Limited Slip at the SS Nationals - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Limited Slip at the SS Nationals

First, congratulations to all the Elise drivers on Solo's biggest stage. I'm curious about the Elise in SS. How many were equipped with the factory traction control/ limited slip option? Anyone know or have an informed estimate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:49 AM

Good question. I believe Bryan Carbon has one installed. I've driven his car and a car with an open diff and was not able to tell a difference. Matthew Braun also was not able to tell the difference when he was racing the car in SS on Hoosiers. Anecdotal evidence is that he thought the car he was racing had an LSD and it turns out it did not.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Good question. I believe Bryan Carbon has one installed. I've driven his car and a car with an open diff and was not able to tell a difference. Matthew Braun also was not able to tell the difference when he was racing the car in SS on Hoosiers. Anecdotal evidence is that he thought the car he was racing had an LSD and it turns out it did not.
I think once you get the monster front sway bar in, you don't notice the lack of an LSD. My buddy has a 2005 on the stock bar, and can spin the inside wheel, so you can sure tell a defference there.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Elise Guru

I've put them in for a few folks. I believe they help. The comment on the monster front bar is potentially correct, however, most folks compensate with stupid tons of low-speed rear compression to act as stiffer rear spring in transition.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:32 PM

I could definitely tell with my Supercharged 2006 Exige with Track pack. That being said I was stuck running on old Z1s this season. Maxing out the track pack sway bar helped with the wheel spin, but it wasn't until I borrowed my friends 888s that it nearly went 100% away.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 12:36 PM
Autoxer

I could tell on Jake's 06 Elise that he had no LSD but it was on old tires and the base suspension. It's hard to say if he had done the LSS/RS3 that it would have mattered as much.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I'm Bryan and I don't have an LSD, but I do have the big bar. I get some inside tire spin: Coming out of Low speed first gear corners and when I am accelerating hard and close to the limit in a slalom. I did not notice any inside wheelspin at Nats this year.

The car does not "need" and LSD only if you want a 100% prepped car.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
I could tell on Jake's 06 Elise that he had no LSD but it was on old tires and the base suspension. It's hard to say if he had done the LSS/RS3 that it would have mattered as much.
I did three events with Penskes, LSS legal wheels and RS3s before having Fred install the LSD. I did not have LSS springs for those events, so that would have caused the car to roll a bit more than it does now. The inside wheel spin was course dependent. Sometimes it wasn't noticeable and after other runs I would think to myself, "Why the $#(* didn't Lotus put an LSD in every Elise!?"

I think the LSD is more beneficial for those who don't use a huge front bar. I'm on the smaller BWR bar and I'm not at full stiff.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Autoxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
I did three events with Penskes, LSS legal wheels and RS3s before having Fred install the LSD. I did not have LSS springs for those events, so that would have caused the car to roll a bit more than it does now. The inside wheel spin was course dependent. Sometimes it wasn't noticeable and after other runs I would think to myself, "Why the $#(* didn't Lotus put an LSD in every Elise!?"

I think the LSD is more beneficial for those who don't use a huge front bar. I'm on the smaller BWR bar and I'm not at full stiff.
Ah the first time I drove it I think it was pretty base right? I could tell then. I think the second time I drove it it had everything done?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQautoxer View Post
Ah the first time I drove it I think it was pretty base right? I could tell then. I think the second time I drove it it had everything done?
Yep, completely stock with AD07 LTS wheels/tires to pre-nats prep.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-16-2014, 10:39 AM

John Ma has a LSD... My car has a LSD. Washburn did not have a LSD.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 AM

Iain also has an LSD in his car.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 08:20 AM

UPDATE: On my 06 Exige (supercharged) with track pack Bils and 1 day old RS3s, I still got wheel spin. I have 1 more event (Nov 15) to try the now broken in RS3s.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
UPDATE: On my 06 Exige (supercharged) with track pack Bils and 1 day old RS3s, I still got wheel spin. I have 1 more event (Nov 15) to try the now broken in RS3s.
Just for clarity, does this car have LSD or not?

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com

Last edited by philethier; 10-24-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: sticky v key
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Just for clarity, does this car hae LSD or not?
Sorry, yeah no LSD. I'm considerably faster in my friends (x2) LSD equipped cars and both of them are N/A.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in