SCCA Solo Super Street Setup - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-07-2014, 06:54 AM

10" hoses worked great for mounting to the underside of the chassis rails. I think my rears are 18". They're hose clamped to the forward leg of the lower control arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannix View Post
What's involved with replacing the hoses? Thinking air bubbles; you must have had to depressurize? I have zero experience with remote res shocks as far as disassembling them.
Correct, if you just swap hoses, you'll get air trapped in the oil chamber - bad situation. You're pretty much in for a rebuild if you break the oil chamber seal. Shocks are not very tough to rebuild. Just requires some patience and general understanding of how to properly bleed the shock. It doesn't hurt that my roommate use to work for AST/HVT. It was actually a good thing I took them apart, as we found bent and corroded blow-off shims in the compression canisters. Apparently Penske only serviced the bodies. Thankfully I have 8 spare 8100 canisters laying around from previous projects.

Corroded/bent on right, spare on left:

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 08:39 PM

Registered for Nats. Found a co-driver as well. That makes 7 registered.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #123 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 08:46 AM

2 more will be soon.....Chris Delay and myself will get registered soon.

post #124 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Nice, the more the better.
post #125 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 06:06 PM

Anyone driving their Elise out to Nats ? And if yes, how far away are you ?

Thanks
John
post #126 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 08:28 PM

I might drive mine to the Midwest Divisional @ Lincoln in a few weeks - 500 miles each way.

I'd love to for Nats, but getting all the Stuff there gets complicated - no tire trailer. Doable with a trailer, though - provided the car does not break, sure, I'd do it.

I bring a lot of spares to far away events, though - I don't think I could pull it off without a "tire trailer," even though I'd not have any _tires_ on it.

I do drive it to local events, but they're either 50 or 100 miles away.

Iain
post #127 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

An elise drove down from Indiana to south Georgia for the dixie champ tour this year. 11 hour drive. They had a suv follow them with their tires and tools I believe.
post #128 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
I might drive mine to the Midwest Divisional @ Lincoln in a few weeks - 500 miles each way.

I'd love to for Nats, but getting all the Stuff there gets complicated - no tire trailer. Doable with a trailer, though - provided the car does not break, sure, I'd do it.

I bring a lot of spares to far away events, though - I don't think I could pull it off without a "tire trailer," even though I'd not have any _tires_ on it.

I do drive it to local events, but they're either 50 or 100 miles away.

Iain
In 2011, I drove my STR S2000 to Nebraska from Atlanta on the tires I raced on and was .051 out of first. All you really need is some clothes. If you race on toyos that have about 5/32 you'll have a tire that will be fine for competition in dry and wet. Sure, some bald ones for dry and some full tread ones for wet is optimal but... it could be done.
post #129 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 AM

It's very likely I will be driving out in the Lotus to compete in SSR.

I can't decide what i want to do for my "street" tires. Do I put hankooks on for a last minute class change to SS, or full tread Toyo's as a potential rain tire solution and could still change to SS.. Or conti's as only a rain tire solution...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpower View Post
An elise drove down from Indiana to south Georgia for the dixie champ tour this year. 11 hour drive. They had a suv follow them with their tires and tools I believe.
This was me! We needed 2 vehicles because it was Brandon and Krystal. Otherwise it would have been me and the tire trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
In 2011, I drove my STR S2000 to Nebraska from Atlanta on the tires I raced on and was .051 out of first. All you really need is some clothes. If you race on toyos that have about 5/32 you'll have a tire that will be fine for competition in dry and wet. Sure, some bald ones for dry and some full tread ones for wet is optimal but... it could be done.
In 2010, I drove my Evo also on the dunlops that it raced on. Pallotta took home the championship.
post #130 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 06:44 AM

Wow, Nick, you have quite the conundrum there. The only way to be safe is to have a set of full tread Toyos, a low tread set, and the r-comps. Has something changed with Hankooks at Lincoln? Lincoln loves Toyos like I've never seen. I don't think it has the same affinity with Hankooks.
post #131 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 07:18 AM

Were I making it this year, I'd be driving it out, from Atlanta. (on Toyos)

In 2010, the S2000 that I co-drove in STR was driven on the tires we raced on, from California. We were 2nd and 5th, and the 1st finishing S2000, out of 50 or so entries.

Though, I do have to say, now that I have driven cars to nats, towed cars to nats, and flown to nats... I vastly prefer flying in and driving something already there. But, never gone in my own car before and my next trip will be me and myself in my little car

Last edited by turblow; 07-22-2014 at 09:56 AM.
post #132 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 08:59 AM

I'm driving my Elise down from Central Wisconsin. About 750 miles each way. I have someone else bring all my stuff.

And Gary, we did extensive testing in the Civic, and RS3's were usually faster than R1R's at Lincoln. We ran Toyo's for the contingency.
post #133 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Wow, Nick, you have quite the conundrum there. The only way to be safe is to have a set of full tread Toyos, a low tread set, and the r-comps. Has something changed with Hankooks at Lincoln? Lincoln loves Toyos like I've never seen. I don't think it has the same affinity with Hankooks.
So, full tread Toyo's vs. Conti's?

Last edited by Locked; 08-04-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #134 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked View Post
The likely hood of me running SS instead of SSR is very slim to none. So, full tread Toyo's vs. Conti's?
yes.
post #135 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
When warmed up, the RS3s are pretty damn good there. That said, a miata on Toyos was the one car that beat Jim. I haven't done back to back though.
post #136 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 AM

Yeah, I'd drive to/from on my comp tires, more just SP habits of bringing spare EVERYTHINGS.

Fewer spares now than in SP (used to bring a spare transmission....), but making it fit in the lotus would be a trick.

Plus, I live in my trailer @ Nats, so yeah, bringing all of it.

If I go to the MidDiv, though, I'll just drive the car.

I've never tried the ContiDW, but I do LOVE the full tread Toyos in RAIN. They're almost dirt-stocker good.

Iain
post #137 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turblow View Post
yes.
Quote:
Fewer spares now than in SP (used to bring a spare transmission....), but making it fit in the lotus would be a trick.

I've never tried the ContiDW, but I do LOVE the full tread Toyos in RAIN. They're almost dirt-stocker good.

Iain
Toyo's it will be.. (since I can't do HWETS, without trailering).

I have a full trans(open diff) I plan to take(assuming the lotus goes)... So if any of us need it, and a spare hub.
post #138 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Splendid, thanks!

I'll have spare shifter cables, shocks/springs, rolls upon rolls of duct tape (ok, we all have that), derrr belts & some other associated Stuff. I guess it is not REALLY that much. hrmph.

Still bringing the trailer. I like getting up at 6:30 and walking the course by 6:40 while everyone else is stuffing their face with "continental breakfasts."

Iain
post #139 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Lots of good replies, thanks ! I am on the fence about coming this year, but was thinking one option was just to put a front bar and tires on the elise and drive it out.

John
post #140 of 154 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwiseman View Post
Lots of good replies, thanks ! I am on the fence about coming this year, but was thinking one option was just to put a front bar and tires on the elise and drive it out.

John

Come out! It'll be fun. More Elises this year than in a long time.

Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in