Definitive best size wheel and tire thread for Exige/Elise - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-06-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post
I have 17x9's with 38mm offset on the rear of my Elise with no issues.
I have run both 245 (street) and 255 (AutoX) tires with only minimal rubbing on the inside.
I use the same size wheel in the back for both, but drop from a 16x7 street setup with 205's, to a 15x8 with 225's for AutoX. (Both 30mm offset)

I had no rubbing in the front at all, even before the Penskes.
But now that I have installed the BWR D/A shocks with springs that are much stiffer that the originals, I am considering letting them "hang out"
I fear for the life of my clams, but noticed several vettes running setups with tires sticking outside the fenders and not really any more clearance than I have......

hmm thanks for the info!
ConeKilla is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #102 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Frustrating weekend at Auto-x. My laps feel so much faster than they are, I get the time slip and im so disappointed. To the topic though, I am running LSS wheels, Rs3 tires on the front and AD08's in the rear. Brakes have seen better days, but those could just be excuses.

Results, http://www.renoscca.org/results/solo...nd14Class.html

(car 23, Zach, Exige) I just couldent catch those guys. Round 15 wasnt much better.

Last edited by ConeKilla; 10-12-2015 at 08:26 AM.
ConeKilla is offline  
post #103 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 08:26 AM
because racecar
 
dallasreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougrobling View Post
I am considering letting them "hang out"
I fear for the life of my clams, but noticed several vettes running setups with tires sticking outside the fenders and not really any more clearance than I have......
Mine hang out and I've had the clam rubbing the tires and had to cut more. And again after some more lowering. No damage there.

What did do some damage was removing the wheel arch liners and rocks getting tossed up at the clam from the inside. Caused some spots of spider webbing in the paint. I bought some craft foam and glued it to the inside on the clam as makeshift liners to prevent any further.
dallasreed is offline  
 
post #104 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 11:10 AM
Registered User
 
Giantmcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ellensburg, WA
Posts: 2,612
Garage
Hey Conekilla,

How old are the tires? How well are they holding grip? Does the front push, the rear swing/break loose easy...a little more input. I know lots of people here will say that having matching tires is important...and where I agree to this in general, I also believe that with the right tire combo (regardless of matching all four), as long as pairs match it should be Ok...especially if it helps out with the way the car actually handles.

Also, keep in mind, where you may feel it is faster...slower times generally means you are over driving the course. I did my last event...annoying. First run was the fastest run HANDS down...and everything else after that, I was just pushing it way to hard and not being able to stay up with the car.
Moop likes this.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
Giantmcm is offline  
post #105 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 02:43 PM
because racecar
 
dallasreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 540
No idea your skill level but get someone who is a much better driver than you to drive your car and ride passenger. That will help a lot on figuring out where things are going wrong.
Moop likes this.
dallasreed is offline  
post #106 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Hey Conekilla,

How old are the tires? How well are they holding grip? Does the front push, the rear swing/break loose easy...a little more input. I know lots of people here will say that having matching tires is important...and where I agree to this in general, I also believe that with the right tire combo (regardless of matching all four), as long as pairs match it should be Ok...especially if it helps out with the way the car actually handles.

Also, keep in mind, where you may feel it is faster...slower times generally means you are over driving the course. I did my last event...annoying. First run was the fastest run HANDS down...and everything else after that, I was just pushing it way to hard and not being able to stay up with the car.
The tires are new for this season. I understeer and oversteer. I used to Drift 240sx's regularly, so I have good car control when the back steps out, I drift my Exige at least once at the event (usually unintentionally). I have had formal driving lessons for work, I am not new to driving fast around cones so thats whats so frustrating, however this is my first mid engine car.

I had one of the other much faster Lotus guys (greg from GRP) ride with me, he's a pretty smart guy and said my run felt pretty solid. Aside from a bit of a step out the only thing he could really critique was trying to take a wider line into some of the corners to brake later and turn after the weight has been transferred and not while im braking.
ConeKilla is offline  
post #107 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeKilla View Post
The tires are new for this season. I understeer and oversteer. I used to Drift 240sx's regularly, so I have good car control when the back steps out, I drift my Exige at least once at the event (usually unintentionally). I have had formal driving lessons for work, I am not new to driving fast around cones so thats whats so frustrating, however this is my first mid engine car.

