Trackpack Swaybar Vs. BWR Bar - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Go Kartt

Garage
Track Pack Swaybar VS. BWR Bar

Any comment on the differences between these two bars? They are both adjustable. I have the Sport suspension and would like to stiffen up the front bar for autocrossing,I can get a Track pack bar used or should I shell out the money for the BWR bar because it's that much better? Thanks Rich

2011 Lotus Elise-BOE REV300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Go Kartt

Garage
Trackpack Swaybar Vs. BWR Bar

Any comment on the differences between these two bars? They are both adjustable. I have the Sport suspension and would like to stiffen up the front bar for autocrossing,I can get a Track pack bar used or should I shell out the money for the BWR bar because it's that much better? Thanks Rich

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfun View Post
I'd have to point out the suspension (not the sway bar) is the more important factor (between the two). I'll let others chime in.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 09:17 PM

Rich, the stiffness ranges differ between the bars. I haven't run the track pack bar, but it is similar diameter and weight to the non adjustable LSS or base bar. So, I would imagine the stiffness isn't hugely different than what you have now.

The BWR bars are significantly stiffer than the base bar. I've used both the BWR S/T bar and the hardcore bar. The hardcore bar is _really_ light weight considering the large diameter. The hardcore bar is also significantly stiffer than the S/T bar. For me, it came down to driving style preference. I like predictable rotation and the S/T bar yielded a balance that was more predictable to slide around. Both bars can yield quick setups.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Autoxer

Jake knows I had the trackpack bar on my Exige and later switched to an old BWR prototype bar that is between the street and the hardcore. The change was HUGELY better with that bar than the trackpack bar on full stiff. If it were me, I would not bother with the trackpack bar and go straight to one of the BWR bars. For me I would prefer the hardcore but Jake proved he could be faster on the Street bar.

07 Exige S - Chrome Orange
SCCA/PCA autoxer
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 01:22 PM

Garage
I took the original bar and drilled holes into it, it was a DIY thread I found on LT long ago...it was my step inbetween the original bar to the BWR Bar. When the option to get into the BWR Hardcore bar came up, I made the switch...and honestly I will never look back. The bar COMPLETELY changes the way the car responds to inputs from the steering wheel. It makes it react so much more crisp. Yes San is right, the suspension has A LOT to do with it as well, Penske D/As without a doubt if you are autoxing, but the hardcore bar also makes a dramatic increase in response. At the same time if it is to stiff it will cause the car to SERIOUSLY push without ANY chance of it snap oversteering...so with the proper alignment changes and just the sway bar, you can "tame" the car's snap oversteer a little bit.

I should also state this...just to cover bases, tires are just as important.

2005 Lotus Elise Graphite Grey - Salvaged title started the SSM build!!!
Maverick ML8 - Other daily
2005 VW Passat Station Wagon TDI (harder to find than the lotus?)
2005 Lotus Elise Starlight Black - Sold
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 PM
user /tron

Spitfun, what's the rest of your setup? I was about to ask the same question as your original post, but don't want to thread hijack.

I have what I think is the track pack adj front bar (prior owner called it a 'cup car bar'); trying to decide if the BWR street bar or hardcore bar is a better bet for my setup and plans (N/A Elise, Ohlins D/As, S111 V2 arms, and as much hoosier as I can fit under un-cut bodywork).

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
I have what I think is the track pack adj front bar (prior owner called it a 'cup car bar'); trying to decide if the BWR street bar or hardcore bar is a better bet for my setup and plans (N/A Elise, Ohlins D/As, S111 V2 arms, and as much hoosier as I can fit under un-cut bodywork).
I would strongly suggest that you get the Ohlins D/As revalved. I found the valving to be inadequate for performance driving; Auto-X or Track. I worked with a local company and found a good setup that works for street, Auto-X & track. Drop me a PM if you want contact info.

Later,
Eldon
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Go Kartt

Garage
My car is stock with the sport pack only and RE71R Bridgestones (205,245 combo). I am thinking to step up the front bar (a used one) along with heim joint end links,when I do go to the BWR bar it will be with new shocks/springs... I figure the adjustable bar is at least a step up from my non adjustable bar... Rich

Last edited by spitfun; 01-12-2016 at 03:28 AM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 04:04 PM
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldonz View Post
I would strongly suggest that you get the Ohlins D/As revalved. I found the valving to be inadequate for performance driving; Auto-X or Track. I worked with a local company and found a good setup that works for street, Auto-X & track. Drop me a PM if you want contact info.

Later,
Eldon
PM'd

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:52 PM

Trackpack bar not stiff enough on full stiff for stock class cars. BWR bar!

Last edited by JK20; 04-01-2019 at 09:01 PM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 03:10 AM
Elise Guru

Yeah, the TrackPack bar is as Jdawson says, a stocker with a couple of holes. The S/T bar much stiffer and has several benefits: 1. The turn-in is much crisper. 2. Transitional response is much more lively. 3. Plants the inside rear tire to prevent spin-up on tight corners. Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in