245/45/15 Fronts - Hankook RS-3 V2
17x9 +38 offset - 255/40/17 Rears - Hankook RS-3 V2

Largest wheel I have stuffed under factory body work:
Front 17x9 +38 offset - Tire size option: 225/35/17 (there are more options in a different size, but I had that all calculated out last year when I was looking at wheel/tire options). Yes I did test fit this wheel on the front of the lotus, and YES it does fit...very nicely. Tire options are limited...and that is the only issue with it.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #55 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Autoxer

Those wheels are great. The issue is the tires for me, the RS3v2 is so much slower than the RE71R in my experience and judging from National's results, others agree. But you could easily use those with the 205/245 RE71R combo which is exactly what I would do if running street tires.

SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #56 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
So I will toss this in there...where my experience is less than other in AutoX, we had some really good success with this setup?

Team Dynamic 1.2s
15x8 +30 offset - 245/45/15 Fronts - Hankook RS-3 V2
17x9 +38 offset - 255/40/17 Rears - Hankook RS-3 V2

Largest wheel I have stuffed under factory body work:
Front 17x9 +38 offset - Tire size option: 225/35/17 (there are more options in a different size, but I had that all calculated out last year when I was looking at wheel/tire options). Yes I did test fit this wheel on the front of the lotus, and YES it does fit...very nicely. Tire options are limited...and that is the only issue with it.

Good info, thanks for posting offsets. Very helpful. I am with ABQ, im not a fan of rs3's. Im trying to find the tire size I want in the brand and type I want, its a headache lol.
post #57 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 12:36 PM

Garage
Agreed, the RS-3s are not the best tires out there...but for the budget i had at the time, they fit the bill very well. I bought them used from a friend, and I have absolutely ZERO complaints as they destroyed the handling of my Z2s and they could withstand dual drivers.

However I would make the switch as well to the RE71R as well since they are "the tire to have." Budget...it won't matter for me this next year...probably won't be racing the car next year as I am about to tear it apart and actually do my SSM build. That thread to come.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #58 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Looks like it will fit just fine with my H&R spacer. (10mm I think) Also I agree with some of the above. Im not completely convinced that you NEED to have a hub ring to fill the void between the hub and wheel when you have 4 lug nuts centering the wheel.

EDIT: This is 15x8 on exige.
Attached Images

Last edited by ConeKilla; 10-01-2015 at 06:50 PM.
post #59 of 283 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
Anyway, I suspect you'll never get a 9" On the front of our cars anyway as it takes careful fitment for a 225 on 8" wheels.
What is the limiting factor for the front fitment? Why is it not possible to fit a 245 or even 255 on stock suspension and body work? Here's a thread showing 245 fronts with stock body work:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f163...uuunnn-248753/

Also it is said on page 1 of this thread:

Quote:
So effectively a 15x8 +5 front wheel with 225/45/r15 tire?
With that low of an offset, we're giving up inside tire clearance, no? If the above fits, why not the 245/40R15 Hoosier A7 with around a +15 offset?

Here are a couple of size/combos I am curious about--I am in no way endorsing these, more like requesting feedback. The first is probably too aggressive for stock bodywork, but I was inspired by ///MD's thread that I linked to above. I wonder if I could fit this with a stock LSS?
Front: Hoosier A7 245/40R15, possibly on 949racing.com 15x9et36 6UL wheels (probably with spacers)
Rear: Hoosier A7 275/35R17, possibly on 949racing.com 17x9et? 6UL wheels (spacers needed?)

Perhaps a more tame option, again curious about using this with stock LSS and bodywork:
Front: Hoosier A7 (plus lots of other tire options at this size) 225/45R15, possibly on TRMOTORSPORT FF10 15x7et30 (tirerack.com 92 Miata fitment) (probably with spacers)
Rear: Hoosier A7 (plus lots of other tire options at this size) 245/40R17, possibly on TRMOTORSPORT FF10 17x8et40 (tirerack.com 05 Mazdaspeed Miata fitment) (spacers needed?)

Last edited by Parko; 09-30-2015 at 09:23 PM.
post #60 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:11 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parko View Post
What is the limiting factor for the front fitment? Why is it not possible to fit a 245 or even 255 on stock suspension and body work? Here's a thread showing 245 fronts with stock body work:

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f163...uuunnn-248753/

Also it is said on page 1 of this thread:

With that low of an offset, we're giving up inside tire clearance, no? If the above fits, why not the 245/40R15 Hoosier A7 with around a +15 offset?

Here are a couple of size/combos I am curious about--I am in no way endorsing these, more like requesting feedback. The first is probably too aggressive for stock bodywork, but I was inspired by ///MD's thread that I linked to above. I wonder if I could fit this with a stock LSS?
Front: Hoosier A7 245/40R15, possibly on 949racing.com 15x9et36 6UL wheels (probably with spacers)
Rear: Hoosier A7 275/35R17, possibly on 949racing.com 17x9et? 6UL wheels (spacers needed?)

Perhaps a more tame option, again curious about using this with stock LSS and bodywork:
Front: Hoosier A7 (plus lots of other tire options at this size) 225/45R15, possibly on TRMOTORSPORT FF10 15x7et30 (tirerack.com 92 Miata fitment) (probably with spacers)
Rear: Hoosier A7 (plus lots of other tire options at this size) 245/40R17, possibly on TRMOTORSPORT FF10 17x8et40 (tirerack.com 05 Mazdaspeed Miata fitment) (spacers needed?)

My guess is he's sitting pretty tall, has CRAZY high spring rates and still may be rubbing the fender up front but just doesnt care.

You're just not going to fit those size tires with 'stock LSS' - you'll need camber up front to tuck them under compression, and even then I still do not think you'll ever get a 245/275 to fit under stock body work.
Also the 245 Hoosier A7 is Massive. Much bigger than the 245 A6 by a good margin (theres a thread around here with a comparison) and people are having a hard time making them fit in stock bodywork in the rear even. Lastly, a 245 hoosier on a 17x8 will be a bit pinched, you'd probably be better with a 9" in the rear from what I've read, again if it will fit.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in