Touring package removal - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Note: I'm actually curious about the G forces, just realized that that could sound a bit like an attempt to get into a My G forces are bigger than yours contest. Not at all how I meant it (which is why I didn't realize it might sound that way). Actually I'm worried that I don't get enough out of my setup!

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

http://www.the111shift.com/p/the-build.html

https://www.youtube.com/c/the111shift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 PM

I first went to nats in 2007. I got 5th in STS. The next year I got 4th in STS with no clean runs on day one. The next year I won STS. The next year (2010) I had a Toyo Tires contract and the R1R was just no good on an STR S2000 and I got 21 or something. Then I skipped 2011. In 2012 I got the 4th place spot in STR and was .051 back from first place.... yes, there were two guys between me and the winner. Last year, I got 7th in the Lotus with one year of development and on 225/245 tires. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm an alright driver.

I've never done any kind of data beside some MaxQ back in 2008 in my STS car. It was good for reminding myself that the tight line is usually faster. Past that, I didn't find much use for it. I'm also pretty skeptical of g force measurements.

Here's an annoying piece of anecdotal evidence about weight: I often get a faster time with a passenger in my car. This shows that an extra 120-150lbs is often less of a factor than getting a run right when you only have 3 attempts.

I'm also not yet convinced that even at 2120lbs that 275s will be enough tire to play with the big dogs but I'm going to find out.

oh, the huge cavity is obvious if you remove the aluminum panel that covers the sway bar. If you were creative, you could probably put 80lbs up there.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
I first went to nats in 2007. I got 5th in STS. The next year I got 4th in STS with no clean runs on day one. The next year I won STS. The next year (2010) I had a Toyo Tires contract and the R1R was just no good on an STR S2000 and I got 21 or something. Then I skipped 2011. In 2012 I got the 4th place spot in STR and was .051 back from first place.... yes, there were two guys between me and the winner. Last year, I got 7th in the Lotus with one year of development and on 225/245 tires. I'm not trying to brag, but I'm an alright driver.
Cool yeah, that's pretty good! It looks you are a comparable datapoint. Any thoughts on the relative quality of your runs on the first year with the lotus? Do you feel like you left significant time out there?

Quote:
I've never done any kind of data beside some MaxQ back in 2008 in my STS car. It was good for reminding myself that the tight line is usually faster. Past that, I didn't find much use for it. I'm also pretty skeptical of g force measurements.
Would I design anything from them as absolute numbers... not without a big safety factor! That said I do think that when they go up you are using achieving more grip and when they go down you are getting or using less grip, so they say something about how much one got out of the tires for a particular element run over run.

Quote:
Here's an annoying piece of anecdotal evidence about weight: I often get a faster time with a passenger in my car. This shows that an extra 120-150lbs is often less of a factor than getting a run right when you only have 3 attempts.
Yes, I noticed this in my car too... though perhaps become somewhat less obvious since I stiffened the suspension, corner balanced and added the aero. I've wondered if it were real or just random chance. Might point to some need for weight redistribution... or it's just the effect of having someone there who will see it if you mess up . Certainly driver skill is the biggest mod of all and trumps everything else.

Quote:
I'm also not yet convinced that even at 2120lbs that 275s will be enough tire to play with the big dogs but I'm going to find out.
I'll be interested if you post/blog about how you modified the fenders for this. Also, what size wheel are you putting the 225 on? Are you running spacers? Do they rub... I've been running the 205/245, and I often feel like my tires don't heat up enough when high temps for the day are under 75. Pyrometer rarely reads as high as 115, though I always have to coast back for 15-30 sec.

Was amusing to see me with tire warmers and my opponent with a spray bottle in 65-70 degree weather last Oct.

Quote:
oh, the huge cavity is obvious if you remove the aluminum panel that covers the sway bar. If you were creative, you could probably put 80lbs up there.
Ah, I've had the rear clam off but not the front... The condenser was removed when they did the oil line recall and the clam was already off for that.

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black # 111 SSM NER SCCA Solo - 1835lbs up to 1.65 Lat [email protected]~55mph (asphalt) 193whp 142wtq Normally Aspirated.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsparv View Post
Cool yeah, that's pretty good! It looks you are a comparable datapoint. Any thoughts on the relative quality of your runs on the first year with the lotus? Do you feel like you left significant time out there?

