Definitive best size wheel and tire thread for Exige/Elise - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

NICE!

What size tire? I may put a mild stretch on mine with a bit of camber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeKilla View Post
NICE!

What size tire? I may put a mild stretch on mine with a bit of camber.
Thanks, it's a little too much poke for me. After I experiment with the camber I'll decide if I'm going to continue down this route, or switch to another wheel.

The tire is a 225/45/15 r1r
post #143 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:03 PM
He's on fire!

i forget what it is, but there is some rule on how close is too close to the caliper. I think its recommended to have at least 3mm of clearance between it and the wheel?

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

post #144 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreRacecar View Post
Thanks, it's a little too much poke for me. After I experiment with the camber I'll decide if I'm going to continue down this route, or switch to another wheel.

The tire is a 225/45/15 r1r
I too am not a fan of the poke, however it looks close enough to be able to tuck it with some camber. You can probably drop to an 8mm spacer. Ive seen stock vehicles with less than 3mm between the wheel and caliper.
post #145 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

I may switch to a 15x7 if you cant get it to tuck, I may be able to go with a 205 50 r15 and get it under the fender.

15x8 vs 15x9 (with 205 50)

Your fitment is so close, I want it to work with the 225. I was gonna try the RE-71's next season, but they only have them in 205 50 for a 15" wheel. I might just have to go with the Rival S. Although the R1R's have a ton of sizes to choose from!

Last edited by ConeKilla; 12-12-2015 at 03:28 PM.
post #146 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 10:45 AM

Good news everyone. I removed the shims for max neg camber on that side. Still running 9mm spacers, so there is a little more playroom too. It looked close enough for me, so I drove it around a bit. Hard stops and bumpy pavement (downtown San Diego). Absolutely no rubbing. Also in the parking garage I did full lock both ways and 0 rub. I'm going to order cheap eBay 7mm and 8mm spacers to see what the final will be. I also was able to mount it with 6mm, it did contact the caliper, but just scraped it.
Attached Images

post #147 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-13-2015, 12:15 PM

looks good! thanks for doing the leg work on the wheels =) what size wheel/tire did you go with in the rear? im still undecided if i should go with 15x8 +28 rpf1s
post #148 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangan View Post
looks good! thanks for doing the leg work on the wheels =) what size wheel/tire did you go with in the rear? im still undecided if i should go with 15x8 +28 rpf1s
What are you going to put on the rear? I *think the RPF1s only offer a
17x7.5, but there is a 16X8 (in 4x100).
post #149 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
What are you going to put on the rear? I *think the RPF1s only offer a
17x7.5, but there is a 16X8 (in 4x100).
Im planning to go 15x8 front and 16x8 rear. It's unfortunate that there just aren't many options currently
post #150 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Moreracecar, Good man for figuring that out and updating. I am more excited now to get mine mounted. I am glad they worked with that size tires. I guess ill have to go with some Rivals S or R1R's.
post #151 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM

No problem. Ordered custom 8mm spacers today. I probably would have gone with the rival s if tire rack had them in stock. I've heard good things about the r1r too though, especially for autox. We shall see.

For the rear I'm going to be running a 255/40 on a 17x9. They aren't here yet (still on the boat). I'll be out of town for a couple weeks. I'll update more when I get back. Hopefully I'll have the rear fitment done too.

I think I'm probably going to go ahead and pick up a pair of the v2arm from sector111 to get a little more camber. I'd like to get around 2deg anyway.
post #152 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem. Ordered custom 8mm spacers today. I probably would have gone with the rival s if tire rack had them in stock. I've heard good things about the r1r too though, especially for autox. We shall see.

For the rear I'm going to be running a 255/40 on a 17x9. They aren't here yet (still on the boat). I'll be out of town for a couple weeks. I'll update more when I get back. Hopefully I'll have the rear fitment done too.

I think I'm probably going to go ahead and pick up a pair of the v2arm from sector111 to get a little more camber. I'd like to get around 2deg anyway.
What wheels are you gonna be running in the rear? I know Advanti was gonna be coming out with some soon. Whats the offset?
post #153 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
What wheels are you gonna be running in the rear? I know Advanti was gonna be coming out with some soon. Whats the offset?
Yeah, thats why they are "on the boat", I'll be using the Advanti S1 in the rear also. I think the boat was due Dec 10th, so probably in customs now, maybe on the way to the warehouse (need to call them). I ordered the 17x9 +45 and a 15mm spacer to go with it. It should be close, but I'll probably have to mess with it to get the fitment correct also. The only thing I'm not too happy about is that the front wheels are probably going to be much more concave than the rears.
post #154 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah, thats why they are "on the boat", I'll be using the Advanti S1 in the rear also. I think the boat was due Dec 10th, so probably in customs now, maybe on the way to the warehouse (need to call them). I ordered the 17x9 +45 and a 15mm spacer to go with it. It should be close, but I'll probably have to mess with it to get the fitment correct also. The only thing I'm not too happy about is that the front wheels are probably going to be much more concave than the rears.

ill definitely be interested to see the results of your work. i think i might end up a 15x8 and 17x9 (i'll have to use BOE's adapters for the rear).
post #155 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
ill definitely be interested to see the results of your work. i think i might end up a 15x8 and 17x9 (i'll have to use BOE's adapters for the rear).
Aren't those 25mm? I think that'll be too much with a 45mm offset and a 255 tire. Might work with a 245 though.
post #156 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Aren't those 25mm? I think that'll be too much with a 45mm offset and a 255 tire. Might work with a 245 though.
yeah i was thinking the same thing. i have to wait for your results to see what i can and cannot do with rear tire fitment
post #157 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 10:00 AM

Quote:
yeah i was thinking the same thing. i have to wait for your results to see what i can and cannot do with rear tire fitment
Is there a reason you have to use the BOE adapters? Other than they cost a lot and you'd feel bad not using them?
post #158 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Is there a reason you have to use the BOE adapters? Other than they cost a lot and you'd feel bad not using them?
no reason other than i wasnt aware others were using a different option. i found another adapter that is as small as 18mm in thickness, but the fact that BOE is generally well represented on this site, and that they use ARP bolts led me to believe it would be the best product
post #159 of 283 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
no reason other than i wasnt aware others were using a different option. i found another adapter that is as small as 18mm in thickness, but the fact that BOE is generally well represented on this site, and that they use ARP bolts led me to believe it would be the best product
I just did a stud conversion and use normal spacers. 75mm front studs and 90mm rear studs. Haven't done the rears yet, since I'm still waiting for the wheels.
post #160 of 283 (permalink) Old 01-02-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I just did a stud conversion and use normal spacers. 75mm front studs and 90mm rear studs. Haven't done the rears yet, since I'm still waiting for the wheels.
Any updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in