The Solo Setup Thread for the Elise in SCCA - Page 5 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK20
I know most of you are at Nationals now but I want a clarification of the rules for Stock. Specifically 13.8. second paragraph.
I just purchased a Track Pack car and have the ability to lower the vehicle with the stock adjustments on the shocks.
A fellow competitior who runs a Corvette thought that it was legal...he says the Corvette guys lower thier cars....and I'm assuming the Porssche GT3 comes with adujstable ride height?
Any help or clarification would be appreciated.
Bump!

In the Lotus service manual, they refer to the Track Pack suspension as the "supersport suspension". For this suspension they publish a ride height of 120mm. They go on to suggest for track use the 120mm ride height.
The Sport pack has it's ride height stated at 130mm.

With my Track Pack perches adjusted to the factory stated 104mm from perch to center of top mounting nut, my ride height is 132mm.

What is the measured ride height of some of your sport pack suspensions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 02:36 PM

John,
Lower the front as far as you can go, and set the rear 5mm higher.
Then tell us what the ride heights & corner weights are.

Robert Puertas
post #83 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:46 PM

What size Hoosiers was Braun running winning SS?

Mako, Team Blew, SCCA SM WRX>Elise>CS NB Miata>SS Z-06

post #84 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 02:12 AM

Matthew was using the standard setup-205 45 16 front, 245 40 17 rear.

Jer
2006 Elise
2014 RAM 3500 DIESEL 4 X 4
2013 Jeep wrangler
1996 Miata race car
post #85 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:54 PM

Are we going to have any extra ABS problems running 235/40/17 Falken 615's in back ... with 205/45/16's in front? This is for our local SK1 class ... indexed stock classes with street tires.

post #86 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:55 PM

Do we know anything else about Matthew's set-up. :-) Brake pads, rotors, dampers ...

post #87 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-05-2006, 09:56 PM

Any advice on optimal octane levels. Anything about 96 octane was a waste on our Suby's.

post #88 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 06:50 AM

Octane is useless without a remapped ecu.

Reto's car has Ohlins, but if you think Matt couldn't have been the fastest Elise in SS with a base car then you haven't been doing this very long. He's that good, and Pat coned his fast run on the West course.

ABS problems? Yes, at some point you will have Ice Mode. Probably when trail braking into a right hand turn. The right front corner is light, and that's when it's most likely to come off the ground. The trak pack's ability to corner weight might help here.

Robert Puertas
post #89 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 09:52 AM

Hard to believe that the English would screw with a performance feature that Toyota has in their ECU's. As I've said before, even my Toyota Previa's manual states that you will get better performance with higher octane levels. And it is in fact very noticeable going from 87 to 91 octane with it's Super Charged engine. Perhaps you aren't familiar with advanced japanese electronics. We Suby drivers are. (You might have heard of our electronically controlled Center Difs.) Our Suby ECU's are continuously trying to advance timing, held in check by the knock sensor. Higher octane, less knock, advanced timing, easily confirmed with our Delta Dash monitors. Our mechanic at Southbay Lotus told us that the only performance enhancement that the Lotus ECU won't take out is timing. But then you should know that since you've been doing this so long. On the other hand it wouldn't surprise me if the backward English would defeat such a feature.

post #90 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM

Hey Mako, perhaps you'd be better served sticking with your far superior Subaru?
Or maybe you should do a little research on forced induction vs. normally aspirated engines before spouting off...

Robert Puertas
post #91 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:37 AM

I'm not spouting off ... as you know, I haven't been doing this very long and am always eager to learn. I was just presenting facts.

So you're saying that NA engines typically don't or can't take advantage of added timing through higher levels of octane. Interesting. It's true that Kestler didn't report any better performance when we built up the octane. I wonder if higher octane would be beneficial in prevent loss of timing/performance on a hot day of AX'ing ... where one might get more det?

