SCCA Solo Super Street Setup - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 154 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Definitely suggest you guys test the other tires. Not that the BFGs are not all that, but let me tell you I am glad I tested the Hoosier radials 2 weeks prior to nationals! Until you test you don't know.

As far as Glagola goes, he's really pedaling that car lately and it is STILL UNDER-PREPARED, which speaks to the potential AND Matt's skill behind the wheel.
Yes, I plan on testing the 195/235 magical toyo set-up vs BFGs. As far as RS3s or ZIIs, I don't have the budget to test everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpower View Post
Yes, I plan on testing the 195/235 magical toyo set-up vs BFGs. As far as RS3s or ZIIs, I don't have the budget to test everything.
Just a thought. You could test the RS-3s and and ZIIs and sell the 2 sets of tires you don't want near new for probably 75% each. I have a friend that runs STR and runs his RS-3s through about 40% of life and then sells for half price.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #23 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 AM

Wait.....I thought the RS-3's were not an option due to front size? Something to consider, and please tell me if I am all wet here: These tires will "fit", but they will rub through the fender liner. You would basically need to show up to Nationals with new fender liners since there is precident that this would be illegal. Am I off base here?

I would have tested the RS3's a long time ago...they are actually my choice over Toyo's in most situations.

post #24 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
Wait.....I thought the RS-3's were not an option due to front size? Something to consider, and please tell me if I am all wet here: These tires will "fit", but they will rub through the fender liner. You would basically need to show up to Nationals with new fender liners since there is precident that this would be illegal. Am I off base here?

I would have tested the RS3's a long time ago...they are actually my choice over Toyo's in most situations.
According to Hoosier's website the 225/45R15 is only 1/10" bigger diameter or 1/20" bigger radius vs the 205/45R16. We run the 15" hankook on our street car with much lower ride height and on 8.5" wide wheels. We've rubbed a couple holes in the top of the fender liner, but I would think with Stock ride height (though stock springs) and narrower wheels it should be manageable. You could put some aluminum tape on the inside of the fender liner for rub protection. Be careful at full-lock in grid/paddock and it seems a reasonable approach and no different than 195s.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #25 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-01-2013, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Just a thought. You could test the RS-3s and and ZIIs and sell the 2 sets of tires you don't want near new for probably 75% each. I have a friend that runs STR and runs his RS-3s through about 40% of life and then sells for half price.
Ah yes good minds think alike, I've considered that but I would have to buy 4 more front wheels and 2 more rears. Plus my region has canceled every TNT this year, so I dont know when I would be able to test that many sets in one day.

Washburn, I have 225/45/15 rivals one the front right now. Its hard to tell if the rubbing on the fenders is old from my 205/45/16 hoosiers, but the rivals dont rub any worse than the hoosiers.
post #26 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:18 AM

Both of your comments are regarding 15" front tires. We cannot run 15's. That's my point. No options for me right now.

I think you are speculating for if the plus/minus 1" rule takes affect. We shall see if that passes...I hope it does for myself (I will of course be all over the 15" RS3's), but pity everyone else who now has to do a lot of testing.
post #27 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Washburn;2514698]Both of your comments are regarding 15" front tires.QUOTE]

Yes, this is why I started this thread for preparing for the 2014 Super "Street" rules including the +/- 1" diameter change. If the rules don't go through (I highly doubt at this point they won't), back to Hoosiers and SSR for me.
post #28 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:22 PM

[quote=bcpower;2514778]
Quote:
Both of your comments are regarding 15" front tires.QUOTE]

Yes, this is why I started this thread for preparing for the 2014 Super "Street" rules including the +/- 1" diameter change. If the rules don't go through (I highly doubt at this point they won't), back to Hoosiers and SSR for me.
Ah. My initial thoughts are screw the contingency programs and run RS3's on the front, and R1R's on the back. Can't wait to test that!!!
post #29 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpower View Post
Ah yes good minds think alike, I've considered that but I would have to buy 4 more front wheels and 2 more rears. Plus my region has canceled every TNT this year, so I dont know when I would be able to test that many sets in one day.

Washburn, I have 225/45/15 rivals one the front right now. Its hard to tell if the rubbing on the fenders is old from my 205/45/16 hoosiers, but the rivals dont rub any worse than the hoosiers.
It took me reading this thread to realize who you are, bcpower. I'm Wayne.

So, my thoughts... (not necessarily worth much yet )
A whole lotta people bitch about the BFGs not working at Lincoln. The RS3s are all kinds of awesome, _once they warm up_. You will be required to have a co-driver for that to happen (and that was on a heavier S2000 - Jim Reyenga and I took 3rd and 5th in one the first year of STR, on the RS3s. The first run was a holy crap I hope I don't literally wreck throw-away) And yes, small cars love the R1Rs. And they work from cold, in the rain, etc.

