SSM Build Sheets? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

SSM Build Sheets?

I'm starting to piece together info to do a full SSM build of an Elise over the next year. I'm trying to document it all out similar to my Miata build, as it turned out to be a great resource for me before, during, and after the build, and saved me a ton of money and time.

I'm wondering if anyone has anything like this out there that I couldn't dig up with some quick googling. The start of my wiki:

Destination SSM 2 - The Elise

For reference, my old Miata wiki:

DestinationSSM

David de Regt - Bellevue, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 07:41 PM

I'm going to stay tuned in for this, even though I'm going to stick to SSR for at least 2014.
Quote:
Originally Posted by codingparadox View Post
I'm starting to piece together info to do a full SSM build of an Elise over the next year. I'm trying to document it all out similar to my Miata build, as it turned out to be a great resource for me before, during, and after the build, and saved me a ton of money and time.

I'm wondering if anyone has anything like this out there that I couldn't dig up with some quick googling. The start of my wiki:

Destination SSM 2 - The Elise

For reference, my old Miata wiki:

DestinationSSM

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Oh c'mon into SSM, the water's fine!

post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I've filled out the first round of everything on the wiki. The next step is going through and asking a pile of questions on the different boards in here and probably making some calls to MWR to see what their suggestions are on a few different areas.

post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Oh c'mon into SSM, the water's fine!
I may wait another year. My time is and energy are really booked this year. Next year will be better. I'm thinking, stay light, stay NA.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 10:27 AM

If you go the 153 route for the trans, I have some useful info for you:

Ratios:

Look up first gen Scion tC, seriously. It has shorter gears, which back when I looked at it, they would be really good for the lotus powerband. The camry has longer gears. I am not sure of exact ratios anymore these days. These transmissions are absolutely bullet proof. No sense in aftermarket gears to keep it together. I put about 500 whp through one of these for years. You will not have to worry about breaking this trans with the lotus engine. It is also modular in that it bolts onto the Camry v6...(Lotus Evora S swap... ).

Diff:

Also, OS Geiken makes a magic diff for this transmission. I would go that route over the other diffs you listed every time. They are harder to find, but if you search for the Scion application they pop up. They were developed alongside Dezod, DG Spec and Jackson-Dawson Racing for their world challenge and endurance cars.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

I want the longer gearing. The ideal target speed for redline in ssm in second gear is 75. The e153 with the Camry final gives that exactly.

As for the diff, I couldn't find an osg application for the e153 anywhere. Are you sure it exists? I'd love to use that over one of the other options.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scionized View Post
Diff:

Also, OS Geiken makes a magic diff for this transmission. I would go that route over the other diffs you listed every time. They are harder to find, but if you search for the Scion application they pop up. They were developed alongside Dezod, DG Spec and Jackson-Dawson Racing for their world challenge and endurance cars.
I thought the Scion transmission E350 differed from the E153 specifically in the diff area? Are they still interchangeable?
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

I did some cursory googling and there's a bunch of notes about how the E350 diff is smaller/more breakable than the E153. Did you actually run this combo, or merely have anecdotal evidence that it works?

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri3d View Post
I thought the Scion transmission E350 differed from the E153 specifically in the diff area? Are they still interchangeable?
You are correct, over the years I have mixed up the part numbers. The OSG was developed for the E350. The E153 was the MR2 turbo/All-Trac trans correct?

I searched for ever to finally find an all trac trans which we were going to use... well AWD is better than FWD...

Both the E350 and E153 mate to the 2AZ-FE and the V6 motors we tried as well. The mounts are different between the two, but you could pull the mounts off of the E350 and bolt them to the E153 and they would line up. This is a project I never completed beyond "fitting." How these would work in a lotus chassis... . But every time I read about the Exige trans being weak it makes me wonder if these would fit. Bare in mind this was years before my experience with the Lotus and we were attempting to make a FWD AWD using All-Trac parts.

Here is the link for the OSG diff for the E350 if anyone feels like experimenting:

OS Giken LSD (Limited Slip Differential) - Scion TC 05-10
post #11 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I did some cursory googling and there's a bunch of notes about how the E350 diff is smaller/more breakable than the E153. Did you actually run this combo, or merely have anecdotal evidence that it works?
I (and many others) ran around 500 WHP trough the E350 without issue to the trans. The WC team had zero issues with the trans holding up while I was with them. This was not in a Lotus, nor with the 1.8 liter.

Either way, I personally think a trans which can house an OS diff is worth it every time over one that cant use one. Especially for an autocross build.
post #12 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, but there are a lot of other considerations when making a swap like this work. You say it bolts right up to an E153-expecting engine, implying that the same flywheel/clutch can be used, but is the starter in the same place? Does it use the same axles? MWR's kit has a bunch of custom stuff made to specifically mount the E153 in place of the C6x, but if there's a bunch of other ancillary stuff that goes with the E350, it could be a lot more complicated. =/

post #13 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM

This thread needs bumped, as I just went through the wiki... Looks like you are making tremendous progress!
post #14 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Yeah, David is flying on his build. It's nuts.
post #15 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-20-2015, 11:25 AM

Garage
Well when you are nuts to begin with...keeping up with your addiction can be expensive and fun. From what I have talked to David about he is an ANIMAL when it comes to making things perfect and I believe his SSM car is something I could only WISH my car could aspire to be.

Nice work David!!!

How goes the progress?

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #16 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Huh, somehow I got unsubscribed from this thread. Just noticed it had been bumped while browsing the site.

It's going well. I hope to get the motor fired up tonight or tomorrow morning for the first time. All of the suspension is in place. The front clam and cf bits are arriving early next week. I have the wheels and tires. So, really close to being able to get it out to a dyno for an initial round of tuning.

post #17 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 02:57 PM

Garage
Hey David,

Where are you going to take it to get it dyno'd/tuned? Locally?

post #18 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Kris Osheim at KORacing is a very good tuner, though most of his experience is with assorted standalones, so we'll be needing to figure out the FastWorks stuff. We'll give that a shot. If he gets perplexed, I'll probably talk to Surgeline and see what they want to do. Worst case, I'm pretty sure we can lay in decent fuel tuning and get WOT timing pretty settled, so we should be able to get the car safely to within 3-5% of max available power with good drivability.

It's possible that, depending on how the car is going, I'll go out to spring nationals at Lincoln, and take a few days early to stop by Topeka to have Phil spend a couple days on it.

post #19 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Kris Osheim at KORacing is a very good tuner, though most of his experience is with assorted standalones, so we'll be needing to figure out the FastWorks stuff. We'll give that a shot. If he gets perplexed, I'll probably talk to Surgeline and see what they want to do. Worst case, I'm pretty sure we can lay in decent fuel tuning and get WOT timing pretty settled, so we should be able to get the car safely to within 3-5% of max available power with good drivability.

It's possible that, depending on how the car is going, I'll go out to spring nationals at Lincoln, and take a few days early to stop by Topeka to have Phil spend a couple days on it.
Can you keep me posted on it? I am going to be needing an engine tune as well in the next 12 month future, and I am planning on going to visit Phil...but if you guys are able to do the Fastworks tune then...SWEET saves me a trip to KS.

post #20 of 84 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Yeah will do. You have the stage 2 tuning kit bought?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in