The Solo Setup Thread for the Elise in SCCA - Page 13 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #241 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannix View Post
If my fuzzy memory serves me correctly, the Sport Elise did not come with a LSD - when I was shopping for mine, I came across a Sport; I knew it was not eligible for Stock, but was curious as to why - was surprised to find that it was NOT available with LSD.

Interesting.

Iain
Lotus was thinking big-track and they believe that this car will not go around a big track any faster with LSD.

If they set out to design a car for American autocrossing they may have done several things differently.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
Lotus was thinking big-track and they believe that this car will not go around a big track any faster with LSD.

If they set out to design a car for American autocrossing they may have done several things differently.
I'd buy that. The ONLY time I ever notice the LSD in mine is in TIGHT 1st gear stuff.

Bigger radii stuff at autocrosses - IE, slowest corners on a road course - I guess it MIGHT be improving balance some by letting me get power to the outside rear wheel, but I can't _feel_ it, like I could the Quaife in my VWs or LSD/welded in my BMW.

Glad I have it, I certainly don't think it contributes to low speed push, and where it DOES do something, I'll take it.

Iain
post #243 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phranquelynn View Post
Thanks Lancer and everyone else. I did end up getting 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 R1Rs. So now I have a follow up question. Tire pressures?
Same question.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White.
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C
http://www.mnautox.com

post #244 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 AM

IIRC, I ran 26/28 on my 205/40-16 & 235/40-17 R1R. Not convinced it is optimum, but it was not bad.

On my 15/17 setup, I'm at 26/29. Again, not convinced it is optimum, but it is certainly in the ballpark for my car. Rollover looks fine - could even go lower - feel is good, shrug, yeah.

Next event, I'm going to try 25/27, see what it does. We started at 26/28, car was loose, so we let them grow. Not AWFUL loose, but looser than we wanted. Letting them grow to 29 seemed to help, FWIW.

I'm still at the beginning of figuring it out, though, so who knows.

Iain
post #245 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJC35C7aHSY

last event/first on 15/17 combo.
post #246 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 AM
Elise Guru

I tend to run as low as 23/25 or 23/24 on 15/17 or 16/17 setups.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #247 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 AM

Ran last weekend on the R1R's, (15/17) Stock shocks and stock sway bar.

I started my first run at 27/29 and experienced crazy over steer. I started dropping pressures and the car felt much better. I ended up at 26/26 and the car felt great.

It was a pretty cool day (high 40's to mid 50's) so I wondered if it was just the cold tires on the first run however we did an afternoon session on cold tires again and the 26/26 felt great out of the gate.

The lower pressures certainly felt better however I have tried even lower pressures (20/22) than normal which is 25/27 (Hoosier A6's) in my SSP car on a similar cold day which also felt amazing only to see the times over a second slower on a sub 40 second course.
post #248 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 03:34 AM

Its like there is an echo, at least I'm not the only one who has crazy oversteer on the r1rs. Dropping the rear pressures helped a lot and less front rebound to allow weight to transfer to the rear on corner entry. 26/26 felt good for me also, again maybe not ideal but not horrible.
post #249 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpower View Post
Its like there is an echo, at least I'm not the only one who has crazy oversteer on the r1rs. Dropping the rear pressures helped a lot and less front rebound to allow weight to transfer to the rear on corner entry. 26/26 felt good for me also, again maybe not ideal but not horrible.
It's not the R1R's.....it's the sway bar. Will happen on any tire. Need mo' bigger bar.
post #250 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpower View Post
I thought the balance was perfect in your car when I drove it.
post #251 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:17 PM

Nah my hoosiers, AO48s, and rivals feel really good. The R1R was the only tire that didn't feel great right out of the box that I've tried.
post #252 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I thought the balance was perfect in your car when I drove it.
That was after I figured it out. It was uncontrollable loose.
post #253 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 06:44 PM

R1R pressures...I have been working them down. The magic spot for my car (LSS) and our surface (sealed asphalt) was 18/23. I have all shims removed for the front and haven't messed with the rear. Runing 205/245 combo. I have a BOE half link to install then will set the rear. up.

The pressures seems crazy low but roll over is good. We are getting the tire worn to the shoulder. I tried it at 26/28 and felt like the car moved around a little too much and had more understeer than I wanted.

I am not super fast...I run in the top 1/3rd in my region...at least in the first two events we have had the car.
post #254 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Panda View Post
R1R pressures...I have been working them down. The magic spot for my car (LSS) and our surface (sealed asphalt) was 18/23. I have all shims removed for the front and haven't messed with the rear. Runing 205/245 combo. I have a BOE half link to install then will set the rear. up.

The pressures seems crazy low but roll over is good. We are getting the tire worn to the shoulder. I tried it at 26/28 and felt like the car moved around a little too much and had more understeer than I wanted.

I am not super fast...I run in the top 1/3rd in my region...at least in the first two events we have had the car.
Totally different tires as I run 275 Hoosiers but make sure you back up the buttometer with the clock. I have tried going that low with the Hoosiers and was amazed how good the car felt only to come in and find I was a second slower on a 40 second course.
post #255 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
Totally different tires as I run 275 Hoosiers but make sure you back up the buttometer with the clock. I have tried going that low with the Hoosiers and was amazed how good the car felt only to come in and find I was a second slower on a 40 second course.

I should have been more explicit. I have data on air pressure and times. I don't have temp (surface, air or tire) data. Our surface has been the same. Course is a 55 second course (the parking lot in Wilmington, Oh...not the pad).

The car goes faster for both me and my wife with the lower pressures.

The bigger issue clouding my search for a setup is that we are new to the car and returning to autox after 15 and 20 year hiatuses. Are we learning the car and dusting off skills or setting the car up better or a combination of all of the that?

My guess is a combination. I don't plan to mess with air this weekend beyond checking for tire usage.
post #256 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
This happened at our first race with the Elise. I was trying to find the proper entry speed. Too slow and the car would understeer. Too fast and the car would understeer. I was going in fast. There was a bump that probably screwed up my braking, throwing me out. When we added the larger front bar we could "lean" on the car more. Stiffening up the front end allowed us to be more aggressive with the Elise.

Here is another attempt at the same corner. In my opinion, at that time, I felt it was good to be wide at that point for proper entry into the next corner.

Here is a picture of me experiencing snap oversteer, closer to a cone. Flat out downhill section. I probably wasn't quite as smooth entering this section as I should have?

Is that Ken Montonishi working course?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in