Definitive best size wheel and tire thread for Exige/Elise - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 04:24 AM
because racecar

///MDs setup will not fit stock bodywork with a low ride height. I have 17x9 with 275s know for a fact they poke.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
///MDs setup will not fit stock bodywork with a low ride height. I have 17x9 with 275s know for a fact they poke.
@dallasreed , what are the offsets of your 17X9? Is that the same wheel that is in your avatar?
post #63 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:31 AM
because racecar

The avatar is 15x11 17x11 with 275 Hoosiers. Those poke enough you can sit a beer can on the amount of tire sticking out on the fronts and rears.

I have another set that is 245/275 R888 on ethos 16x8 et30 and 17x9 et20. Actually occurred to me I have a half inch of spacer on the rears which isn't really needed for these offsets but are for the bogarts. I think it would still poke in the rear even without the spacers. With 255 I think they would be on the OK side of close. Hella flush. The fronts don't poke but they rub in multiple spots. I can change my low beams without removing anything...
I'm running 95mm ride height or thereabouts though

post #64 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
The avatar is 15x11 17x11 with 275 Hoosiers. Those poke enough you can sit a beer can on the amount of tire sticking out on the fronts and rears.

I have another set that is 245/275 R888 on ethos 16x8 et30 and 17x9 et20. Actually occurred to me I have a half inch of spacer on the rears which isn't really needed for these offsets but are for the bogarts. I think it would still poke in the rear even without the spacers. With 255 I think they would be on the OK side of close. Hella flush. The fronts don't poke but they rub in multiple spots. I can change my low beams without removing anything...
I'm running 95mm ride height or thereabouts though
At the moment I am planning on install overfenders this winter, so I am just trying to see what my options are, not many really without going custom.

17X10s or 11s is tough to find at 4x100

If I dont go widebody than it will be 15x8 front and 17x9 rear. I want to go 15x10 rear, but the size tire I want only comes in Hoosier.
post #65 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:43 AM
because racecar

I'm going to try 335/35 18x12.5 on the turbo car.

I have no regrets about cutting fenders. Im not entirely sure flares are worth the trouble.
post #66 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:45 AM

Am I the only one on here who wants clarification to this question?

The answer really depends on which class you're running.

The only thing you're going to do with more horsepower is go faster.
My Cars
post #67 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cretinx View Post
Am I the only one on here who wants clarification to this question?

The answer really depends on which class you're running.
Absolutely, what class is very important! Here's what my research has lead to, not claiming to be definitive but just summarizing what I think I have learned so far regarding SCCA classes:

SS - Wheel sizes limited, I think mostly people here are trying to get the biggest tire they can fit on stock wheel widths. For the LSS wheel option, that is a 16x6.5et31 front for which I currently have a 205/45 up there, and for the rear a 17x7.5et38 for which I currently have a 245/40 mounted. There was some talk on page 1 of this thread about +24 offset in SS class--that is the limit of the 7mm offset change allowed for Street class in the 2015 rulebook.

SSP and SSM - Wheels unlimited, and flares allowed.

If you are not going to do bodywork it seems the popular thing here is 15x8 fronts, and I think here that +25 offset is probably a good fit along with a 225/45 tire. In the rear, 17x9 with around a +35 offset should fit a 245/40 tire.

With flares we can get more aggressive fitments. In SSM, most go for the 275mm wide or less tire bonus, wherein the SCCA permits a drop of 200 pounds from the minimum weight. With flares it seems possible to get 275 all around, I think the rears are still usually being kept at 17" wheels to keep the gearing from getting too short. Dunno what's going on with offsets here.

XP - It's getting crazy over here, Dallas is talking about 335s! I am guessing that is for his K20 swapped car that would run in XP, and not his SSM car, as I suspect running 335s in SSM would mean adding a lot of ballast to meet minimum weights! I wonder if SSP guys can go that far? It would seem like SSM with the 200# weight bonus would end up with cars that have smaller wheel/tire packages than SSP cars.

Last edited by Parko; 10-01-2015 at 09:46 AM.
post #68 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parko View Post
Absolutely, what class is very important! Here's what my research has lead to, not claiming to be definitive but just summarizing what I think I have learned so far regarding SCCA classes:

SS - Wheel sizes limited, I think mostly people here are trying to get the biggest tire they can fit on 6.5" wide front and 7.5" wide rear wheels.

SSP - Are flares allowed, it seems the popular thing here is 15x8 fronts with a 225 wide tire, and 17x9 and a 245 wide tire.

SSM - Flares allowed, so we can get more aggressive fitments. Most go for the 275mm wide or less tire bonus that the SCCA permits to drop 200 pounds from the minimum weight. With flares it seems possible to get 275 all around, I think the rears are still being brought up to 17" wheels to keep the gearing from getting too short.
Corrected. Cutting and flares are allowed in SSP. I imagine they're running 275s like the SSM crowd.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #69 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parko View Post

SS - Wheel sizes limited, I think mostly people here are trying to get the biggest tire they can fit on 6.5" wide front and 7.5" wide rear wheels.

