Hmm, no Elise in AS at Solo Nats, but look at BS! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By 6TVRs+
  • 2 Post By donour
  • 1 Post By 6TVRs+
  • 2 Post By donour

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hmm, no Elise in AS at Solo Nats, but look at BS!

I have been curious as to why I did not see any Elises entered in the SCCA Solo Nationals going on this week. With 71 cars entered you would think maybe?? (as the leading cars are the same that the Elise has done well against in the past...)
But while looking...I stumbled into BS and look at Donour in his 2011 Evora!! WOW! Seriously good driving as Mark Daddio is a perennial favorite in ANY car he drives and has multiple National championships!

Congrats so far Donour! Keep it up!!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:00 PM

Looks like the Evora had the quickest Day 2 time, but not enough to affect overall standings. Still, a third place finish in a very competitive class is excellent.

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, top time in class for the day is a great accomplishment!!! (I did that back in 1998... )

Congrats to Donour on 3rd and almost as impressive is for SCCA to have achieved a classing goal. 8 DIFFERENT type cars in the 1st 8 positions!!Amazing!!

Gives me hope to keep on track on getting my 05 Elise in AS guise...
donour likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:43 AM

Thanks guys! Day 1 went well, but I left some serious time on the table. I don't feel like a left a lot on day 2 and knew the time was good before I saw it.

SS Lotus Elise and 6TVRs+ like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the video Donour!! I saw a couple bobbles, but when the aggression mode/zone is on and you are on point everywhere else, you can fly!! Well Done!!

Any speculation on your behalf why no Elises in AStreet this year at Nats??

Bill
donour likes this.

Last edited by 6TVRs+; 09-09-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TVRs+ View Post
Thanks for the video Donour!! ... Well Done!!

Any speculation on your behalf why no Elises in AStreet this year at Nats??
Thanks Bill!

The elise participation took a big hit when the stock class became street and had to run 200TW tires. I think the consensus is that the elise can't make up for the lack of power with that little grip. The C6 is just an easy button for AS. Ryan Clark was crazy fast all year in his 981 GTS and I know other fast drivers who are going to that platform for 2020. Ironically, this might have been the year to have brought one. I have the data from Luster's AS-winning runs and there wasn't a lot of room to use z06 power.

donour
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight Donour.
I managed to get my TVR to 2nd in 98' so maybe I can find some magic again. It may not win, but I think an Elise is still a trophy contender...lol---> all this speculation on my behalf and I have yet to run one on an autocross course! (But have trophied at Nationals at least 5 times.. so that may help..hahah)

I will say one thing I've noticed with just the 120 miles I've put on it since purchase, none on course, is I think it can be a fast car, just not an EASY car to drive fast!

Last edited by 6TVRs+; 09-10-2019 at 08:48 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

@donour
I have a question.. I saw a large part of the AS Vettes were running the new Yokos... some saying they feel like Hoosiers.. Don't know if a joke, but have you any feedback on them? I see some different size options for the Elise front..
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6TVRs+ View Post
@donour
I have a question.. I saw a large part of the AS Vettes were running the new Yokos... some saying they feel like Hoosiers.. Don't know if a joke, but have you any feedback on them? I see some different size options for the Elise front..

That's a good question and it's kind of a long story. For those who missed the backstory, The Yokohama A052 has been on the SCCA street tire exclusion list for a couple of years because the molded tread depth was too low. Additionally, sizing and performance was somewhat questionable. Yokohama released a new version in the spring of 2019 with an extra 32th of an inch of tread that put it over the threshold for SCCA street class and a bunch of people hailed it as the new tire-to-have. Not a lot of people ran it initially, although it made it's way on to some STR cars for tours. It wasn't really a new tire and many of us looked at it's roadcourse performance -- a known quantity -- and believed it wouldn't be a factor.

It seems that in august a few vocal drivers tested it and declared it the new hotness. "Drives like hoosiers" is just hyperbole. It's not really comparable to a hoosier A-series tire. They are sized big though. For ST classes, which have nominal width restrictions, it's probably the widest tire you can get. For street class this doesn't matter. The winners on the tire throughout the summer were only ST cars, which made sense to me and I never bought a set to test myself. I was tuning the car all the way up till the day before I left for the finale. I didn't have time to go through a whole test and setup routine for a new tire compound. That takes weeks. I had good setup sheets for the evora on RE71s and about a year of seat time on all national surfaces. Nobody had shown the tire to be good enough to justify switching.

Once people got to lincoln, it because a yok frenzy. First it was drivers who brought them as a backup. Then word got around they it was "definitely better" and emergency overnight orders and horse trading began. People were beg, borrowing, and stealing to get a set for their heat. The tires on the winning STU car were on an FS car the day before. SSC cars became STX because there were some yoks that fit. Many fast drivers decided they had to have the tire and arranged to get them. I'm convinced it was psychosomatic. Even if the tire _were_ better, switching your setup on the last day is a bad idea. Several times I have been told that if I were on yoks, then I would have won. That's wrong. If I were on yoks, my car would have been more unpredictable and I would have hit cones.

That being said, a bunch of really good drivers with multiple jackets have data showing that the yoks first run is magic and faster than anything else out there. The tires don't come back though. Once they are warm they settle to a plateau that is similar to the re71. That is probably good for a pro solo, but for nats I maintain that the right choice is a predictable tire on a well setup car that I could attack every run and execute a plan with. One important lesson that I took away from pro racing is this: it's not enough to build a fast car and fast driver, you have to deliver the performance at the critical moment with few mistakes.

donour
Molez93 and 6TVRs+ like this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

THAT's the sort of feedback I was looking for! Thank you for a detailed account!
Waaaaaay Back on some of my early Nationals 25+ years ago, there was talk of special "Nationals only" tires.. that were more or less proved to be the case..with some hyperbole thrown in for good measure. I can remember some BFGs so sticky that when they were shaved for competition to start (Is that even allowed anymore?), the shavings were so sticky that you could mold them together and make a baseball or softball sized rubber "ball" that held together!

I did notice that it seemed the people needing larger sizes were the ones on them.. and I was curious as there were some sizes not available on the RE-71s.. IIRC the yoks are a pound lighter for rears? (For Elise 245/40/17) BTW, recently picked up some stock Elise sport size SSR rims...any idea if anyone has got RE-71s on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in