SCCA Solo Super Street Setup - Page 6 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannix View Post
Heading to Farmington this weekend, maybe get some data on 225 vs 195 fronts.
Awesome. See you there. I'll be herding novices this weekend - but please come up and say "hi". I'm just beginning the process of getting my car sorted and would like the opportunity to chat setup.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Awesome. See you there. I'll be herding novices this weekend - but please come up and say "hi". I'm just beginning the process of getting my car sorted and would like the opportunity to chat setup.
Willdo! Planning on driving out Friday night, finding a place to park the camper, etc etc etc.

Looking forward to it, learned stuff at the Match Tour, was kinda itching to find something near-enough, hey, Farmington, and BOTH days.

done.

Iain
post #103 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 06:46 PM

RS3v2 feedback:

Fitment: 225/45/15s worked quite well on the front. The minor amount of tread block roll over could actually help the tires last longer compared to narrower tires that fit better on the 6.5" wide wheels. I didn't get any rubbing all weekend.

Temperature & pressure: I settled at 24psi front and 26psi rear. In the NM heat, the first run was quite good. A few of us monitored RS3v2 tire temps through the weekend and found them to work better when we would spray them between runs and keep the temp around 115 F before the next run. This kept them from overheating by the end of the run in high-90 Deg weather.

Grip: ... was good. The breakaway is very predictable and grip doesn't fall off quickly as the limits are surpassed.

It was great meeting Iain - thanks again for making the drive down to NM. You may just see me at Lincoln in September with my Lotus.

Here are my fast videos from this weekend:

Fast Saturday -
2014 RGRSCCA - Points7 - 53SS - JakeD - YouTube

Fast Sunday -
2014 RGRSCCA - Points8 - 53SS - JakeD - YouTube

2006 Lotus Elise

Last edited by jdawson; 06-30-2014 at 11:38 AM.

post #104 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 11:31 AM

SUCH a fun event - great to meet you, Jake!

I agree on the 225s; my 195s, with about 100 runs on them now, the shoulder is badly worn - the "tread" rubber is worn back quite a bit.

I'm not convinced they're slower; the car does not FEEL like the fronts are wasted, but...yeah, hmm, dunno.

Thanks for posting videos - I'll get mine up sometime. Got home @ midnight, kinda blown out from the weekend.

Ann signed up for SS @ Nats this morning - Lincoln will be fun! Do it!

edit re: pressures - 24/26 as well. I did a run the previous weekend at 22/24, that was too low, particularly in the front. More than that might FEEL a little better, but IMHO, not as fast. 24/26 is good for these.

Semi-related, I like 25/26 on the R1R. I'd settled on 24/26 by feel on those, then pyrometered them, the pyrometer likes 25 better in the front.

Iain

Last edited by mannix; 06-30-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #105 of 154 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:04 PM

No great victories to report. Just 9 fun runs driving and 8 riding in another SSR Elise, both on Hoosiers. I got the extra run for a rerun, but nobody ever expained why. I didn't ask for one and none of my times looked goofy on the finish box.

Weather suprisingly turned out OK. Too humid for me, but NO RAIN, which has become a novelty hereabouts lately. For a variety of reasons, the first time I've been on Hoosiers in my car this season.

Posted the fastest time in Stock or Street, but in our Council's current structure, there is no trophy for that.

This was in Eau Claire Wisconsin. Party in Rice Lake afterwards. Got to bed at J J Cale's favorite time. Worth it.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #106 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Jdawson, nice videos your looking fast and I'm jealous of that parking lot. The ones we have access to here in ATL are small and bumpy.

Iain, I signed up for nats this morning. See you guys there.
post #107 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 08:05 AM

Excellent!

The Farmington site is awesome. Smooth asphalt, reasonable grip, good size - and SUCH a rad bunch of people. I've not got my videos done yet; Jake kinda smoked me this weekend, dammit, but I think I found where (lightpole turnarounds on Sunday).

I'm pretty sure Farmington is far away from almost everyone, but it is worth the drive.

Iain
post #108 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 07:55 AM

Yeah, Farmington is a pretty awesome site. Unfortunately it isn't near any major metropolitan areas.

Thanks for the driving comments. This car is a blast to drive. I really enjoy the consistency and usefulness of lift-rotation.

