The Solo Setup Thread for the Elise in SCCA - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 256 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:04 AM

Stainless Brake Lines and and the Oil Pan take you out of SS. Just FYI.

2006 Lotus Elise
Krypton Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Is anyone really likely to remove your undertray just to check your oilpan? Seems kinda silly and excessive.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #143 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:29 PM

100% yes. I've seen motors pulled apart...

post #144 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
Is anyone really likely to remove your undertray just to check your oilpan? Seems kinda silly and excessive.
we're talking about dodging cones in parking lots - autox, by definition, is silly and excessive
post #145 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM
Toys Performance

Quote:
Locally probably not. At Nationals...definitely.

Fast Toys Performance - FTP
www.fasttoys.net
Toll Free # 877-955-4896
post #146 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Toys Performance

Quote:
Locally probably not. At Nationals...definitely in stock class.

www.fasttoys.net
Toll Free # 877-955-4896
post #147 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 06:22 PM

Time to start an ugly rumor, I understand Clovis has titanium rods in his engine!

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #148 of 256 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
I've seen a stock class car get DSQ'd at Nationals for having a steering wheel diameter 1/4" out-of-spec. The protester was checking cars in grid with a tape measure. Happily, those days are pretty much over.

2008 M3 (DD)
2008 Cayman S (wife's toy)
2012 Fiat 500 Abarth (wife's DD)
1983 Alfa GTV6
1970 Triumph GT6

'Ferrari 308s and F16s -- these are the conveyances of free men.' - P.J. O'Rourke
post #149 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:27 PM
Ticket Magnet

I was looking for an up-to-date thread on this as I am considering my Elise for SS Class - AutoCross towards the end of March.

I was told that I can't put my clam-tilt kit on as that is a modification. Thoughts?
I would think that the clam tilt would be especially desirable so tech can more easily inspect more stuff.

I am unclear on the tire size. When I read the rules it says MAX WHEEL SIZE is 16x8 but the cars came stock with 17x7.5 in the rear. Do I really have to go buy new wheels of a different size than stock?

I am also looking for a few suggestions for springs and shocks or is it only the shocks I can replace?
If that is the case, what are the best stock springs that I might find already on my 2005 Elise?

And what different offsets were 2005 Elises equipped with between track pack and non-TP?
I found some ROTAs but it seemed that the offets were 1 mm of for voth the 16s and the 17s.

Ideally, a list of the options that the "perfect" 2005 Elise came equipped with and the allowed improvements would be.

Thanks much!
post #150 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:29 PM

I don't know if I can answer all your questions, but here's is what I know/do. I am on the base suspension, you can change to LSS if you like, but you also have to change to the LSS wheels; you can't mix and match factory packages.

Tilt clam is illegal because it involves removing the rear exhaust grill. That said, I removed my rear grill for my exhaust, and no one said anything. I haven't done the tilt clam yet, but I'm going to run, and I'm going to run SS. No one will know the difference, you may get questioned at the National Level, but I'd say that's very unlikely.

I am not sure about offsets, as I understand them anyway. The LSS wheel is wider than the base wheel, so that should help some. I don't think you can add shims to make the track wider, and I am not sure that you would want to anyway, due to possible rubbing.

My SS setup:
BOE Silent Touch Exhaust, for sound, cooling and weight savings.
Dunlop Direzza Star Spec Z1 205/50/16 front and 235/45/17 in rear on base wheels
BWR Street Swaybar
post #151 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4Racin View Post
I was looking for an up-to-date thread on this as I am considering my Elise for SS Class - AutoCross towards the end of March.
awesome! the more the merrier 'round these parts

Quote:
I was told that I can't put my clam-tilt kit on as that is a modification. Thoughts?
I would think that the clam tilt would be especially desirable so tech can more easily inspect more stuff.
i would clasify this as a comfort & convenience allowance. legal.

Quote:
I am unclear on the tire size. When I read the rules it says MAX WHEEL SIZE is 16x8 but the cars came stock with 17x7.5 in the rear. Do I really have to go buy new wheels of a different size than stock?
LSS wheels are as wide as you can go in SS. 16x6.5 +31 front and 17x7.5 +38 rear (+/- 6 for offset).
Quote:
I am also looking for a few suggestions for springs and shocks or is it only the shocks I can replace?
If that is the case, what are the best stock springs that I might find already on my 2005 Elise?
stiffest springs you can use are LSS. shocks are open, provided they have 2 adjustments or less (generally rebound and compression). remote reservoirs are legal.
Quote:
Ideally, a list of the options that the "perfect" 2005 Elise came equipped with and the allowed improvements would be.
my setup:
retrofitted LSD/TC
Ohlins double adjustable shocks w/ Remote Reservoirs
SSR wheels in LSS size with 205/45R16 and 245/40R17 Hoosier A6 - Toyo R1R early season/when i'm lazy and don't want to trailer/change wheels
BOE ST-5 exhaust
BWR Hardcore front sway bar
BOE air filter
Carbotech AX6 brake pads
ATE SuperBlue brake fluid
Red Line 5W40 engine oil
Red Line MT90 transmission fluid

i'll be the guy with the red lotus if you make it out to an or-scca event. you'll see me frantic in the timing trailer getting our new system to work most of the time this season methinks. i'll keep an eye out for ya

EDIT: forgot to mention, all shims up front were pulled to max camber (-1 if you're lucky, lol). better than nothing - and be thankful you've got an independent suspension putting only 38-40% of 1850-1950lbs weight on them!

