SCCA Solo Super Street Setup - Page 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Or if your tires wear in one season then you are probably over driving the tires to much and need a better alignemnt done as your wear sounds a little excessive. :P

And in my case, it is true I have not attended as many events in a year as others...however I have friends who attend every event every month and daily drive their cars, who tires have lasted two seasons and going on their third.

Enjoy that bill for new tires every year.
And those friends are not winning national events.
That's the goal for 2014 while we can still use the cheaty 195 toyos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
Ironically those friends are the top driver's in our class, and the one friend who also drives a 2005 Lotus Elise running 205s for the front in Toyos runs top times in our club of 50+ people.

Either way, not a strutting competition...long story short, I made my suggestion inregards to tires and every person/driver is very different. So is every track/surface that we each drive on.

If you struggle to believe that a person can take top PAX and Top Raw for a two day weekend event on the same set of tires they have been running 2+ yrs in a row, hey...who am I to complain if you aren't able to drive your tires properly. In my case, I have ran the same Dunlop Star Specs 2 years in a row (only did a total of 5 events these past two years) and I have done fairly well considering how green I am as an AutoX driver.

But to the OP, pick the tires you choose, and if you are made of money or have money to spare then the Toyo R1Rs are a great tire to go with for a street tire class. If you are tight on a budget like myself, then I would go with the Z2s or the Rivals by BFGoodrich.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #43 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I'm debating the front tires, I might just make it easy on myself and go with the 205s in 16. I expect nothing more than a year out of tires for this car anyway, so it's definitely Toyos for me in 2014. I plan to drive them on the street too. No tire changing for me, F that crap.

I doubt I'd do any national events, but the NJ Tour might work. If I'm competitive I might make the trip to Lincoln again, but I doubt it. It's 20 hours each way and costs as much as two track races for me, races in which I'll probably get 8 total hours of seat time in wheel to wheel. And I already won a finale in Pro Solo at Lincoln so I don't have anything to prove out there. If I come into a bunch of money and time off, who knows...

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car

post #44 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post

If you struggle to believe that a person can take top PAX and Top Raw for a two day weekend event on the same set of tires they have been running 2+ yrs in a row, hey...who am I to complain if you aren't able to drive your tires properly.

You should pay more attention to the qualification I made. National events are very different animals than 50 person locals.
post #45 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM

In my opinion, for 2014, there is no other combo than a 195 toyo on a 15" rim in front and the 235 toyo on the 17" rear rim. Especially at Lincoln. Don't forget .25" wheel spacers.
post #46 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
In my opinion, for 2014, there is no other combo than a 195 toyo on a 15" rim in front and the 235 toyo on the 17" rear rim. Especially at Lincoln. Don't forget .25" wheel spacers.
I kinda hope you're right, but I am going to try the RS3 option on front. I want more up front, and I know the 225 RS3's very well. I am also not convinced about the 235 vs 245 rear options. I know all the downsides...still think I will gain more upside benefits. We will see...it's on jack stands in the garage until the snow melts now!
post #47 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 05:33 AM

Please report back, Patrick!

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #48 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:40 AM

A 225 on a 6.5" wheel? uh....
post #49 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Did 225's on a 6" wheel for years back in the DS days. No worries!! LOL That's why we test.
post #50 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
A 225 on a 6.5" wheel? uh....

That is what I have with my BFGs. BFG is out of the 205s for the winter, so I was forced to get 225s. I was afraid the front would be numb and the tires would be severely pinched. The sidewalls look pretty square, actually the fronts look less pinched than the 245/40/17 on the 7.5" wide rears. The front turns in good and is not mushy like I was expecting. I can't say if it is better or worse than other tires/combinations, but it is not horrible.

