Zust Wins! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By oldmansan
  • 1 Post By oldmansan
  • 1 Post By fzust

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Zust Wins!

Congratulations to Fred Zust on his eighth national championship in X Prepared. And by a whopping 0.078 seconds after two days of racing!

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:46 PM

It was better than that. He was down 0.6 secs after the first day. That was an incredible come back.

Way to go Fred!

Also, make note that Alex did very well too! I believe she trophied but can't get final results.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Alex finished in a very nice fourth place in this competitive class. Trophies went down through sixth place, so very good indeed!

2017 Evora Sport 410

2006 Elise British Racing Green SOLD

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 03:30 PM
The Enforcer

Congratulations to both. They're both great people to deal with and obviously serious drivers.

San
glb likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 05:31 PM
glb

Hear! Hear!

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:09 PM

Garage
Congrats!

I'll never forget how super helpful Fred was with me while I was doing the install of the old BWR supercharger.

A great ambassador for Lotus too. Just what we need.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 06:52 PM

Garage
Congrats Fred, amazing sir! Looks like you dug deep for that 49.5 and yet another title. People ya'll gotta know he was faster than most of the A mod cars!

Also shout out to @glagola1 , 2nd place is admirable and I would be thrilled with that finish myself, but three straight years--I almost feel bad for you.

Meanwhile, I hope I can win my regional class points vs a Miata. Some people are more talented than others....

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 09:09 AM
Plug Whisperer

Very proud and happy for both Matt and Fred! Great Lotus representation!

I did hear that their driving was a bit lacking but it was their blissful engines and smooth power delivery that got them to the podium! .... maybe I heard wrong.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-09-2017, 12:08 PM
The Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Very proud and happy for both Matt and Fred! Great Lotus representation!

I did hear that their driving was a bit lacking but it was their blissful engines and smooth power delivery that got them to the podium! .... maybe I heard wrong.

-Phil
That was funny.

San
Aedo likes this.

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons, Never Been on Fire
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Elise Guru

Thank you guys for the kind words, except turbophil, but that is expected. Fortunately, Matt and I were able to drive around the rough running, tough starting, low power lumps from BOE! Actually, I built the motor at BWR after Phil and I put a plan together based on his long-rod setup. BOE engine bits and Phil's tune. It has run like a top all year, except hard-starting which is an EFI ECU issue. Dropping the compression helped with reliability.

In addition to the Solo National Championship, I was fortunate enough to have a perfect ProSolo season with 2 event wins, the finale win, and season win.

I got to work course with Matt during the Pro so we chatted quite a bit. He drove very well and just barely came up short on day two. Lots to be proud of.

Links to Posts and video below:

https://www.facebook.com/BlackwatchR...VTPP-Q&fref=nf
4LMNTZ likes this.

Multiple SCCA Solo National and Pro Solo National Championships

Blackwatch Racing - Better for the Street, Proven on the track

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Winning Suspension
- Larini Exhaust - BWR Close Ratio Gearset
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Elise Guru

And a quick comment about Alex. She really got screwed at the Pro. I changed the clutch right before nationals, but I didn't change out the friction surface on the flywheel. The dishing was marginal and I should have. Thus when she was 2nd driver she lost mountains of time on her 3/4 runs from clutch slipping. It was horrendous. With the Hoosier slicks we run you get your fast runs on 3/4 when they have heat. She had easily another second off her total time if the clutch was not slipping. I changed out the clutch and flywheel after the pro for the Solo.

In the solo she did really well. It is really tough from the first driver position especially running first group with it in the 50s early in the morning. She had solid banker laps on her 2nd runs and improved with aggressive and clean 3rd runs. She finished up 4th behind the fastest 2nd drivers and well-clear of 5th.

Winning Suspension
We build the toughest Lotus Transmissions for the Elige. From Stock to SCCA-NASA-World Challenge Winners.

6UL wheels
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 11:35 AM

Nice job Fred! Stoked to see you come back from the deficit for the win. I can imagine what that feels like.

Yep, 2nd again! damnit.

Shout out to BOE for making my crazy ass build run strong and smooth.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Elise Guru

Matt, I was heart-broken for you as I have been there myself. The best consolation is that we both have some seriously bad-ass machines, that when they are dialed in are just sublime perfection in driving. There are faster vehicles out there i.e. AM, BM, Not DM(My buddy Mark won DM and I raw timed him much to his chagrine) :P But our Lotuses are real cars. They have doors, they are like the ones on the street. Yet they dance and come alive on the course or track. Our daily with Penskes, TVS400, and street tires is an 11 sec 1/4 mile charger that sets FTDs. I take that to home depot and grocery store. A few mods make these things amazing. Your car is just a stunning bit of engineering with the twin-charger. It is unique and badass! I WISH I had your torque! It is small consolation, I realize, but there it is. You drove great both days and at the end of it you are not going home in a Miata!

Winning Suspension

6UL wheels
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Solo timed events

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in