SCCA Solo Street Classing Changes - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

SCCA Solo Street Classing Changes

The SAC (Street Advisory Committee) is discussing changes to the current Street car class definitions. During the implementation of the new "Street" rules, a 12 month window was defined for reclassing cars as necessary. The end of this window is fast approaching.

If you feel strongly about changes to Super Street classing or where the Elise/Exige/Evora are currently classed, write a letter to the SEB & SAC.

Submit letters here: SEBSCCA.com.

Some think the GT3s are fine, some think GT3s should not be "street" eligible, some think Elises should not be eligible. If you have an opinion and an argument to back up your opinion, I suggest you write a letter to the SAC.

Personally, I don't see much reason to keep SS separate. SS ran comparable times to AS this year.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Personally, I don't see much reason to keep SS separate. SS ran comparable times to AS this year.
Was the weather the same? There were some course condition issues, as usual.

No dog in this fight. I'm the unlucky guy who got the camber-deprived Elise and I'm finally sick of it. Instead of being hopeless in SSR, I might as well be hopeless in SSP and have more fun and buy front tires less often.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Was the weather the same? There were some course condition issues, as usual.

No dog in this fight. I'm the unlucky guy who got the camber-deprived Elise and I'm finally sick of it. Instead of being hopeless in SSR, I might as well be hopeless in SSP and have more fun and buy front tires less often.
My apologies, course condition would come into play. I was thinking of BS runs, which would have been comparable (weather wise) to SS runs. AS, however, did run in the 3rd heat. 3rd heat on Friday got dry first runs, wet second runs and drying 3rd runs. At least, that's how I recall the weather happening. If weather didn't hinder AS much, SS would have placed decently in the AS field. Not as cut and dry as I was originally thinking.

Why not run in SS? I plan to flip fronts every ~50 runs and expect to get about 100 competitive runs (maybe more) out of my RS3s. After BFG tire testing, I was at 85 runs on my rear RS3s. After a flip, they should be good for another 30 to 40 runs.

2006 Lotus Elise

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Why not run in SS? I plan to flip fronts every ~50 runs and expect to get about 100 competitive runs (maybe more) out of my RS3s. After BFG tire testing, I was at 85 runs on my rear RS3s. After a flip, they should be good for another 30 to 40 runs.
Because you have more front camber than I. Everybody has more front camber than I. My buddy gets 200 runs out of Hoosiers. I cord the fronts on the outside edge almost immediately. I'm in this for fun, so I am through with that. I will go SSP, get some real camber up front, reflash my ECU, and put on the rear tow-link set I bought.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 06:21 AM

I'm certainly of the opinion that "SS" should be the SS of two years ago - or the current SSR. IE, don't split the Corvettes off from the Elises/GT3s. I was dubious about the parity between GT3 and Elise, but John Ma, Jake and a couple of others proved that the Elise can keep up with the GT3.

I waited to write my letter til after Nats. I'm going to write one supporting putting it back to the way it was - Corvette, GT3 & Elise. I still think the Corvette is the car to have MOST of the time - I thought that before I bought my Elise. There will be days where the GT3 has a huge advantage, as will the Elise. That's ok. SS as-it-was was the reason I bought an Elise - big, healthy class. Moving the Corvettes to AS....eh. Did not agree, results suggest I was on the right track.

I don't care if they call it AS or SS; moving Elise/GT3 to AS could open SS up for....dunno, Exiges/GT3RS/R8/???, but I think that moving the Corvette out of AS into SS makes more sense, to make room for stuff in AS.

Either way, though, I was strongly of the opinion that the switch to street tires did not warrant a class change for the Corvette, and my opinion has not changed.

Iain
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:19 AM
Autoxer

Don't wait to write letters. SAC meets today and the SEB I believe in a week. Letters sent in October will likely be too late. If you do write a letter, please take the time to write something thought out and reference facts. The letters that say "please don't get rid of SS" really don't help any decision process much.

Yes I lurk here too...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannix View Post
I'm certainly of the opinion that "SS" should be the SS of two years ago - or the current SSR. IE, don't split the Corvettes off from the Elises/GT3s. I was dubious about the parity between GT3 and Elise, but John Ma, Jake and a couple of others proved that the Elise can keep up with the GT3.

I waited to write my letter til after Nats. I'm going to write one supporting putting it back to the way it was - Corvette, GT3 & Elise. I still think the Corvette is the car to have MOST of the time - I thought that before I bought my Elise. There will be days where the GT3 has a huge advantage, as will the Elise. That's ok. SS as-it-was was the reason I bought an Elise - big, healthy class. Moving the Corvettes to AS....eh. Did not agree, results suggest I was on the right track.

Either way, though, I was strongly of the opinion that the switch to street tires did not warrant a class change for the Corvette, and my opinion has not changed.

Iain

This is pretty much how I feel.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2014, 10:57 AM
Autoxer

Update on this: You do have a bit of time to write some more letters, the SEB didn't finish their discussions on this in time for the Oct Fastrack so you have a couple more weeks. Not writing a letter is the same as giving consent to the SAC/SEB that whatever they think is fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in