As for 195 Toyo vs 225 RS3... I had no idea a 225 would work on the front of an Elise. Granted, I still have the 5.5" wheels, but the front currently sucks balls on the 205 R1R. Well, the feel does, anyway.
Rota slipstreams are cheap enough in 15x6.5 that they're what I'll likely have, and maybe a full set to test 225 RS3s as well? I'm doubtful that the extra slop will allow them to be better than the 195, but what do I know. I guess stock class isn't about making the car feel good so much as learning to cope with however the "fast" setup makes it drive.

Sorry I missed this last weekend. I was at AMP learning the track for the November Chump race.

edit: Oh - Ohlins are in-route. And I'll have a BWR bar by the time next season rolls around.
post #30 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 PM

I ran both R1R's and RS3's on an STC Civic for 4 years. I can tell my impressions:
RS3 is more sharp. Better lateral response, and GRIP. Less longitudinal grip, however. Toyo's, conversly, are a little sloppier feeling. (Gets better with shaving of course, but we do not want to shave these sizes.) Much better off the line - we gave up 6 tenths at a Pro Solo launching RS3's versus Toyo's.

That's why I am thinking I want to front lateral grip and sharpness of the Kooks on the front, and the launch and corner exit grip of the Toyo's on the back. In 245's, they have plenty of lateral grip, but will feel a little loose at time.

Will have to wait until Spring...it's almost Winter here!!!
post #31 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:22 AM

Don't forget you have to brake. The Elise has super crappy ABS. The R1R might help avoid lockup of the front wheels on retarded courses like this years East course.
post #32 of 154 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
It took me reading this thread to realize who you are, bcpower. I'm Wayne.

Sorry I missed this last weekend. I was at AMP learning the track for the November Chump
Sup Wayne, you missed a pretty good course last weekend. You pretty much agree with everything I thought. I'm about tired of talking about tires, I'm ready to get out there and do some testing.
post #33 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 11:26 AM

I ran 225s on my Elise on 16s on the street, and they absolutely tore up the wheel liners.

I'm thinking about getting back into autoX, so this is an interesting conversation. Do I want to run the ultraheavy stock 15s on the front and lightweight LSS 17 rears? Or do I just want to run the stock wheels (16-17) with R1Rs all the way around? I think that's probably the answer. I have the non LSS rims just collecting dust, but I don't really want to be bothered with changing tires a lot. I suppose I could bring the 15 inch fronts with either the unicorn tires or RS3 in the passenger seat on my car, and change them at the event. Lots to consider. My car is equipped with a factory trackpack and LSS, so the car fairly cries out to be autoXed. hmmmm

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #34 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Garage
Hey Surfer, what class in AutoX are you going to go in? If you are doing SS class, then I would go with a 15 front (if you have a lighter 15) and 17 rear (a friend I know is doing this). But if you are going to go with stock then Toyo R1Rs are a great tire, sadly they will no longer be legal in the street tire class after this year. SCCA is changing the treadwear number to 200+.

Hope that helps with the decision making.

Now I will say that in SS, 205s in the front works quite well still, and the Dunlop ZII is about the only company that I can think of right now that will give you a tire you will want to run in the 16 wheel/tire size.

Hope that helps.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #35 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Hey Surfer, what class in AutoX are you going to go in? If you are doing SS class, then I would go with a 15 front (if you have a lighter 15) and 17 rear (a friend I know is doing this). But if you are going to go with stock then Toyo R1Rs are a great tire, sadly they will no longer be legal in the street tire class after this year. SCCA is changing the treadwear number to 200+.

Hope that helps with the decision making.

Now I will say that in SS, 205s in the front works quite well still, and the Dunlop ZII is about the only company that I can think of right now that will give you a tire you will want to run in the 16 wheel/tire size.

Hope that helps.

You can use the R1Rs through 2014.
15x6.5" wheels and 195/50 tahrs, ftw. (I hope).
post #36 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
You can use the R1Rs through 2014.
15x6.5" wheels and 195/50 tahrs, ftw. (I hope).
This is so true...just gets expensive if you buy tires that are only good for one season and don't use them all up. That is the only thing I am getting at.

But if you know you will get enough runs in this coming season and plan on using those tires up, then go for it. If not...then I would definately just stick with a 200+ treadwear tire and use it for this season and the following season if not longer. I am a firm believer of spending money once, not twice.

post #37 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:21 AM
BANNED

Quote:
This is so true...just gets expensive if you buy tires that are only good for one season and don't use them all up.
If your tires last a whole season, you're not driving fast enough! Or not going to enough event, therefore not driving enough...
post #38 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by <@@> View Post
If your tires last a whole season, you're not driving fast enough! Or not going to enough event, therefore not driving enough...
Or if your tires wear in one season then you are probably over driving the tires to much and need a better alignemnt done as your wear sounds a little excessive. :P

And in my case, it is true I have not attended as many events in a year as others...however I have friends who attend every event every month and daily drive their cars, who tires have lasted two seasons and going on their third.

Enjoy that bill for new tires every year.

post #39 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Enjoy that bill for new tires every year.
Whatever it takes to win!
post #40 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Whatever it takes to win!
You spend money on tires, and I will work on seat time.

I don't have a budget large enough to afford the "expensive" habits, so I will have to make up for it in ability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in