I can't wait until next season, so I can test the BFGs against the toyos. I'm definately not going to nationals on BFGs after seeing this years results and hearing feedback from people who were there.
post #51 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 11:12 AM

If you're planning on running the Dixie Champ Tour, you should plan on having Toyos for that event. There's a good chance it will rain or be cold and you want the Toyo for that.
post #52 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
Did 225's on a 6" wheel for years back in the DS days. No worries!! LOL That's why we test.
Them were r-comps though, right? I'm guessing streets are still way off that. </remembers the goofy 275s shoved onto ES MR2s>
post #53 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're planning on running the Dixie Champ Tour, you should plan on having Toyos for that event. There's a good chance it will rain or be cold and you want the Toyo for that.
Yep, plan on it.
post #54 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Them were r-comps though, right? I'm guessing streets are still way off that. </remembers the goofy 275s shoved onto ES MR2s>
Heh...BFG R1's. I will put some modern UHP tires against R1's any day.
post #55 of 154 (permalink) Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
Heh...BFG R1's. I will put some modern UHP tires against R1's any day.
For lap times, no doubt. I was thinking sidewall stiffness. Surely A6s and 710s are still a damn sight stiffer? (I haven't been on 710s for about 3 years now, so not sure anymore.) I will say they had a hell of a time getting the bead to seat when they were putting the 205s on my 5.5" front wheel. So, maybe they've almost caught up.
post #56 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM

BCPower - how did you decide on the Konig Feather? It looks like Konig offers several variants in 15x6.5.

They'll all need a spacer to be legal, but maybe less than 8mm?

Wheels are a pain for this thing.

Iain
post #57 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannix View Post
BCPower - how did you decide on the Konig Feather? It looks like Konig offers several variants in 15x6.5.

They'll all need a spacer to be legal, but maybe less than 8mm?

Wheels are a pain for this thing.

Iain
I tried to pick something that somewhat looked like the rear wheels. I have a set of LSS rears and a set of base model rears. I have painted them all gun-metal grey so at least you don't notice that they are different wheels right away.

I first made a set of .25" or 6.4 mm spacers, it cleared but it was very close to the caliper, so I made a set of .3125" or 8 mm spacers for the extra 1/16" of clearance.

Wheels aren't what is aggravating me anymore its the lack of competition. I pulled out of SS at the Dixie tour and ran STC just to have someone to compete against. I wasn't comfortable with the STC car either, I should have just run my car on street tires in SSR. I think I could have placed mid pack and if I nailed it, it was possible to trophy.
post #58 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:51 AM

Yeah, I suspect SS is going to be lonely. I think, with time, people will realize that the current crop of street tires is really pretty good.

I'm just kinda "over" trailering to local events. Big events, the trailer and circus needs to come out, but at this point, if there's a one-day local, I'm not willing to burn 2+ hours Saturday to load everything up. 30min to chuck junk in the car SatPM? Sure.

Oh well. With time, I think it'll be good, although the Z06 going to AS does not help one bit.

I bought these last night:

Nippon Racing Wheels Gunmetal Type C 15 inch Rims 4x100 | eBay

SUPER varying reviews across the internet, but nothing concrete in the "bad" category. A lot of people speculating that they suck because they're not Mugen or whatever, a handful of people who have them and are pleased, shrug, dice are rolled. Blatant knockoff of the SSR in gunmetal, hopefully, they're shaped the same - my SSRs fit just fine, and without caps, I'm sure they'll look OK.

I bought four, only need two (although maybe full tread R1Rs for rains?), so I might have a pair for sale, if they fit/work/are round/hold air.

Looks like Dixie went ok, aside from weather/one day event for you, if I'm guessing right - .247 off 1st?

Iain
post #59 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

I saw those wheels and almost got them and then try to find real SSRs for the rear. As long as they fit I think they will hold up.

Yeah I can't complain about being that close to first, just disappointed in my driving. I blame not being used to the car. I only had 5 or 6 runs in it period before dixie or any fwd for that matter. I had to stand on my first run because I made mistakes on runs 2 and 3 and in that car it kills your momentum.
post #60 of 154 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:17 AM

I'll let you know when they get here. I have a set of SSRs already, so in theory, I'll have a "matching" set.

Of course, my ZIIs are on my SSRs and R1Rs are on my LSS wheels. Super. Going to reuse my 235/40-17 R1Rs, get a set of shaved 195/50-15s for the small wheels.

Ought to be interesting.....

Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in