LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Solo timed events (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f99/)
-   -   Evora classing discussion (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f99/evora-classing-discussion-423618/)

jdawson 08-17-2017 01:22 PM

Evora classing discussion

Hi all,

I have a buddy looking to nationally campaign an Evora with the SCCA. He's proposing the Street Action Committee (SAC) reclassify the Evora models per the following letter. I'd like to share it here and get feedback from other Lotus (Evora, primarily) owners. He's open to suggestions. Here's his draft letter:

Thanks for taking the time to address my letter. I would like to make a few requests for reclassing and I am tempted to write multiple letters. However, they are very closely related so I will combine them here. First, let me outline what I would like you to consider.

1) Class the 2017+ Evora 400 in SS
2) Reclass the 2011+ Evora S from SS to AS
3) Reclass the 2010+ Evora (NA) from AS to BS

I'll explain my reasoning for these three changes, which I suspect will becoming increasingly difficult in that order. I think I've spoken to some people on the board about these cars before and I'm in the somewhat rare position to have owned one before and autocrossed it.

1)
The Evora 400 is not currently classed in Street, but has now been available for 6 months at US dealers. There are few to zero used ones, but every dealer has new examples. It's a 400hp, 3000lb, mid-engined car.

2)

To properly consider the the 2011-2014 Evora S, I think one has to look at more complete specifications. I retreived mine from the Lotus shop manual along with notes from owning a 2011.

Weight: ~3150 lbs 39% F, 61%R, 3100 lbs with most Street class allowances
Power: 345 hp
Wheelbase: 101.4"
Width: 69"F 72"R (track width ~= 62" hub-to-hub)
Wheelsize: 19x8 F 20x9.5R
The suspension is double A-arm front and rear.
Open differential

There are two gearsets available, but both do 62-63 mph in 2nd gear on stock tires.

I contend that this vehicle is eclipsed completely by both the C6 and C5 z06 and has very little chance of being an overdog. It is very comparable to the Cayman of the same vintage. It gains better suspension geometry, but gives up the limited slip differential.

3)

The Evora NA specifications are very similiar, but have some important differences.

a) 280hp
b) ~3090lbs 39%F, 61%R
c) Spring rates about 10% softer

Other changes such as the omission of the Evora S air-to-oil cooler have little bearing on Solo.

I've owned one of these and ran it with the CCR region circa 2012. I no longer do. With that generation of tires (RE11, Z1*), it was very close to the pace of an S2000 and other (at the time) AS cars. It certainly wasn't a C5 FRC beater.

The closest match for the vehicle is probably the '07-'08 Cayman S, which is one of the cars to have in BS. Again it's not overdog, but the Evora could be a contender here. Fortunately it's not priced to the moon or hard to find in the after market. There's dozens on ebay and autotrader and the running costs are pretty low. For what it's worth, I would feel outclassed running against one in national events.

TedR 08-18-2017 07:53 AM

I don't have a dog in this fight but from an editing, technical writing perspective here are my thoughts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdawson (Post 5523202)
1) The Evora 400 is not currently classed in Street, but has now been available for 6 months at US dealers. There are few to zero used ones, but every dealer has new examples. It's a 400hp, 3000lb, mid-engined car.[/i]

Add the technical specifications that are shown for the "S" in number 2.

Quote:

I contend that this vehicle is eclipsed completely by both the C6 and C5 z06 and has very little chance of being an overdog. It is very comparable to the Cayman of the same vintage. It gains better suspension geometry, but gives up the limited slip differential.[/i]

I would not use the description "overdog". Find a better description or go into detail why the Evora will not dominate the class.

Quote:

I've owned one of these and ran it with the CCR region circa 2012. I no longer do. With that generation of tires (RE11, Z1*), it was very close to the pace of an S2000 and other (at the time) AS cars. It certainly wasn't a C5 FRC beater.[/i]

Provide some empirical data of when you ran the car. What cars produced similar times/competitiveness? What is your skill level and what were the levels of your competitors. If the data is from regional only events you will be hard pressed to sway opinions.

Quote:

Again it's not overdog, but the Evora could be a contender here.[/i]

Again, don't user overdog, find a better description and go into detail.

Quote:

For what it's worth, I would feel outclassed running against one in national events.[/i]

This just confuses me. You are trying to make the case that the cars should be moved down a class and then you say you would feel outclasses running against one. Either remove that statement or clarify so it does not hurt the case you are trying to make.

I hope this is helpful.

donour 01-20-2018 03:02 PM

Bump

This proposal was announced in the Dec 2017 SCCA Fastrack (#22613).

--
#22613 Comprehensive Street Reclass for Lotus Evora
The SAC would like member feedback on the following changes to Appendix A:
Move from SS to AS
Lotus
Evora S
Move from AS to BS
Lotus
***** Evora (Non S)
--

This significantly increases the competitiveness of the Evora in solo. If you support this change and are an SCCA member, I encourage you to send a short note in soon.

https://www.crbscca.com/?page=submitLetter

donour

jdawson 10-31-2018 10:00 AM

Big win for Lotus in SCCA street class:

Evora 410 to SS
Evora S to AS
Evora to BS

glagola1 10-31-2018 10:22 AM

...and I've never even driven and Evora. Sad!

jdawson 10-31-2018 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glagola1 (Post 5900916)
...and I've never even driven and Evora. Sad!

Hit me up if you're ever in the Bay Area.

donour 11-01-2018 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdawson (Post 5900912)
Big win for Lotus in SCCA street class:

Evora 410 to SS
Evora S to AS
Evora to BS

Yep, it is. This is the first time, probably ever, that Evoras have been classed competitively for national autocross. It's good for the whole community.

S1 and S2 owners: it's a great time to try autocross. With new classing rules, lots of people are going to be interested in helping first timers and seeing how the car performs.

Evora perspective owners: it's a buyers market.

donour

glagola1 11-01-2018 04:59 AM

Thanks, Jake! I will.

So yeah, a 2014 Evora S is 3100lbs and has 8" front wheels and 9.5" rear wheels and has to compete with Corvettes with 9.5" front wheels, 10.5" rear wheels, the same weight with 405 NA hp. Hmmmm

Not a gamble I would take.

6TVRs+ 09-05-2019 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WOW! Here's a bump to show good things come to those who wait and work at it!!!! I was surprised to not see any Elise in AS at Nationals.. but to see Donour in 3rd in BS in his Evora is AWESOME! Mark Daddio is a MULTIPLE National champion and to be right with him is fantastic!!