The Solo Setup Thread for the Elise in SCCA - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 256 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:34 AM

:-) ... shouldn't have bought the Elise and instead bought high end struts for your Miata!

And, you might have, should have bought a Track Pack Elise ? Those struts aren't too bad ...

Best Mod is to work on the Nut Behind The Wheel, ie. Evo Auto Cross School! :-)

Check this out ... copied from another forum:

From our California Sports Car Club member and professional Videographer, Tom Tanquary:

(THIS IS A ROUGH CUT!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMm1-1ko6Bw

The old EVO AX School Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phB_a_ttZk

Mako, Team Blew, SCCA SM WRX>Elise>CS NB Miata>SS Z-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 256 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
:-) ... shouldn't have bought the Elise and instead bought high end struts for your Miata!

And, you might have, should have bought a Track Pack Elise ? Those struts aren't too bad ...

Check this out ... copied from another forum:

From our California Sports Car Club member and professional Videographer, Tom Tanquary:

(THIS IS A ROUGH CUT!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMm1-1ko6Bw

The old EVO AX School Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1phB_a_ttZk

I plan on attending Evo school down here in Dallas for sure and I know my driving has a loooong way to go but it's easier to learn on a properly set up car in my experience. It's hard to concentrate on driving the proper line/looking ahead when you're trying to keep the back end in the back

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
post #123 of 256 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Elise Guru

[QUOTE=Mako;886084
[/QUOTE]

I can't say enough good stuff about EVO school. I have been autocrossing for just over 2 years and I got my first trophy at nationals in September. I could NOT have done it without EVO! As far as the shocks go, I am partial to Penske's and the Elise specific valving done by BWR for my XP car, but for your street tires, the stock shocks aren't that bad. Funny thing about the Penske's are that even with stiffer springs the car rides better than stock.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels

post #124 of 256 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Have you seen the Blackwatch bar?! Not only Big, it's a work of art!

http://www.blackwatchracing.com/shop...detail&p=4&c=5

Robert ... are there still two versions? Silver for "regular" Elises; Gold for Trackpack cars? I don't see two listed or a Note about two versions. What's the difference again?
Boy, you've been busy over here Mako!

I think its Silver for non-LSD and Gold for LSD. The trackpack mounts the same bar as the Sportpack, but only in the different location on the TrackPack's Delrin bushings. Then I used Grainger's lock collars to lock it in place (SportPack has different bushing spacing).
post #125 of 256 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 06:03 AM

can I run in SS with Kuhmpo V710 215 x45 16 & 245x40 17

2008 Elise SC
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
post #126 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 07:17 PM

You can run any size tire that will fit on the stock wheel size.
post #127 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
You can run any size tire that will fit on the stock wheel size.
EDIT: You can run any size Dot tire meeting the requirements of the rules that will fit on the stock wheel size.

710s are Dot tires and meet the rule requirements, fwiw.

TED
post #128 of 256 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 04:47 PM

LT Members,

I just bought a 2007 Exige S and plan to Autocross it to help learn how to drive a mid-engined RWD car. I will NOT DD this car, it is more of a weekend warrior and autoX car. I want to find a good tire for autoX but also still decent on the street. I was looking into the RE-11s as them seem to be a good in the middle kind of tire. Any other options from experienced autocrossers?

Thanks so much!

Will

07+ bumper support and grills for sale as well as back up camera.
post #129 of 256 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:03 AM
FIL

The Toyo R888 are popular in our region.

05' Elise - REV400, PPE Header, Quaife LSD, Ohlins, BOE Silent Touch, LETSLA, ACT HDSS, Fidanza flywheel, BOE CAB Intake, BOE Catch Can, V2 Fuel Tank, V2 Steering Arms, BWR sway bar, ForcedFed CF splitter, Manly's engine mounts, All Mesh Grilles, Volk CE28 wheels
post #130 of 256 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM

I just read in the 2010 rule book that the NA Exige qualifies for SS. (SCCA National Solo Rules 2010 Edition p.158)

Last edited by Genomaxter; 07-13-2010 at 06:49 PM.
post #131 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 AM

I'm thinking of making the jump from SS to ASP, can anyone tell me what tire/wheel combo everyone is running? Also what is being done for more front camber?
post #132 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Toys Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FSTREX View Post
LT Members,

I just bought a 2007 Exige S and plan to Autocross it to help learn how to drive a mid-engined RWD car. I will NOT DD this car, it is more of a weekend warrior and autoX car. I want to find a good tire for autoX but also still decent on the street. I was looking into the RE-11s as them seem to be a good in the middle kind of tire. Any other options from experienced autocrossers?

Thanks so much!

Will
The RE-11's are a great tire! The other option would be the Direzza Star Spec Z1. Either one will pull over a G on the skid pad and you can drive on the street and have a blast at autox.
post #133 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 05:11 AM

I looking for some advice on prepping my car for running in my local tire class (140 treadware) with SS pax. I have been running autocross off and on for three years, but usually not to serious. I have an 05 Elise with the sport pack. I have been running RE01's in a 205/245 setup, but the rears are past the wear bars and they are a couple of years old. I'm looking at new tires first as I need those anyway. So far my short list is 215/45R16,245/40R17 Kuhmo Ecsta XS; 205/45R16,235/40R17 RE-11; 205/45R16,235/40R17 R1R's. I was hoping that the 205/235 combo would better balance the car, but after reading the solo sticky thread it seems like many are running the 205/245 combo. The 215/245 Kuhmo's looks attractive, but I'm not sure what the feel and transition would be like squeezing a 215 on a 6.5" tire.

