Overfender flare creation - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

I am getting way better at this stufff. I poured the foam, carved it, RO sanded and hand sanded both sides in about 5 hours last weekend. The rears were a lot easier overall... one thing I learned is that you should pour the foam before it starts to get too thick because when it's thick, it can fold over on itself like dough and make air pockets. The passenger side was poured while the foam was still quite runny but the driver side had a few bubbles in it the size of a lima bean. It's about 95% shaped. There are still some differences side to side that I need to work out but for one evening, I'm stoked. Time is running out before the season!

The front flares are getting painted right now. I'm excited to see them finished.

Here's the pics:

Here's some pics of the front flares with primer:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 05:11 PM

Wow, those look very nice !
post #43 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-09-2015, 06:03 PM

Very cool!

Subscribed.

post #44 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 AM

Those look awesome!
post #45 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Here's a little more development for those following at home:

I'm about to lay the glass on the rear flares and instead of using packing tape over the drywall mud I'm going to try aluminum foil. The packing tape gave me some issues with not staying stuck down on the drywall mud and this issue made it's way to the surface of the passenger side part which made a lot more work getting it smooth. So for the rears, after sanding down the drywall mud, I sprayed a little primer over it to seal it. Then I put a misting of spray adhesive over that and laid some aluminum foil on it. I covered a spoon with masking tape and used it to smooth out the wrinkles in the aluminum foil. Turns out, the pliability of aluminum is pretty good. Duh. I'm going to wax it and then lay the glass. This should turn out a good bit more smooth than the fronts which should cut down filler/sanding time.

And here's a teaser pic of the front passenger side painted. I gave my painter an access panel to verify paint match. It's pretty close but a little lighter. Not too much you can do about that when you buy your paint on line. It's close enough for me though.

post #46 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:06 AM

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #47 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 11:23 AM
not your dad's puns

Wow. If I had those sorts of skills, I would be putting box flares on *everything*. Really very nice work.

because racecar
post #48 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-14-2015, 10:45 AM
Arch. Project Manager

That looks great. Can't wait to see shots of it back on the car!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #49 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 06:51 AM Thread Starter

It's totally getting there. Should have the rear flares back from paint by the weekend.

post #50 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:06 AM
user /tron

Sweet baby Jesus, those are fantastic. When do you start commercial production and selling to members? }

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #51 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'm not sure about re-selling quite yet. I'm going make a side scoop first and make a mold of that first to test out molding a making parts. It'll be like a practice run for the fender molds. It's always good to do test runs on stuff you've never done before.

The tough part is making the buck/plug. The finish on these is really good so pulling a good mold should be cake, right?

It would also be sad to have other cars looking like mine but if I could make it worth my time, I'd do it.
post #52 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 07:47 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post

It would also be sad to have other cars looking like mine but if I could make it worth my time, I'd do it.
makes sense - after all that work, I'd want to be unique too.
Are you cutting the original clams for clearance with those flares mounted? or is it just extra tire coverage?

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #53 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

I cut the clams pretty extensively. My car is very low.
post #54 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:29 AM

I would hate and respect you if you keep the flares to yourself lol. Looks AWESOME!

Live a long happy life
post #55 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:33 AM

This thread keeps getting better and better, can't wait to see the final product!
post #56 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:49 AM

Garage
Looks awesome, definitely interested... Now for the standard Lotus question... (of concern for anyone other than boosty folks in SSM...) How much do they wind up weighing?

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
post #57 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

ha ha ha... the fronts weigh probably around 2.5lbs.... according to my highly calibrated hands. They stick out pretty far though. I mean, a 275 Hoosier will tuck into the top. You'd have to want to run a pretty fat tire to want to buy these.

When it's all said and done, I'll update the thread with outdoor pics with sun on the car and all the lines visible. I'm dying to see it myself.
post #58 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:47 PM

Garage
I'm SSM too, so I'll eventually move to the same 275/10.5" wheels as you. I just skip the boost leave the extra 315 lbs of weight at home (well right now I only mange to leave 285 of it at home but....).

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

post #59 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 02:48 PM

The "light and slow" method has been tried before a few times and not gone well, but anything's worth a shot.

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
post #60 of 157 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 03:03 PM

Garage
Well one of the local drivers (better than me, still working on my driving...) has twice put up times that were 2 & 3 seconds ahead of a nationally competitive SSR vette (in one run, 67 sec course) The vette was driven by a guy who has several tour level trophies (and top pax at a match tour). And that's with...

205/245 tires
Open Diff
Zero engine work, just CAI/header/muffler
Canned CharlieX tune.

Plus a bunch of smaller stuff like wishbone bushings, etc is yet to be done..

Could be course dependency, off days for the vette, whatnot.... You could be right in the end, but he did it twice and there's got to be time yet to be found in the build, which gives me some hope. Power to weight is one thing, tire to weight is another.

Last edited by fsparv; 02-25-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in