• 1 Post By jdawson
  • 1 Post By donour
  • 4 Post By donour
  • 1 Post By fzust
  • 1 Post By glagola1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Why aren't more Evoras auto-xed?

Just wrapped up the Fontana Pro Solo with a surprising win in AS using a 2011 Evora. The balance is better than I would thought given how comfortable and compliant the car feels on the road. Why don't more owners auto-x their Evoras?

I think we had some course advantage with some relatively tight sections that limited the Corvette speeds. I'd like to shamelessly plug our bid to have the Evora, EvoraS and Evora400 reclassed for 2019. Write the SEB a letter if you support reclassing the Evora models.

nintense likes this.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 05:17 PM

Nice runs ! Looks like fun

John
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 AM

Garage
I know that I'm a terrible person for my reason.

I just hate to see the wear and tear that auto-cross causes. I know every square inch of my Evora and I hate when a new imperfection comes up (luckily few and far in between). I auto-crossed most of my previous cars, and while it was super fun, it caused so much paint pitting and chipping.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:36 AM
Scott M

I have been wondering why too, and assumed it was basically the result of uncompetitive classing. Although my plan for this season is to race my Focus RS again (just a couple Tour/Camp events and a full local season), I've been thinking my longer term plan would be in an Evora or Elige. I certainly don't need any car I'm driving to be "the car" in any respective class, but I do basically want to be in a reasonably fair contest.

I also assumed, perhaps not fairly, the SCCA rules making machine generally feared classing any Lotus so it would dominate...so when faced with some performance uncertainty, lean toward a faster class assignment for any Lotus. I'm confident that was part of what went into excluding all Lotus vehicles from Street Mod when it was first created in the early 00s. Although, I have no recent knowledge of such classing decisions in the last 5-10 years.

"Fingers crossed" for competitive realignment regardless of how full of sh12 it am. ;-)

'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 07:41 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NichyNeato View Post
I know that I'm a terrible person for my reason.

I just hate to see the wear and tear that auto-cross causes. I know every square inch of my Evora and I hate when a new imperfection comes up (luckily few and far in between). I auto-crossed most of my previous cars, and while it was super fun, it caused so much paint pitting and chipping.
Is this where you insert the "you are supposed to drive around the cones" joke? jk

I have not auto-crossed mine since putting on the front splitter for that reason.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | Monolites/R888R | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | shiftR111/LETSLA/SSC Cables | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Looks like you lost all your Left side time in the turn around. Congrats on the win! Will you be running this car at Nats?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagola1 View Post
Looks like you lost all your Left side time in the turn around. Congrats on the win! Will you be running this car at Nats?
Thanks, Matt.

We (me + codriver, Donour) don't have any definite plans for this season. I'll do the Crows Landing events with it and maybe a couple other national events. Since we consider it an underdog in AS, we're using this year for learning about the car and initial prep. Maybe we'll do Nats if progress is looking good.

Yeah - definitely didn't get a perfect run on either side. I was a bit rusty and wasn't looking ahead enough. The left course turn around was off-camber. The front wouldn't grip unless I really slowed up... or let it push, which restricted how early I could start accelerating. So I picked the slower, tight line.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 PM

What are your feeling on the Elise in AS? How do you feel it compares to the Evora? Should I be springing for new tires this year?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
What are your feeling on the Elise in AS? How do you feel it compares to the Evora? Should I be springing for new tires this year?
Pure speculation: Elise should be faster than Evora in just about every situation. Evora is ~1100 lbs heavier, wider, slower 0-60, and has very tall gearing (73ish in 2nd). Stock for stock, the Evora has better balance in my opinion and the brakes are AMAZING compared to the Elise.

The Evora should be in BS. The Elise should be competitive in AS. If I hadn't started modifying my Elise for track use, I'd be all in for an AS campaign.

Edit: more comparison info...
Evora doesn't have an LSD option
Evora can get ~1.4 degrees front negative camber, Elise is limited to ~.7
Similar weight distribution: Evora 39% front, 61% rear; Elise 38% front, 62% rear

2006 Lotus Elise
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Nice Work! Jones is a buddy of mine and confessed his driving was poor that weekend, He is ordinarily in the top of the PAX sheet at national level stuff and was 3rd at Nationals IIRC, but still even on a bad day he is quick as hell.

I'm excited for the prospect of the Evora in BS. I'm in an AS C5Z for the time being but have swooned over the Evora ever since I first saw it and will eventually end up in one. I'm happy to see someone laying the groundwork. I hope you have success but not enough to where they reconsider the reclassing heheh.

Id love to try my hand with one and even have an "Indecent Proposal" thread I started on this forum to try to find a codrive, but no luck so far. Maybe if I'm ever on the west coast? ;-)

Good Luck and continue to have fun, I'll be rooting for you.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:10 PM

Definitely great driving. I didn't think I left any time out there, but Jake showed me wrong. I bought that car (my second Evora), to prove that it can work in autocross. I was told they they didn't work when I bought my last one, but quickly discovered that it was incorrect. They are a terrific performance bargain, now that you can get a good one in the 30s.

Regarding SCCA classing. The proposal is out to move the NA to BS and the Evora S to AS. Don't wait. Go right now and write a note saying that you support the reclass. Here's the link --> https://www.crbscca.com/
6TVRs+ likes this.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Scott M

^ Done. Not sure what I'll be running next season, but I submitted support regardless because it makes sense to me.

'14 Evora S
'13 Subaru BRZ
'11 BMW X5M
'06 BMW Z4M
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:40 AM

Well...

The Evora had a great showing at SCCA Nationals this year -- 3rd overall in BS and ~0.1s from the win. It's my first trophy at nats, and I was able to get FTD on the east course.

Here's the video of the run.

All the doubters are gone; there was a big crowd at impound.
fzust, jdawson, Molez93 and 1 others like this.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 05:28 PM
Elise Guru

Donour,

That looked great! Congrats on a great drive!
donour likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 06:45 PM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Pure speculation: Elise should be faster than Evora in just about every situation. Evora is ~1100 lbs heavier, wider, slower 0-60, and has very tall gearing (73ish in 2nd). Stock for stock, the Evora has better balance in my opinion and the brakes are AMAZING compared to the Elise.

The Evora should be in BS. The Elise should be competitive in AS. If I hadn't started modifying my Elise for track use, I'd be all in for an AS campaign.

Edit: more comparison info...
Evora doesn't have an LSD option
Evora can get ~1.4 degrees front negative camber, Elise is limited to ~.7
Similar weight distribution: Evora 39% front, 61% rear; Elise 38% front, 62% rear
Evora S and 400's come with LSD

Stock Camber (S, 400, 410, GT) Front: 0.2, 0.5, 0.9, or 1.15 deg neg and Rear: 1.8, 1.8, 2.1, or 2.2 deg neg

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) Lotus MS alloy pan, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Donour,

That looked great! Congrats on a great drive!
Thanks Fred! You guys were missed in lincoln.

donour
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 AM

Great job, Donour!
donour likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in