After tires, what would you do next?

'05 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Stainless Brake Lines, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace

NovaKBS Forumla 600 Powered by Suzuki GSXR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCkAxrPpBg
post #134 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer360 View Post
I looking for some advice on prepping my car for running in my local tire class (140 treadware) with SS pax. I have been running autocross off and on for three years, but usually not to serious. I have an 05 Elise with the sport pack. I have been running RE01's in a 205/245 setup, but the rears are past the wear bars and they are a couple of years old. I'm looking at new tires first as I need those anyway. So far my short list is 215/45R16,245/40R17 Kuhmo Ecsta XS; 205/45R16,235/40R17 RE-11; 205/45R16,235/40R17 R1R's. I was hoping that the 205/235 combo would better balance the car, but after reading the solo sticky thread it seems like many are running the 205/245 combo. The 215/245 Kuhmo's looks attractive, but I'm not sure what the feel and transition would be like squeezing a 215 on a 6.5" tire.

After tires just make sure you have a good alignment (max camber & zero toe I like 1/8" toe out but don't street drive it much)

Then just go out and drive shocks may help but only in the tenth's of seconds.
post #135 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Would the uprated sway bar from BWR provide any benefit on street tires or do you really need to step up to A6's to take advantage of it? If I did decide to go to A6's what are people using for wheels in stock sizes? The only wheel I have seen currently being sold in stock size is the TR wheel on tire rack.

'05 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Stainless Brake Lines, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace

post #136 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-07-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Would the uprated sway bar from BWR provide any benefit on street tires or do you really need to step up to A6's to take advantage of it? If I did decide to go to A6's what are people using for wheels in stock sizes? The only wheel I have seen currently being sold in stock size is the TR wheel on tire rack.
BWR is good even for street tires, just need to run it at a slightly softer setting. I run 2nd to stiffest setting for A6/A005, and one hole down from that for a 205/235 Dunlop Star Specs which are a good 140+ treadwear option.

Like others said, get as much camber as you can out of the front (pull all but the ABS shims for SS legal), get a LSD if you don't have one, get a drop in K&N or green filter and just go drive the car. My second set of LSS size wheels are some Rota slipstreams, not sure if you can get them new anymore though.

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
post #137 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:

I have an 05 Elise with the sport pack (there's a funny echo in here).

I'm on Star Specs. 205/50-16 and 235/45-17 Highest "140" street-tire placing in the NA Elise/Exige class at LOG 30. I believe the two cars ahead of me had Advans and Toyo R1.

My car still oversteers. I'm planning on tightening up the front bar a notch. It looks like there is enough room on the flat to drill another hole.

Get a CG Lock. They now have a mass-produced version called the SeatSnug. You can probably buy them locally at Pep Boys or Wal-Mart or the like. I have them on the Elise.
post #138 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philethier View Post
I have an 05 Elise with the sport pack (there's a funny echo in here).

I'm on Star Specs. 205/50-16 and 235/45-17 Highest "140" street-tire placing in the NA Elise/Exige class at LOG 30. I believe the two cars ahead of me had Advans and Toyo R1.

My car still oversteers. I'm planning on tightening up the front bar a notch. It looks like there is enough room on the flat to drill another hole.

Get a CG Lock. They now have a mass-produced version called the SeatSnug. You can probably buy them locally at Pep Boys or Wal-Mart or the like. I have them on the Elise.
Try changing your tire pressure. I was running the exact same setup and I can change the balance from understeer to oversteer with nothing but tire pressure changes.

07 Porsche 911 GT3
10 BMW M3
03 BMW 330i ZHP
06 LRG Elise- (sold)
post #139 of 256 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Try changing your tire pressure. I was running the exact same setup and I can change the balance from understeer to oversteer with nothing but tire pressure changes.
It is great to have balance, but job one is to have balance with the greatest overall stick.

Skidpad shows the rear is camber-deprived. The best that air-pressure changes can do is get me to the same temp on the outside and the middle, with the inside still cold. This is an overinflation. To get the most out of the tire, I need to get closer to zero dynamic camber (dare I hope to zero). As noted before, the rear is already to the most-negative static camber possible under Stock rules.

More front bar will reduce chassis roll and therefore help the rear dynamic camber. This will allow me to reduce the rear air pressure and use more of the rear tire (dare I hope all of it).

The old camber-friendly BFG R1 would come in handy now. Of course, when those tires were around, I had a Europa that didn't need camber help.
post #140 of 256 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 AM

I need urgent help from someone who is familiar with the SS rules regarding aftermarket shocks. I'm trying to get my car setup this weekend for our big 24 hour autocross next weekend. Shoot me a PM with your phone number if your willing to help.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in