Last edited by boardkat; 02-25-2012 at 10:14 PM.
post #152 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:25 PM
Toys Performance

The clam hinge would not be legal in SS since it relocates the battery and other components from their stock location. I also believe that Phil (BOE) said it slightly drops some weight. It also requires an exhaust that does not exit through the diffuser and the rear grills to be removed.

Wheels have to be withinin a certain offset (I believe .25) of stock and cannot be any different width that stock. The Rota torques are wider so not stock eligible.

If you change to options of another trim that is SS eligible, you need to add all of the options that also came with that trim (e.g dual oil coolers).

www.fasttoys.net
Toll Free # 877-955-4896
post #153 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Ticket Magnet

Thanks for the replies.

As I was literally reading the rule book as you guys were being nice enough to shoot me some answers, I came up with conflicting wheel sizes as I read the just-updated Solo Rules and compared with the GCR. I assume that Solo Rules are the bible I would fall under?

Anyway, with the clam tilt (Aussie Clam Hinge) the battery can stay in the stock location. And either I can retain the rear grills or replace them.

I also have a Larini Sport that under the Solo Rules appears to be O.K.

And can I re-flash the ECU? It looked like this is O.K. under the Solo Rules, but I am very surprised.
If so, who do you think has the best set-up for a NA Elise? I have a spare for a reason!

Thanks for all of the great comments so far and to come. It really helps. They said I was booksmart ... these must be manuals and not books!
post #154 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
The clam hinge would not be legal in SS since it relocates the battery and other components from their stock location.
not sure what clam hinge you're running but the one i just had fabbed up slots in seamlessly without any modifications. it's not the BOE one though, so you might be right if that one requires relocations/weight reduction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
If you change to options of another trim that is SS eligible, you need to add all of the options that also came with that trim (e.g dual oil coolers).
^this.
that's the reason my '05 has both LSD and TC (useless) - since this was the only way you could get LSD in '05 from the factory (packaged with TC). ditto on the twin oil coolers. and the LSS-sized wheels.
post #155 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Ticket Magnet

Thanks. I've got the dual oil coolers, shocks, & LSD. But it came with the base stock wheels.
post #156 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
And can I re-flash the ECU? It looked like this is O.K. under the Solo Rules, but I am very surprised.
missed this in your post. not legal, unless authorized from the factory. i.e., aftermarket flashes are not kosher
post #157 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Ticket Magnet

Thanks Boardkat.

Your post got me to go back and look at what I had read. I had conveniently skipped to page 88, F.1 - Street Touring Regs lol.
Upon further review, p78, 13.9 states No changes to electronic engine management. I don't suppose there is more than one version of "Stock" for 2005 Elise? lol
post #158 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Forum Founder

Garage
I am going to disagree on the hinged clam being legal under "comfort and convenience." It does not aid comfort and convenience when driving. It makes service easier, which is not covered. As in... one could not add adjustable shock access holes because it was more convenient.

It does move into a grayer area, but I would consider it protestable and one could lose.

Remember the main rule in stock category is always "if it does not say you can, then you can't".
6TVRs+ likes this.

#somethingwickedthiswaycomes... the new Origin Noble M and the Origin 7

Zenos E10S for Sale! www.zenosforsale.com

There are some very shady dealers in the Lotus business.

2005 Lotus Elise, 1993 MR2, 1995 MR2, 125cc Shifter Kart, Toniq (in build), 2018 Origin 7 (waiting), 2018 Origin Noble M (waiting)
post #159 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Ticket Magnet

Which is why I have submitted that question to SCCA for interpretation/clarification.
Perhaps the clam tilt aiding the inspection by tech will help.
I will post replies to the questions which I submitted when/if I receive them.
post #160 of 256 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:37 AM

If you are only running regional events and doing the tilt clam doesn't require any other not stock legal mods, it will be fine. I have yet to see a protest at a regional event, especially over a non-performance enhancing mod.

'05 Lotus Elise Saffron Yellow, Touring, Sport, Stainless Brake Lines, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace

NovaKBS Forumla 600 Powered by Suzuki GSXR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCkAxrPpBg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in