The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

GT3 in SS = teh suck

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  OneFastLotus 
#1 ·
There is talk about taking the gt3 off the exclusion list and adding it to SS. That compounded with the new C6's I think SS is becoming a much faster class. I don't see any hope for the Elise in SS if this becomes reality. That being said I don't think the Elise nessecarily deserves to be a class winning car. It wouldn't be in todays SS class but if you add the GT3 into the mix it would be laughable.

I think with the new class changes the Elise is a AS car that would fit well in the class with the S2000 and boxster S.

#3 ·
I don't think that they should let the GT3 run SS. It's just too expensive for a car that could dominate the class. I also hope that the C6 Z06 will not be allowed in. The base model C6 seems ok, it's probably not faster than the C5 Z06. It remains to be seen how competitive the Elise is against the C5 Z06, but at least that looks like a fair fight.

#4 ·
The Elise is an unusual SS car (if that is where it winds up, which most feel will happen). Everything else accelerates much harder and costs more. It might turn out be a a good car for the right kind of course. The other SS cars cannot be floored in many parts of an autocross course. So essentially they have all the power/torque the car can handle, all the time. But the Elise without a limited slip can be floored, and often. And you can't always be on Lift.

Bear in mind that if you don't launch at 8000 RPMs and dump the clutch it accelerates the slowest of any SS car. The in-a-given gear acceleration is slower than the other cars, and that is when you are on the high cam. Not that the Elise is slow but SS is a high power class. So to do well it needs to clean up in the corners and transitions.

Many SCCA types tend to look for the car-for-the-class as opposed to driving a car they like. Just my impression.

There is also a chance it could be allowed into SM2 if more folks write letters and so forth.

#5 ·
The point i was trying to make was the elise wouldn't be the car to have in SS now. SEB is considering raising the bar on SS and the Elise is really going to be in trouble then.

Looking at the new layout of AS I think the Elise would fit right in. I also don't think it would rule AS I think it should be added on a seperate line so that it can be moved mid season if it dominates to much, which I don't think it will.

#6 ·
They have 12 months to move it (mid season vis Fastrack) regardless of where it get's classed initially. After those 12 months are up, then it requires a request for member comment and an end-of-year move.

I think they will error on the side of caution and put it in SS.
With the recent move of the S2000's, Boxsters and Z4's to AS, they aren't likely to dump a perceived class killer in that mix.

#7 ·
Elise in SS

I am with Robert here. I have campaigned hard to get the ELISE into stock class initially then into AS later on.....

The second will not happen. With the class change and the board being conservative. The car will end up in SS.

Initially, I did not think the car had a chance against a Z06 but now I am starting to change my mind. Nobody has even started to do developement on an ELISE. SLAPPING Hoosier on an unchecked stock alignment is not developement.....and the car is in the hunt.

Give this baby a year. Then we will see.

Also, let the GT3 into SS. If this year in Kansas was any indication. The GT3 is expensive but one of the BEST Porsche drivers in the country ran a setup GT3 in ASP and had his BUTT handed to him by the Z06s in ASP and Also the top third of SS.

Having said that, I hope to try one at a National Tour next season.

If the Elise keeps getting pounded....I mean by more than a second regularly then the board will move it. If its 0.300 behind....it will be staying.

I have run a non setup Elise back to back against a setup Z06 on Kumhos.....I had a 1.2 second split. Since I was the driver in both cars it takes the driver out of the equation. I LOVE Z06s and appear to drive them well......The Elise I have a lot to learn in....

I think it will be there in time....

Later
PatS Nightfall Blue, LSS, 1st Limited Slip in the country ( I hope)

#9 ·
Pat has been in discussion with Lotus UK about the LSD and has been slipping his spot on the waiting list in order to make sure his car has the LSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.