SSP - No flares allowed, it seems the popular thing here is 15x8 fronts with a 225 wide tire, and 17x9 and a 245 wide tire.

SSM - Flares allowed, so we can get more aggressive fitments. Most go for the 275mm wide or less tire bonus that the SCCA permits to drop 200 pounds from the minimum weight. With flares it seems possible to get 275 all around, I think the rears are still being brought up to 17" wheels to keep the gearing from getting too short.
That's pretty much it.
post #70 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:41 AM

SS you can adjust the offset from stock by 6mm.

Anybody running SSR anymore or are the Elises just getting butchered by the Corvettes?

My Cars
post #71 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM

Garage
You guys are quick in this thread! I was being quoted while still editing some parts, I tried to add some offset info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Corrected. Cutting and flares are allowed in SSP. I imagine they're running 275s like the SSM crowd.
Aw, good catch, duh, I have seen plenty of flares on *SP cars! Are there any allowances that the SSM cars get for body work that the SSP cars do not? I am guessing no. I will edit my summary above.
post #72 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 07:55 AM
Plug Whisperer

Might check out our wheel spacer/adapters here: BOE Wheel Spacers

They open up the possibilities for off the shelf wheels for our cars. We've used them on +36 9" wheels and +25 10" wheels regularly. In both cases, the tires will be proud from the body.

They're a really nice bit of kit...

A good rule of thumb is for the wheel to be +/- 1" from the actual tread width of the tire for best performance. Typically, the "recommended rim width" you'll find on tire rack, hoosier's website, etc is simply a DOT recommendation, not necessarily what can or will work in a performance application.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #73 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Might check out our wheel spacer/adapters here: BOE Wheel Spacers

They open up the possibilities for off the shelf wheels for our cars. We've used them on +36 9" wheels and +25 10" wheels regularly. In both cases, the tires will be proud from the body.

They're a really nice bit of kit...

A good rule of thumb is for the wheel to be +/- 1" from the actual tread width of the tire for best performance. Typically, the "recommended rim width" you'll find on tire rack, hoosier's website, etc is simply a DOT recommendation, not necessarily what can or will work in a performance application.

-Phil
@turbophil , when are you going to release pictures of your fender kit?
post #74 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post

-Phil
The experimentation with this year's crop of street tires has shown no benefit (and in some cases, a significant detriment) to going with a tread width that is larger in mm than the wheel width.

My Cars
post #75 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

I like where this thread is going but I think we are getting a bit off topic, I can make some wide ass wheels fit with fender flares and high spring rates. The biggest problem is all the secrecy seen across the forum on offsets.. Ive never seen this with other forums and other vehicles however there wasnt as many people competing against each other. From what I can see so far is on my exige the 15x8 ET25 with a 10mm spacer (I think) will fit fine on the front with 215 and maybe 225. More to come on the rear when Advanti comes out with their 17x9 next month.
post #76 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Autoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeKilla View Post
I like where this thread is going but I think we are getting a bit off topic, I can make some wide ass wheels fit with fender flares and high spring rates. The biggest problem is all the secrecy seen across the forum on offsets.. Ive never seen this with other forums and other vehicles however there wasnt as many people competing against each other. From what I can see so far is on my exige the 15x8 ET25 with a 10mm spacer (I think) will fit fine on the front with 215 and maybe 225. More to come on the rear when Advanti comes out with their 17x9 next month.
Yeah thats me running 225/45/15 NT01s on 15x8 with exactly that setup. I'm running 17x8 with 255/40/17 NT01s in the back with ET30 with -2.9 camber. I could make 17x9s fit I just have to flip my shocks over and grind an allowance for the way the external reservoir hose banjo bolt fit.. There isn't anymore room in the back, thats the max before you cut IMO. Front I could run a 15x9 if the wheels clear the brakes in a way I could run ET 20-25 and have at least -2.5 camber.

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #77 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-02-2015, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
Yeah thats me running 225/45/15 NT01s on 15x8 with exactly that setup. I'm running 17x8 with 255/40/17 NT01s in the back with ET30 with -2.9 camber. I could make 17x9s fit I just have to flip my shocks over and grind an allowance for the way the external reservoir hose banjo bolt fit.. There isn't anymore room in the back, thats the max before you cut IMO. Front I could run a 15x9 if the wheels clear the brakes in a way I could run ET 20-25 and have at least -2.5 camber.
hmm cool. Got any good pics of the front? What camber are you running? You dont think 17x9 will fit in the rear? How close is it?
post #78 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:24 AM

Garage
Hey conekilla, I can confirm 17x9 fits as that is what is on the back of mine. However, I am running penkse d/as and have no rub issues. Offset is the same option as BWR offers.
post #79 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 07:25 AM

Garage
I should point out..thee is zero room for spacers and I am going running -2.2 camber.
post #80 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-03-2015, 09:58 AM
Autoxer

17x9 will fit on most shocks, just not my JRZ without a minor mod. It's the 255 I'm saying there isn't more room unless you are completely willing to compromise camber just for fitment/ride height which isn't a great idea IMO, these are handling cars not stance cars.

I'll take pics in a bit, taking that car for a drive later anyway.

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in