I had one of the other much faster Lotus guys (greg from GRP) ride with me, he's a pretty smart guy and said my run felt pretty solid. Aside from a bit of a step out the only thing he could really critique was trying to take a wider line into some of the corners to brake later and turn after the weight has been transferred and not while im braking.
Does your car have an LSD? I've been running LSDless for the past 2 + years and find that to be my biggest issue. I have trouble keeping the power down out of corners. I've been able to drive my friend's N/A but LSD cars faster than my S/C non LSD car.
Silver_Surfer is offline  
post #108 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Im not sure, ive been trying to find the markings on my transmission.
ConeKilla is offline  
post #109 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 09:11 AM
user /tron
 
RideMooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
there was an update on @949Racing 's thread about the new wheels; apparently the ND miata fitment wheels wont fit our cars well after all. They are going to work on post-machining to get the right offset for the 17x9 rears, but will have to develop all-new 15s" for the front. They're going to work on this winter, shooting for spring release. Hope they're ready for autocross season.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
RideMooch is offline  
post #110 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
there was an update on @949Racing 's thread about the new wheels; apparently the ND miata fitment wheels wont fit our cars well after all. They are going to work on post-machining to get the right offset for the 17x9 rears, but will have to develop all-new 15s" for the front. They're going to work on this winter, shooting for spring release. Hope they're ready for autocross season.
The current 15s will fit, but I think a spacer is needed, so thats cool. I'm leaning more towards wide body so now I may need 17X10, I wonder if they can make a 1 off set in 4x100 since they already make a 17X10 5lug. Stupid modding addictions.
ERDoc74 likes this.
Silver_Surfer is offline  
post #111 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 01:55 PM
because racecar
 
dallasreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 540
For what its worth the 17x9 ethos wheels do fit without spacer and you can stick 275s on them. Did it with r888s and a7s. Worked fine. This was with cut fenders.
dallasreed is offline  
post #112 of 283 (permalink) Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
For what its worth the 17x9 ethos wheels do fit without spacer and you can stick 275s on them. Did it with r888s and a7s. Worked fine. This was with cut fenders.
We are trying to stick with uncut fenders.. thanks for the info though. I can fit just about anything with cut fenders

I am going to order these!

Advanti Racing Storm S1 4X100, 45mm - Matte Grey for MX5ND, 17x9

They should fit with 10mm spacers or so, maybe 15mm.
275 Turbo likes this.
ConeKilla is offline  
post #113 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Registered User
 
ERDoc74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Overland Park, KS
Posts: 230
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
The current 15s will fit, but I think a spacer is needed, so thats cool. I'm leaning more towards wide body so now I may need 17X10, I wonder if they can make a 1 off set in 4x100 since they already make a 17X10 5lug. Stupid modding addictions.
How about a 3 off? I'll take two sets please!
ERDoc74 is offline  
post #114 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 05:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERDoc74 View Post
How about a 3 off? I'll take two sets please!
I contacted them yesterday... no go
Silver_Surfer is offline  
post #115 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I contacted them yesterday... no go
The offset is most likely +45, with a 10mm spacer they should fit, you may have to get extended lugs but 17x9 with et+35 will fit according to DBG who posted pics of his elise with them.
ConeKilla is offline  
post #116 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeKilla View Post
The offset is most likely +45, with a 10mm spacer they should fit, you may have to get extended lugs but 17x9 with et+35 will fit according to DBG who posted pics of his elise with them.
I bought over fenders for the car, so now I'm looking at 17X10s or in that neighborhood.
Silver_Surfer is offline  
post #117 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
glagola1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I bought over fenders for the car, so now I'm looking at 17X10s or in that neighborhood.
What over fenders did you get? Just curious.
glagola1 is offline  
post #118 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 09:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
What over fenders did you get? Just curious.
The ones CK Lim sells.

The ones pictured were the prototypes, the ones I ordered have been modified into 2 pieces for the rear and the fronts have been made a little wider.

I will be running a 275/40/17rear and a 245/40/15 front.
Attached Images
   
Silver_Surfer is offline  
post #119 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
ConeKilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Nor Nev
Posts: 391
Those are the ones I want. How much did they run you? Did you get the fiberglass ones or the carbon fiber ones?
ConeKilla is offline  
post #120 of 283 (permalink) Old 11-24-2015, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 1,159
$1400 for the fenders and ouch $750 for shipping, but the shipping was cut in half cause my friend bought a set also. I think shipping for 1 set was $500ish.

EDIT: fiberglass version
Silver_Surfer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome