Mid-Engine Cars in STU - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Mid-Engine Cars in STU

Good morning,

There's a new Fast Track out, and in letter #14254, it outlines the inclusion of mid-engine cars in STU. I wrote a letter asking for clarification on whether this will include the Elise/Exige, and in particular the supercharged versions.

It would be pretty great if there was an avenue for the S to compete aside in SSP where you have an overwhelming amount of modifications you need to do to be fully prepared.

If you feel strongly about the new class, please write a letter to ensure Lotuses aren't left out of the fun!

Below is the letter outlining the proposed changes:

Quote:
#14254 RWD Wheel Width Limit Proposal
The STAC and SEB are working together to ensure we carry out a clear, strong vision for Street Touring, and STU as
described below.
The Street Touring category of vehicle modifications is meant to fit between the current Street and Street Prepared
categories. This category provides a natural competition outlet for auto enthusiasts using affordable sports cars and
sedans equipped with common suspension and engine modifications compatible with street use. The Street Touring
Ultimate class is meant to be the fastest class in the Street Touring category. It should provide members with competition
in affordable high performance cars.
SCCA Fastrack News July 2015 Page 9
It is important that we continue to provide our membership with a category that offers good balanced competition, that
is inclusive of different car types, and that respects the work that it took to grow into the strong class we see today. STU
has also seen recent enthusiasm in the form of increased requests for expanded car classing and additional allowances
that would enable fair and expanded classing.
In order to capitalize on this growth and enthusiasm, the STAC presents the following proposals for feedback to
point STU in the direction of increased stability, increased performance, and increased opportunities for classing with
simplified allowances.
Change the following language in 14.4 WHEELS:
STU - unlimited 11”
Change the following language in 14.3 TIRES:
STU (2WD, Mid-Engine, Rear-Engine) - 255mm
STU (2WD, Other) - 285mm
STU (AWD) - 255mm
The STAC is considering allowing some mid-engined cars, such as the Porsche Boxster, into STU. Per the above
proposal, these cars would be limited to the same tire size as AWD cars. After collecting data to review the performance
potential of ST mid-engined cars, allowances could be adjusted, and/or the cars could be moved if appropriate.
Note: The STAC and SEB believe the new wheel restriction will improve parity between cars that have more room for
extra-wide wheels and those that do not. This also directly addresses cost escalation issues that have been expressed
as a barrier to entry. The STAC has queried many STU competitors and found none running wheels wider than 11” so
this proposal should hopefully not be a takeback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 05:43 AM
Autoxer

I get it but to put it bluntly, the Lotus would dominate and that is not a good thing. While we all love the car, it isn't healthy for the class or the sport. 255 in a 2750lbs Boxster S in STU is a handicap, 255 on our 1900-2000lbs cars prepared isnt. Also it would be the lightest car in STU by quite a lot, the most rare, and on the more expensive side. For regional competition this is all probably fine but not so much for national competition.

- Former AC member

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:20 AM

What Tom said. Heck, the ELISE would dominate STU, let alone a supercharged variant. Making one of these cars the "car to have" is not something the STAC/SEB is going to recommend.

I agree, it'd be nice if there were more places for the supercharged cars in particular - at least the Elise gets a stock class to compete in - but STU is not it.

Don't let the "street" in STU fool you, either - maximizing the ST* ruleset is significant; it allows a lot of Stuff.

Don't forget - assuming a SCCA club, you can get the local region to do whatever they want; for example, we put a rule in for some local competitors many years ago allowing wide wheels on their ITB Rabbit (roadrace car) to run in DSP. It was not legal nationally, but locally, everyone got happier. Your region COULD class your car in SS or HS or wherever it fits. That only answers part of the question, but it is an option.

Iain, former AC/SEB member

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 06:57 AM

would be cool, but aint no way.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

I was blindly hoping for the S, but you guys don't even think the base Elise will compete in STU with this change?

If this lets the 996 into STU (which it sounds like it does), you essentially have a lighter GT3 competing in STU, why not a base Elise?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2015, 07:11 AM
Autoxer

The Elise in stock trim is significantly held back by the front camber, wheel sizes, and to a lesser degree; the tune. This will make it likely exceed any 996 in STU trim since they gain less. Plus add in the tire handicap they are suggesting for mid/rear engine cars; 255s will hurt and is significantly smaller than the GT3 can run in SS.

I wish my Exige S could play in a street tire class but I've accepted that with sub 1000 models sold in the US it's not a car the SCCA should specifically worry about that otherwise we will just have too many more classes and I'm in the camp of we already have too many classes as it is.

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2015, 11:44 AM

As an STU competitor who is already trying to pick up all of my apples from when the SCCA tipped our carts over with the vettes: Hell no to the Lotus in STU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in