It's not the fact that it was a Subaru, it's the fact that it was a japanese car/ECU ... like your Toyota engine. Any idea why Lotus went with a japanese engine instead of a Euro engine?

post #92 of 256 (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 10:59 AM

Oh ... perhaps you took umbrage to my "backwards" english comment. In light of our automobile industry related conversation, I assumed the remark had relevance. I guess you would be correct in that things are on the upswing, I wouldn't turn down an Aston Martin, but in light of inspecting the Elise up close and on a lift, the remark still applies ... as compared to your average euro/japanese automobile. Doesn't mean that the Elise isn't a fabulous car for it's intended purpose.

post #93 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 AM

interested in Elise, looking for organized autocross events or track timed events

Hi, I am looking for organized events for either autocrossing or track time with other Lotus owners/club in SoCal. How often and where are they held?

Thanks
post #94 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 07:25 PM

Club 111 is suppose to be hosting a Lotus AX series next year ... along with other Southern CA Lotus events:

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

But the SCCA's regional Solo representative is the CSCC. We hold monthly SCCA Auto Crosses for all of the various classes. We typically have two or three Elises running at each event.

See www.solo2.com

See the Newbie section on the home page on the right ... and check out the message board.

John Kestler and I are sharing a Sport Pack/Track Pack '06 Elise, running is SS and SK1. We are members of Team Blew ... one of the sub clubs that one must belong to in order to be a "Points Card" CSCC member.

post #95 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako
We are members of Team Blew ... one of the sub clubs that one must belong to in order to be a "Points Card" CSCC member.
Hey Mike,
Sorry about Mako. He can't help himself with that whole "Team Blew" thing.

In the interest of full disclosure, he should have added the other active so cal autocrossers:

Sean G is a member of SCNAX
David F is a member of No$
and
Randy C, Steve W, Knucklehead and I are members of PSCC

Robert Puertas
post #96 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-13-2006, 07:49 PM

:-) ... like I'm suppose to keep track of the other clubs and their members?! :-)

post #97 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:16 AM

Hate to bring this back up but after reading this I'm a bit confused.

1. Is the stage 2 exhaust stock legal or not? It retains the stock rear panel and comes out of the bottom aluminum diffuser like stock so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. I bought a used 06 that had it when purcahsed originally from the dealer.

2. Is the BWR front bar absolutely necessary if you're running on street tires (RE-01R). I drove a non LSD s/c car on AD07's and later on NT01's and I didn't feel any rear wheel lift at all. If front bar is necessary, any other brands to consider?

3. Which model are the Koni DA for the Elise? It seems that the only competitive options are Ohlins and Penske's at 4K+ a set. Anything in the $1,500 range that works well?

4. Tire size, any issues with a 205/45/16 and 245/40/17 RE-01R on the LSS wheels? The TX region has a tire index for stock class and I don't have a support vehicle or co-driver to run R's.

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
post #98 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:25 AM

Many feel that bigger front sway bar is necessary to tame the snap over steer that a lot of us encounter.

I used that size tires on stock wheels ... and I have a set for SALE. Bought new at the end of last year. Used to AX this year ... something like 12 events.

Rear 245/40/17 Yok Advans ... fronts with Falken 615's (not a great combination btw. but I used them to match the size of the car owners R Hoosier tires. He ran SS while I ran a local street tire class.)

Will post photos

post #99 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:29 AM

1. Not SS legal. You have to cut a larger hole in the the aluminum diffuser "body panel" to fit the Stage II. You can cut the large tips off the stage II and replace with smaller.

2. Run it stock until you start getting wheel hop/spin. Then you know you are pushing the car hard enough to really need a bar. BWR and a few customs are all that I know of.

3. Not sure of any Koni DA for the Elise. A number of Tours have been won on stock LSS dampers....they are fine.

4. Tire sizes sound fine...same as A6 sizes which run a little wide.
post #100 of 256 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Many feel that bigger front sway bar is necessary to tame the snap over steer that a lot of us encounter.

I used that size tires on stock wheels ... and I have a set for SALE. Bought new at the end of last year. Used to AX this year ... something like 12 events.

Rear 245/40/17 Yok Advans ... fronts with Falken 615's (not a great combination btw. but I used them to match the size of the car owners R Hoosier tires. He ran SS while I ran a local street tire class.)

Will post photos
If those are the A048's I might be interested in the rears, don't need the fronts though.

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in