Overfender flare creation - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:16 AM

Garage
oh, but I'm forgetting about Elise SC so this may be easier now...

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsparv View Post
The stock supercharger in exiges before 2012 is an Mp-62 IIRC, so if he's running that in an exige with no changes to boost or pulleys etc, then he's not running an aftermarket S/C, and yes SSP.

To run SSP with an MP-62 in a car that started out as an elise, one has to treat it as an option conversion, and add in a bunch of other bits that differ between elise/exige (though not everything I think, but probably cheaper to buy an exige in the first place...) There's a big (old) thread on this already ...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f99/...ger-kit-43621/
Huh, guess I'm lucky my car came with an OEM lotus elise supercharger setup so I don't need to deal with any other wierdness. Though it also means I'm gonna be kinda slow...

Back to topic:
Those flares are SUPER hot, I'm totally down for buying a set if you produce them.

Last edited by ubersoph; 03-17-2015 at 02:52 PM.
post #103 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
The stock supercharger in exiges before 2012 is an Mp-62 IIRC, so if he's running that in an exige with no changes to boost or pulleys etc, then he's not running an aftermarket S/C, and yes SSP.

To run SSP with an MP-62 in a car that started out as an elise, one has to treat it as an option conversion, and add in a bunch of other bits that differ between elise/exige (though not everything I think, but probably cheaper to buy an exige in the first place...) There's a big (old) thread on this already ...

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f99/...ger-kit-43621/
yeah, I run an katana MP-62 (2006 Exige), but because I don't have every stock exige S part I think it disqualifies me, but I need to look into that thread.

post #104 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:37 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I like all the aspects of auto-x. I like building. I like driving. I like the social aspects.... and I like the competition. I also like traveling and going to podunk towns for the weekend. I like sunburns and wind burns and sore feet.
Truly well-stated!

BTW, Killer flares, look forward to seeing them produced!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #105 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:47 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
yeah, I run an katana MP-62 (2006 Exige), but because I don't have every stock exige S part I think it disqualifies me, but I need to look into that thread.
Silver, it does. Basically you have to have the entire Lotus SC setup from the EXIGE with exception of intercooler. This is the setup Ryno runs, I believe. Back in the early days, when Dinosaurs roamed the earth, you could get all the bits from Lotus for about $5k. Then in 2007-2008 they raised the price on the S/C alone to over $5k, making the conversion over $10,000.

Although, you have to run heavy in SSM, it is a good tradeoff for livability. One of our shop cars is "the Buick". This our yellow 2005 with stereo, JL Sub, amp, leather console, sound deadening..... AND BWR DA Penskes, BWR 15/17" wheels running 200TW tires, TVS400 with FW tune. Great dual purpose car. MGlagola and Coding Paradox are FAR more serious, but with the weight at 2120, you don't have to get rid of A/C stereo etc.....

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

Last edited by fzust; 03-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
post #106 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Fred. Just a slight clarification, the weight is 2120.

I don't know if I'm going to produce these. I'd produce the rears but I'd like to take another crack at the fronts.
post #107 of 157 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 08:46 AM

I think I'll just cut up my clams to fit the 275s and then wait until you figure out what you're doing with these before I add anything back to them.

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
post #108 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 04:46 AM
user /tron

Has anyone made a thread showing how/where they cut their clams for tire clearance? I can't find anything and am really curious.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #109 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

Aquire flare, trace top of flare, cut under that by a couple inches or so, remove spring from shock and move the wheel through it's range. Test drive and see if it rubs. Cut more if it does....

That was my process.
post #110 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:46 AM

Yeah, with the Miata I did just that. With the Elise I intend to do the same, later this week -- throw new clam on, then cut out like an inch and a half or so to start with, then throw race tires on and slalom in a parking lot and see if it rubs. Keep cutting until it stops rubbing. Sometime in a couple months add fender flares.

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
post #111 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 10:19 AM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QlH4R3YakA

Aquire flare, trace top of flare, cut under that by a couple inches or so, remove spring from shock and move the wheel through it's range. Test drive and see if it rubs. Cut more if it does....

That was my process.
Nice - thanks. Did you have to do anything to the cut edge or does it hold up on it's own?

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #112 of 157 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

I didn't do anything except sand the cut edge so I don't get splintered while working on the car later.
post #113 of 157 (permalink) Old 10-10-2015, 08:39 AM

just found this thread, the flares look amazing, to say the least. Add me to the list of people wanting a set if you decide to produce these =)
post #114 of 157 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 05:57 AM

I'd totally be interested in a set of those flares as well. Fantastic job you've done there!
post #115 of 157 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 AM

Garage
What type of blade did you use? My first thought is one of the laminate oriented ones with downward pointing teeth to minimize flaking?

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
post #116 of 157 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What type of blade did you use? My first thought is one of the laminate oriented ones with downward pointing teeth to minimize flaking?
Lotus fiberglass is not normal fiberglass. It's not sheets of cloth and it's not fully chopped strand either. It's like a MDF board or something.... very small fiber strands.

You can use any blade to cut it easily. It won't delaminate since it's not laminated to start with.
post #117 of 157 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 07:49 AM

Garage
Excellent job, I love the look you ended up with - I'd say these would be some of the best fender flares on the market if you decide to produce them. Well done!
post #118 of 157 (permalink) Old 11-02-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I'd like to try again but I'm mostly pleased with the shapes. I'm totally fine with the rears. I'd like to try making the shapes with a mdf board cut in the shape of the lip of the fender and then stretching some fabric over it and back to some point on the body.... It's really hard to be sympathetic to the round, inward curving shape of the stock lower font fender area especially when trying to mate it to a flat splitter.
post #119 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 03:05 PM

So I'm hoping that one of your New Years resolutions was to produce these. I keep coming back to your pictures, I need this in my life.
post #120 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

ha ha, thanks lordofmpower. I was going to make another set (different style) this winter but then I decided I needed to add a turbo. I will certainly, eventually, be making more and when I do, I'll make them using molds so that I can make more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in