How is your 2015 season going? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

How is your 2015 season going?

Started to hijack Coding's thread so here is new one. Post up how your doing so far, what your mods are, what class you are in!

EDIT: Below are some of my posts from coding's thread.

1st EVENT: So I just ran my first SSM points event. Out of 4 members I got 2nd place, I don't think I will ever get first though. My main comp is an 87 Turbo RX7 running 315 hoosiers square! : . He got me by 1.6secs, it would have less but I kept blowing the last turn. I'm pretty happy though, since I am on a 225 square 100tw R compound. The other cars in my class are a 1st gen RX7 that has been turbo'd (original owner and exremely clean!) running on Hoosiers and a 2000+ Z3M Coupe on some kind of BFG slick.

2nd EVENT: Grrrr... 2seconds behind the leader yesterday. There were alot of driving errors on my part (being too cautious and over braking) but I am getting a lot of wheel spin (no LSD) coming out of corners. Next race isnt until the 17th, but I will be running with my other club on the 9th for testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier
Smile because this is fun.

If it is important to you to catch this guy, buy the Hoosiers.

Definitely fun, if it wasn't I wouldn't compete. Really just posting my progress/results for the season. Should I start a new thread?

I'm running brand new R-comps (888/NT01 style), so no budget for new tires this season. I like the idea of being an underdog (well, tire wise at least, can't really be an underdog in an Exige.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm
Personally...(Keep in mind I am not as good/experienced as others on this thread), but I would say get better at driving the car on Street tires first. They are more forgiving and allow you to "clean up" your driving habits. They after you are A LOT cleaner, then make the move to Hoosiers. Honestly I have a guy who I run with who runs Toyo R1Rs on his SS prepped Elise and he can generally match or beat the 2014 ZR-1 (SSP) on hoosiers (with a very experienced driver behind the wheel) in raw, but ALWAYS in Pax virtually every event.

And then put him behind the wheel of my under prepped SSP elise (I only have Penske D/As to be in the SSP class...other than that I would be in the SS class really) and he can still match/beat the same car in either raw or PAX on well used street tires.

So I say get more practice, and then when you think you are really ready, make the jump to Hoosiers. If not...then you rely more on the ability of the tires to keep you in "check" and less on your own ability to be smooth in your car. Smoothness is what I need to fix in my own driving habits.
You are absolutely right, last season I ran with a local driving club that is "run what you brung" and pretty much I ran old Z1s last season and was plagued with traction issues, but I was consistent. Typically finished in the top 20 raw times out of 70-100 cars. A few times I was able to drive my friends car or borrow his 888s and would finish in the top 6-10. So I decided to just get a set of 100tw R comps and run SCCA and see where I am. The R comps don't talk, the course is faster and I am no where as smooth as I should be. It hasn't been warm enough to get these tires up to operating temp, so I still haven't seen what they are capable of. I will finish this season on the current set up and upgrade to hoosiers next year.

You are absolutely right, last season I ran with a local driving club that is "run what you brung" and pretty much I ran old Z1s last season and was plagued with traction issues, but I was consistent. Typically finished in the top 20 raw times out of 70-100 cars. A few times I was able to drive my friends car or borrow his 888s and would finish in the top 6-10. So I decided to just get a set of 100tw R comps and run SCCA and see where I am. The R comps don't talk, the course is faster and I am no where as smooth as I should be. It hasn't been warm enough to get these tires up to operating temp, so I still haven't seen what they are capable of. I will finish this season on the current set up and upgrade to hoosiers next year.

Last edited by Silver_Surfer; 04-30-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Autoxer

This thread never got traction but it would be fun to rant and share the ups and downs.

My 2015 started with running an ES MR2 Spyder, car was competitive and looking to show a lot of promise for Nationals. However the owner found a great opportunity to buy an Elise and we agreed he should sell the ES car for that and he did...he's probably reading this right now. That forced me to consider other options. My DD is a Fiesta ST that I prep'd for H Street but I found I don't enjoy it enough to compete in it. That left me with running my Exige. I had it just barely over the line for SSP as an SSM car running at PCA events due to a pulley and rear panel delete. So I removed those got some SSP letters and off I went.

So first event in the Exige for SCCA and I only have NT01 tires, 225f/255r on 8" wide wheels all around. First day the car is so uncontrollable I spend the entire event trying to make the front of the car stop working and the rear of the car work better to find predictable balance. Finish last in pro class, raw timed by SS. Day 2 at the same event, I now have a much better starting point but the car is still mega loose on entry so I have to tip toe into each corner and slalom, but speed is up overall. Still last in Pro but did manage to FTD (mod cars here aren't super fast). I vow to fix this and get better tires as I now notice the NT01 feels no faster than RE71Rs, Hoosiers are calling my name.

A week later at a PCA event, I've now dialed in more rear toe than I've ever run on any car and put on some 205f/225r Hoosier A7s. It's a small lot but the car is completely different and fun to drive, raw time everything by 3.5 seconds.

A week after that PCA event is the CO National Tour. I don't know what I have so I run 6 test and test runs and fortunately Jake is there and I run about the right spread from him in PAX that the car appears it might be competitive. Day 1, first run the car is really pretty good on cold tires, I debate two downshifts I never do, barely clip a cone and realize I'm sitting on a 5 second lead due to others having cones too and me having some decent pace. I clean up and carry a 4 second lead into day 2. I never downshifted and looking at the data later, that was a huge mistake and explains why I only raw SS by a second and puts me 9th in PAX. Day 2, I make the two downshifts going the opposite direction, competitors have cone trouble and I'm clean all day because the car is working well and I can place it. Win by 6.6 seconds and 4th in PAX for the day, 7th for the event. Big win was the car is really in the ballpark of what works. Rear tire wear on the shoulders was excessive but since the car really rotates the fronts have decent wear considering.

I've since acquired 245 rears and eventually will get some 225s to go with that set but after I cord my current set. With all the non-racing related expenses I've had this year not sure I can swing nationals but I have reservations and I'm exploring co-driving options but I'll have to decide here pretty soon. Otherwise I'll keep running the Exige for the rest of my local events this year. Next year I'm not sure what I will do other than keep running it for local events.

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:09 AM

My car feels awesome and I have a good feeling about this season. TBD...

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 09:17 AM

My season has been going quite well. I feel like the SuperStreet PAX index is a bit liberal, so I'm trying to avoid drawing conclusions based on overall results.

Lots of damper changes
Alignment changes
Planning FSB changes
Utilizing Solostorm at every event

Excited about Nats this year - we'll see how everything turns out in September!

2006 Lotus Elise
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Garage
seems like wedding season is cutting into my track season

just at that age

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 02:30 PM

I sucked last year and im really sucking this year! Been doing a lot of track days and Chumpcar so haven't had time to AutoX nearly as much as I want to. Its so much less stressful.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
My car feels awesome and I have a good feeling about this season. TBD...
You should, after the annihilation you dropped on everyone at the last event.

My season _started_ well. First ever Atlanta pro class win (I'm in SS, still using last year's Toyos) against a much diminished field at our first event this year. And then I lunched the transmission on the last run at our 4th event. =/
New transmission has since been acquired and installed (thanks Matt, for all the help), and now I am a rear caliper rebuild away from being up and running again.

whee.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

We've had 5 events so far this year (for SCCA), but I've only been able to make it to 4. 1st place in my class is not even a possibility, but I'm holding on to 2nd. I'm running 50/50 right now, two races that have gone well and 2 that haven't. The next event is on the 29th. LSD is definitely getting installed this winter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in