exige S and SC in stock (street) - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

exige S and SC in stock (street)

I am not an avid autocrosser these days, but it seems to me these cars should be allowed in stock. I guess it is street-R or whatever these days. Are they disallowed for production numbers or performance? Would an Exige-S really be the preferred car to have with such a lofty list below? Ive always been curious about this. It is also funny to me to see the 930 listed in the super category. I know there is no reason to competitively class a 30 year old scarce car but I dont think a stock class 930 could keep up with a stock class mini.

Audi
TT RS (2012-13)
BMW
Z8
Chevrolet
Corvette Stingray (C7) (2014)
Corvette ZR1 (2009-13)
Dodge
Viper (NOC)
Ford
Mustang Boss 302 Laguna
Seca (2012-13)
Mustang Cobra R (1993, 1995,
2000)
Lotus
Elise (non-SC) (2005-11)
Evora S (2011-14)
Exige (non-supercharged)
(2005)
Mercedes-Benz
AMG (NOC)
Porsche
911 (991, non-GT3) (2012-14)
911 (997 chassis) (2005-12)
911 GT3 (996 & 997, non-RS)
911 Turbo (930) (1974-89)
Boxster S (2009-14)
Boxster Spyder (2011-12)
Cayman R (2012)
Cayman S (2009-14)
SRT
Viper (2013-14)
Tesla Motors
Roadster (all) (2008-13)

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 03:27 AM

Its because of performance. A n/a elise can hold its own and with a good driver beat the corvettes and GT3s. Add more hp with a supercharger and they would be at the top of the results every time.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

they should let in the 991 gt3s, Older RS, later turbos, ferraris, and SC lotus I think.

They bumped up the "super" class I thought to allow higher performance cars. Id be curious to know how a well driven stock class exige would compare to an elise. I have autocrossed both casually, I think the biggest difference would be for courses with tight spots. The supercharger would help alot there.

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschen View Post
they should let in the 991 gt3s, Older RS, later turbos, ferraris, and SC lotus I think.

They bumped up the "super" class I thought to allow higher performance cars. Id be curious to know how a well driven stock class exige would compare to an elise. I have autocrossed both casually, I think the biggest difference would be for courses with tight spots. The supercharger would help alot there.
The supercharger (and the engine mapping) would help everywhere.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I think the biggest difference would be for courses with tight spots. The supercharger would help alot there.
So your saying there would be differences other places? The supercharger IS the only difference. They would turn the same, brake the same because they ARE the same except for the added power.

The scca is trying to be fair. Why would they let 2 cars exactly the same except for 50hp compete against each other?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Sure but the "before cam" difference is the most notable difference in power to me. I wonder how much time on a typical course it would be worth.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
Also:
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Sure but the "before cam" difference is the most notable difference in power to me. I wonder how much time on a typical course it would be worth.
A whole freaking lot.

The Elise is a properly-configured Miata <6200rpm. That's all. Kinda pathetic, really.

>6200, it gets a WHOLE lot better.

The "line" has to be drawn somewhere. Right now, it is drawn at the Elise, excluding the SC Elise and Exige. *I* am OK with that, and not just because I have an Elise - I BOUGHT an Elise because I thought it fit well in the current SS, and it met my criteria (RWD, Stock, fun to drive, not a Miata).

The Elise has done well in certain people's hands (in Stock category, not ignoring Ryan/Zust/et al) over the years. Johnson, Braun, Salerno, Conners, among others.

Adding 50hp to it = overdog, IMHO, compared to the SS of years past (and this years' SSR). Z06, GT3, Viper, Elise - distinctly different cars, with some course dependency, but all _can_ win.

Adding the s/c Elise or Exige....eh.

THAT SAID, I think it'd be good to have a place for those cars in Stock ("Street") - they're comparatively inexpensive, neat cars.

but they'd upset the apple cart. An Elise can win over a Z06/GT3/Viper on a course which emphasizes transitions, allows 6201+RPM more often than not, and does not have long, drawn out acceleration zones. I like those odds.

Adding 50hp....eh. It becomes the Car To Have more often than not. That's not a good thing.

HOWEVER.....now that the Z06 has gone to AS (in Street, not SSR), SStreet is kinda lonely.....I'd not be terribly surprised if they start letting other "cooler" cars into SS (not-R) to fill the void.

Might be the SC Elise/Exige. I'd not love it, but...eh, whatever, bring it.

I pretty strongly disagree that the switch to 200tw tires hurts the Corvettes enough to warrant a class change down. In fact, I think it is crap - they claim "reduced acceleration abilities," which is horsefeces, and "reduced braking," also horsefeces.

Meanwhile, the Lotus winds up with lower corner speeds, spending much more of its time <6200. Time will tell, really, we'll have to see how SS and AS play out at Nationals.

That said, a supercharger would make the car ALL KINDS of less-lazy below 6200.

Car for car, it'd be hard to compete with a SC Elise or Exige in a normal Elise, if not impossible.

If the SC car got put in SS, though, I'd have a MUCH better argument for putting it alongside the Z06 in AS. I won't say "where it belongs," because I think the Z06 "belongs" in SS, but IMHO, the Z06 and Elise belong in the same class.

.02c

Iain

Last edited by mannix; 04-17-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in