SS is shaping up to be a decent class at Nats. I've started looking for the remaining parts to make my car class legal - revised spring perches, LSS springs and an uncut diffuser with compatible exhaust.

Iain, could you measure the perch-to-perch distances on your LSS shock/spring assemblies and post the numbers? I'd like to verify that my Penske spring perch distances are legal.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #109 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 08:01 PM

Garage
Dawson, i believe the spring diameters on the penskes will make you ssp legal but not ss legal...unless you know something i don't, as i would like to be in ss until my turbo build is done.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #110 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 06:48 AM

If my dampers were the 7500s that BWR sells, I would agree. However, my dampers aren't an off-the-shelf Penske. They're 8100s that have been modified to work with the stock 1.875" ID springs. Fred stated that Penske made a batch of these about 5 years ago for auto-xers... for a substantial price.

Most of the perch adjustment threads have been removed from the shock body so the stock springs wouldn't score the damper body. I'm using the base suspension springs currently. The inner lip on the adjustable perch has also been removed for spring compatibility. The length, damper travel, bump stop engagement and number of adjustments are legal for SS. The only thing that is not compliant is the location of the stationary perch on the front assemblies. I need to make a set of new perches similar to the ones for the Ohlins LOV shocks offered by BWR.

Here's an image of the front damper assembly, less the stationary spring perch:

2006 Lotus Elise
post #111 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 AM

I'll get mine measured today, Jake.

Iain
post #112 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
I'll get mine measured today, Jake.
Awesome. Thanks, Iain.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #113 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 07:49 AM

Garage
Wow, that was a nice find! Where did you pick thise up from?

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #114 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantmcm View Post
Wow, that was a nice find! Where did you pick thise up from?
Fred (BWR) offered them to me. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to snag some rare dampers.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #115 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Iain, could you measure the perch-to-perch distances on your LSS shock/spring assemblies and post the numbers? I'd like to verify that my Penske spring perch distances are legal.
Perch to perch? That doesn't matter, once the ride height is set the distance between perches should be the same. I think you mean Mounting point to perch. If you need that measurement I can give that to you. Also if you need a set of perches made for your shocks, I just might know the guy who makes them for BWR, wink wink. PM me.
post #116 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 12:52 PM

OK, here's all the measurements:

Front:

C-C mounting holes = 13 7/8"
center of top bolt to spring perch (where the spring rests) - 115mm
Center of bottom bolt to spring perch - 37.5mm
Spring overall length on shock - 211mm

Rear:

16 7/16"
138mm
49mm
227mm

When setting up my Ohlins, I had the best luck taking the distance from bolt to perch on both ends and replicating THAT - it takes variances in shock length out of the question.

That got the ride height correct. On a shorter shock, it changes preload (more), but ride height is right - measured from hub to fender before and after, got same number.

Hope that helps, Jake! I somehow wound up with WAY too much preload one time, made the car absolutely horrendous.

Iain
post #117 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Jake - where do you mount those canisters? Your hoses are WAY (like a foot plus) shorter than mine.

Iain
post #118 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Jake - where do you mount those canisters? Your hoses are WAY (like a foot plus) shorter than mine.
I had the same question when I got them. I think they were originally zip tied or hose clamped to the inner fender well. This seemed like a poor solution, so I built some canister mounts, disassembled the shocks and installed 10" long -4AN brake hoses w/ new fittings.

Cheap reservoir mounts

I also spent some time plotting some measurements I took while installing my Penskes. If someone can gleam some usefulness from the data, great. Otherwise, it just shows how much the wheels camber in as the suspension compresses. Rear data will come at some point in the future - need to take the measurements.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #119 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
I also spent some time plotting some measurements I took while installing my Penskes. If someone can gleam some usefulness from the data, great. Otherwise, it just shows how much the wheels camber in as the suspension compresses. Rear data will come at some point in the future - need to take the measurements.

Good to know if you are planning on designing/changing your suspension geometry/dynamics. Not much use if you're not.
post #120 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 AM

Interesting, thanks, Jake! My hoses are...ehhh, probably 18" rear, 12" front. My canisters are clamped to the lca, on the tube that braces the big end of the arm.

What's involved with replacing the hoses? Thinking air bubbles; you must have had to depressurize? I have zero experience with remote res shocks as far as disassembling them.

Thanks for the graph - that's pretty interesting, actually, it answers a valid/important question.

Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in