Overfender flare creation - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 09:31 AM

Just saw this thread. Looks awesome, Matt!! You know you can count me in for a set to help spread any expenses out for you!

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Coolness. It'll be a little bit before these badbears are done. There's a hell of a lot of prep work that goes into making the plugs... let alone the molds.
post #23 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Haha of course. I don't even get the new front clam until the end of January, and I'll prolly run everything for a while just cut without any flares until I see how far I need to cut anyway. Our first events aren't until March.

post #24 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Run everything before cutting the clam? You must not have wheels and tires yet. It will be impossible to run a wheel/tire combo that doesn't tuck when you are running the 40mm drop EP uprights. I've never had to put preload into a spring before just to get the car to sit at a usable ride height.
post #25 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 AM

Looks great!
post #26 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by da40flyer View Post
Looks great!
Thanks! Your splitter and diffuser are awesome.
post #27 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

So here's a little progress.

I finished the passenger side shape and have started on the driver side.

I made 11 templates off the wheel at 15* intervals so the driver side flare will match. Here is the main part of the tool that fits in the middle of the rim then there are template pieces that sit on another piece of cardboard attached to the main tool.

Here's a shot of where it's at. Just the 90* (12 o'clock) and 75* templates are matched right now.

I still have a ton of work to do finishing these bucks then making the molds and finally, the parts.
post #28 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Run everything before cutting the clam? You must not have wheels and tires yet. It will be impossible to run a wheel/tire combo that doesn't tuck when you are running the 40mm drop EP uprights. I've never had to put preload into a spring before just to get the car to sit at a usable ride height.
Sorry my sentence was unclear -- I meant that I would cut the clam but have no flares or anything for a while.

Yeah, I'm going to need to raise the car way up after throwing these on. I ordered the wheels a few weeks ago so they'll probably come in around the end of January, at which point hopefully the car is back on the road for testing...

post #29 of 157 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 08:43 AM

re: Wheel arches for bigger wheels

To accommodate bigger wheels, the clam has to be cut.

I run 285/30/18 on front. This is 24.75" diameter versus much smaller

Also, do not measure when the wheel is pointed straight ahead. Take measurements with the wheel turned full right and left. You will see more clearance issues.

Anton

P.S. I did not have time to make a good race front clam... Besides bigger arches, we should take advantage of our mid-engine configuration and have good aero in the front. There is much more downforce to be had. Just dreaming....

Quote:
Originally Posted by codingparadox View Post
Sorry my sentence was unclear -- I meant that I would cut the clam but have no flares or anything for a while.

Yeah, I'm going to need to raise the car way up after throwing these on. I ordered the wheels a few weeks ago so they'll probably come in around the end of January, at which point hopefully the car is back on the road for testing...
post #30 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Things are going well in flare-land.

post #31 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM

I've been out of the loop for a while, Matt, just catching up now. looks GREAT!!!

CDR, USN Submariner
2003 Mazda Rev-it-up 10th Overall
2005 Magnetic Blue Elise LSS/Touring/HT/SS/VF Stage II
1988 Honda CRX Si Bubba!! Serious Autox Car 184 STS
2005 Subaru WRX STi Beater. Fast Beater. Heh.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
post #32 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-21-2015, 10:00 AM

Looking great Matt.

Whats the plan for attaching to the Car?
post #33 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, they are mounted with small bolts that have a nice looking inset allen head cap (stainless with black coating) and nylock nuts and washers on the inside of the body. I'm making rear flares now and will be painting everything body color after I finish the top surfaces.

post #34 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 AM

Awesome.
Let me know how much. I really want a set.
post #35 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:09 AM
Arch. Project Manager

More pics please. Any plans to paint them?

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #36 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Surfer, I plan to paint them body color.

Ryan, it's going to be a while before I can reproduce these. These parts are being made moldless-ly so they are essentially prototypes. After I finish and paint them, if there is enough interest, they will be used to make molds. Then the molds will be used to produce vacuum bagged parts of a higher quality (better resin to cloth ratio). It turned out that the prototypes are actually pretty light and very robust. There's 11 layers of varying weights of cloth in them and I'd trust these to survive cone hits more than I would the Lotus body. I didn't use any mat, just plain weave cloth which is pretty strong in comparison.

Anyway, I'll try to keep up with this thread but I may need a reminder. I should take some close up pics to show mounting. Here's a pic of the flare with the flash trimmed off but with no sanding.
post #37 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:50 AM

Looks good Matt! How did things go at Dixie? Shoot me a message next time you autox with Wiregrass.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #38 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM

Matt knows he has at least 2 buyers for them when he gets around to it. ;-)

post #39 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Coolness. I really enjoy working with composites. I'm going to be starting on the rear flare shaping this weekend and things should fly this time around since I've got a little more experience now and I know the pitfalls to avoid. I also have to do the body filler and sanding on the top of the front flares. My buddy does good painting work and did the carbon roof a few weeks ago. Looks almost factory... just a tiny touch lighter in hue than the car. It's not really noticeable. I'm pretty picky and I'm not bothered by it.

Theoretically, once the flares are filled and painted, it should be really easy to make molds from them. Then parts should be really easy to make from the molds. The actual laying of the glass is really fun. The pain is making the forms.... and I guess cutting out the 11 layers of glass per fender sucks too.

Things went really well in Dixie. Top Pax and top raw is becoming a habbit I can live with. I think I will give SSM a run for it's money this year. The latest rounds of mods (uprights, wing endplates, ballast relocation) have really paid off. I suspect it's getting more than -2.7* up front and raising roll centers that has helped so much. Quitting the left foot braking has probably picked up .5 on an average course alone.

I probably won't be back to Hunt or Dixie until late Feb.
post #40 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM
user /tron

subscribed. These are awesome; can't wait to see finished product...and if you'll make more for a price.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in