New SEB rules/regs-how do they affect Elise drivers? - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 PM

See 13.4 on P. 10-11: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...-june-solo.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroundy View Post
naloise,
can you quote the proposed rule that will allow us to use different size wheels, please.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

[FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]2005 Elise Ardent Red / Biscuit Leather / Touring / Hard Top / Converted to LSS / Larini "Sports" Exhaust System. No Star Shield
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Iain, it would be awesome to do the community a favor and pay close attention to your rear tire tread wear... and even your fronts. You would do a huge favor to folks by documenting the run count, tread depth, durometer, feel and visual observations of the tires as they wear.

In 2010, I ran 255/40/17 R1Rs exclusively on an S2000 in STR. I would run them unshaved which is at 8/32" of tread depth. In roughly 40-60 runs depending on surface, the tire would wear down to about 4/32". At this depth the tire was optimal. Around 3/32" the tire would start to go off. At 2/32" a different compound would appear through the tread in a random pattern that would indicate a different injection. At this point the tire's grip would plummet... roughly 3-4 seconds on the clock. It was huge and undeniable.

Also, the tire at full tread on the 2700lb S2000 was quite a handful to drive. It was slow to respond and every dicey move felt like a gamble. I did not enjoy it.

This was not the case at all with the 195. It would run untill the end. It just kept getting better and better until you felt the need to change them out because they looked so damn bad. If this trait is discovered in the 235/40-17, it would mean that an Elise would feel fantastic on street tires. You'd have to take advantage of 2014. Savour it, if you will.

Last edited by glagola1; 06-19-2013 at 07:00 AM.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferjer View Post
I keep discovering nice little things and not so little things about the car I bought. I have 1 full degree of negative camber up (each side) front after pulling all but the ABS shims. That's about the most I've ever seen or heard of, stock. The car just keeps making me do a happy dance.
You lucky stiff. I get a lousy half-degree.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 05:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Alrighty, so it looks like 2014 is going to be a good year for the Elise in SS.

Here's what I would do: get 15x6.5" rims for the front and run the magical Toyo R1R in the 195-50-15 size and use the stock wheels in the rear with the R1R in the also magical 235-40-17 size.... and enjoy beating other elise drivers because that's all who is going to run SS. The vette drivers will run SSR.

2015 will be a completely different picture.

Regarding the 235 and it's compounding: I'm not sure. I was told that Lugod found them to be the good stuff all the way through. Contact him and find out.
The base rims are 5.5s. Can we run the 195s in the base rim? I have a set of base rims collecting dust. EDIT: nevermind. You can pick up cheap lightweight wheels in 15 6.5 for like $100 each.

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car

Last edited by Surferjer; 06-19-2013 at 05:24 AM.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Iian, it would be awesome to do the community a favor and pay close attention to your rear tire tread wear... and even your fronts. You would do a huge favor to folks by documenting the run count, tread depth, durometer, feel and visual observations of the tires as they wear.
Willdo. What you described as far as tire wear on the s2k is what I'm expecting from the front - good for the first half, then _BAD_.

If it is true, the 235 rear being the "good to the last drop" tire, I should be able to run those to cord, replace the fronts at ~4/32".

This weekend should get me a WHOLE lot closer; the other event I have on the tires (and ~300 street miles) has resulted in almost no measurable wear - the site we ran on a few weeks ago is smooth and REALLY easy on tires.

PPIR, otoh, this weekend, is not easy on tires. Not awful, but comparable to Lincoln. I should see some wear.

Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in