Toe-link upgrades and Super Stock - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Toe-link upgrades and Super Stock

Regarding toe-link weaknesses, have any of you who run in Super Stock installed upgrades? Are they legal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM

I recal this coming up before. I believe the answer to be NO unless you have a car that can be completely updated to the track pakage.

Seriously, my car is small
07 Exige-S, "Landshark"
05 Saffron Yellow "bumbleBee", on to a new owner
Also:
84 930 turbo, 06 WRX Wagon
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:05 PM

Absolutely not legal in stock class...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

CDR, USN Submariner
2003 Mazda Rev-it-up 10th Overall
2005 Magnetic Blue Elise LSS/Touring/HT/SS/VF Stage II
1988 Honda CRX Si Bubba!! Serious Autox Car 184 STS
2005 Subaru WRX STi Beater. Fast Beater. Heh.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 PM

But, potentially someone could challenge based upon safety. Nobody has ever challenged on that particular basis, it would likely prevail.

Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
But, potentially someone could challenge based upon safety. Nobody has ever challenged on that particular basis, it would likely prevail.
Didn't work for replacing the plastic tee in the fuel system on Lotus Elan and Europa cars.

Plus the fact that any number of Elise cars have been running Hoosiers in SS for years without crashing.

Phil Ethier Minnesota USA
1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2017 Ford Fusion (wife had to stop driving manual due to shoulder problem), Oxford White
2006 Gulf Stream Conquest Super C on Chev Kodiak chassis
http://www.mnautox.com
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:12 PM

I run in SS class and have the DS Brace. That is what I got classed in, I've never actually read the rules. Don't really care what class I'm in, I race for the fun and nothing else.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:03 PM

In a local event, no one will care. This will only come up as a concern at a national/divisional level.

I'd say stay where you are and have fun...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

CDR, USN Submariner
2003 Mazda Rev-it-up 10th Overall
2005 Magnetic Blue Elise LSS/Touring/HT/SS/VF Stage II
1988 Honda CRX Si Bubba!! Serious Autox Car 184 STS
2005 Subaru WRX STi Beater. Fast Beater. Heh.
2007 Mazdaspeed 3
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
Not only "what Phil said," but the SEB pretty much never makes specific allowances for safety or reliability.

If it was safe enough to be a road going car, it is safe enough to autocross. The only example I can think of - and Phil likely can think of more - is the limiter strap for swing-axle cars.

While not a _safety_ issue, a good example of the SEB's unwillingness (and rightfully so) to go down a slippery slope of one-off allowances is the timing chain tensioner on Porsche 911s. Early (uhh, pre-82, maybe?) 911s had failure-prone timing chain tensioners. Later cars had hydraulic tensioners. Swapping the hydraulic tensioners into the early motor results in zero performance gain, but a lot of perceived reliability. MANY people campaigned to get the hydraulic tensioners specifically allowed, it was denied.

Addertooth - making statements like "Nobody has ever challenged on that particular basis, it would likely prevail" is flat wrong. If ANYTHING, if the SEB were convinced that a car were inherently UNSAFE, they're make recommendations to have it disallowed from competition - they won't put in a line allowing some-something for Eliges.....

.....because then the Hupmobile owners will want a billet disgronifier valve, and the Corvette people will want a gold chain holder and the Camaro people will want something and so on and so forth.

This forum (lotustalk) is really pretty good, but there's a LOT of misinformation here stated as fact in the Solo forum - those who post that "no one will care" locally are right. Heck, I don't care nationally - I'd not protest on toe links, but at a certain point, rules are rules, and if you're going to speculate as to how the SEB works/makes decisions, please do SPECULATE. The SEB pretty much does not make specific allowances for specific cars.

I agree with the sentiment, though - I get the idea that if "you" argued "safety," the SEB might see that there's no harm in allowing it, as it has no physical performance advantage. I certainly thought that way when I started autocrossing. Thing is, they don't make those allowances, and for good reason - it just takes a while to see the good reason.

I check my toe links frequently. Not once have they been loose.

I've been looking at this thread for weeks, resisted the urge to reply, til now.

Iain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in