Would I design anything from them as absolute numbers... not without a big safety factor! That said I do think that when they go up you are using achieving more grip and when they go down you are getting or using less grip, so they say something about how much one got out of the tires for a particular element run over run.

Yes, I noticed this in my car too... though perhaps become somewhat less obvious since I stiffened the suspension, corner balanced and added the aero. I've wondered if it were real or just random chance. Might point to some need for weight redistribution... or it's just the effect of having someone there who will see it if you mess up . Certainly driver skill is the biggest mod of all and trumps everything else.

I'll be interested if you post/blog about how you modified the fenders for this. Also, what size wheel are you putting the 225 on? Are you running spacers? Do they rub... I've been running the 205/245, and I often feel like my tires don't heat up enough when high temps for the day are under 75. Pyrometer rarely reads as high as 115, though I always have to coast back for 15-30 sec.

Was amusing to see me with tire warmers and my opponent with a spray bottle in 65-70 degree weather last Oct.

Ah, I've had the rear clam off but not the front... The condenser was removed when they did the oil line recall and the clam was already off for that.
On day one I was .6 back and felt like it was a pretty decent day. Didn't leave tons out there... maybe a bit. Day 2 was a different story. The course had several hard braking zones and Ice Mode bit my ass. I left probably .7 or so out there... still not enough to win but I could have been closer. I've since fixed that issue to some degree.

I ran the 225s on an 8.5" wheel and the 245s on a 9" wheel. They are the Bogarts that Blackwatch sells. No spacers and yes, the tires fit under the fenders. It's the most tire you can run without cutting anything. They rub on the inside of the body and a little on the inside of the fender but not enough to cause real damage. I recommend them if you don't want to cut.

I never had any issue putting heat into those tires. Maybe it's because of the power? Now I'm on 275s on 10.5" rims on all four corners. I've done only one event and it was on a sealed lot I've never been on before. The lot pretty much sucked for grip so I can't really give an impression of the up size in tire. I guess I'll see this weekend at the Dixie Tour.

You don't have to remove the clam to find the cavity I'm talking about. Just raise the car and remove the aluminum nose pan like you would if you were gaining access to the sway bar. There's a lot of room in front of the sway bar.

Peace!
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
I ran the 225s on an 8.5" wheel and the 245s on a 9" wheel. They are the Bogarts that Blackwatch sells. No spacers and yes, the tires fit under the fenders. It's the most tire you can run without cutting anything. They rub on the inside of the body and a little on the inside of the fender but not enough to cause real damage. I recommend them if you don't want to cut.
Thx for the info so far. Whenever I do upgrade the wheels, I plan to do it once, and I plan to cut. So much to do to the car that I don't want to have to do things twice. The present shocks are what they are because my old shocks went and these came up on the forums... The only intentional double fix so far is my oil pan because dry sump is way way pricey and I wanted to get some protection in there.

How did you modify your fenders for the 10.5" wheels? Did you need to cut in front of the wheels or just above? What are your springs like. I'm guessing stiffer springs cut less. What wheel diameters did you use? Did you let them stick out or cover them with flares?

If I'm asking too many questions just tell me There's not many lotus auto-x folk out this way. There's other out here that runs regularly in our group and he does SS (now SSR). Though he was talking about SSM last year before SSR came about and it looked like they might force SS onto street tires. The rest of the loti only show up occasionally. One guy out this way has a k-swap and would be XP. I've had a number of folks tell me about him, but I've yet to run into him at an event.

post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM

Here's a build thread I've got going: SSM Elise

I've tried these spring combos on the Ohlins double adjustable shocks (which I really like):

550F/800R (too loose with no rear wing)
625F/800R (Run at nats and most of 2013 - deemed too stiff)
371F/471R (stock Ohlins springs - pretty much loved this but too much roll for when tires get big)
450F/650R (that's where I'm at now and I think it might be perfect but can't say for sure yet)

Regarding running the wheels/tires that fit under the car first: I wanted to test the concept before hacking up the body. If I could get close enough to make me feel comfortable that the car really had a shot, I'd cut and get wide wheels.
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
was .051 back from first place....
haha, just happened across this thread again... What is it about 0.051 seconds...

The 111 Shift: 0.051 seconds

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-08-2014, 07:25 AM

Nice. Just read the write up. We have a similar trophy in Atlanta. I'm on that thing 3 times now. I love keeping at my house. Congrats to Dave too. He and PJs car are a pretty quick combo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in