Start your own Lotus garage today! Click here to begin your own Lotus Talk Forum Garage...

sleekgt

Garage
Vehicle Name sleekgt
Year 1987
Make Lotus
Model Esprit
Color Calypso Red
Packages HCI
1987 Lotus Esprit
1987 Lotus Esprit 1987 Lotus Esprit 1987 Lotus Esprit
History I am the 5th owner of this 1987 Lotus Esprit (Turbo Esprit). It was delivered via Passport Transport in July 2016 from Rochester, New York.
It has 68K miles and some of the major services done previously. It passed stringent California smog tests legally and was a big surprise given the 29 year old nature of the car.

It replaces my late 1988 Lotus Esprit Turbo.
Exterior
1987 Lotus Esprit Exterior 1987 Lotus Esprit Exterior 1987 Lotus Esprit Exterior
No significant external modifications except for wheels (see details below) and Hella front fog lights.
---
July 2016

Cooling system overhauled
1. radiator boiled/rodded
2. all hoses replaced with silicone hoses (turned out to be counterfeit - more in 2018 below)
3. new thermostat
4. new tires

The rest of the Service C was stalled due to personal issues.

February 2018

Service C 'Plus'

Replace (all new parts unless otherwise noted)
1. both fuel pumps - Bosch
2. fuel accumulator - x40, not OEM x39 as JAE says x40 supercedes. Have use x01 on 88 Esprit for 50K miles with no problem
3. turbo to air cleaner rubber hose (OEM)
4. both gas tank feeder hoses (tanks are 100% rust free despite reputation for rusting out - 71K miles)
5. Gates blue timing belt
6. valve tappet replacement (cast iron OEM rumored to crack anywhere from 50-70K miles) - JAE new steel parts
7. valve adjustments - new shims as needed (requires removal of cam towers)
8. new sparkplugs
9. new wires
10. new inductive pick up (car developed a miss prior to servicing - suspected bad wire in inductive pick up due to vacuum advance stress)
11. new cap and rotor
12. new fuel filter (OEM)
13. new pre-fuel filter (aftermarket mod to prevent rusty tank particles from damaging new pumps)
14. new alternator strap (aluminum replacing plastic aftermarket that buckled)
15. new catalyst (aborted due to difficulty of finding flanges - may need to go NOS)
16. new SJS aftermarket cambelt sprocket - random reports of cracking on other models; old sprocket was fine
17. had leaking oil line fitting repaired temporarily (used barb to connect new hoses to old 30 year old hoses)

10/01/2018
Back from shop - at about 75K miles, the counterfeit silicone hoses - one key hose near the camwheel cut into it, resulting in a huge leak.

1. Got JAE silicone hoses to replace them.
2. Replaced thermostat (only 5K miles, but since it was out, may as well).
3. Replaced 30 year old oil lines with 1 piece hoses.
4. oil cap cracked after 31 years (red plastic) - got OEM replacement from JAE.

Interior
1987 Lotus Esprit Interior 1987 Lotus Esprit Interior 1987 Lotus Esprit Interior
The dash board appears to be a modification with nice wood - not even cracked like most I see. The leather is in pretty good shape given the age. In my opinion the steering wheel look like 99% new - given the mileage it was a surprise as the drive seat leather is good, but definitely shiny and worn for the mileage. The bulbs were all replaced as the right side (speedo, gas, etc) were all burned out.

The gas gauge doesn't work correctly. When full, it registers around 80% full. When the 'empty' yellow light comes on, the trip odometer has about 160 miles on it and car only takes on about 12 gallons (14 MPG) and tank capacity on Bosch CIS cars is about 20 gallons.

The legacy R12 AC unit was recharged by PO prior to delivery to me - 1 year later it appears to be working 'fine' - it blows cold air at my knee, but recent heat wave in San Jose, CA says it's barely enough to keep cool inside.

The power antenna doesn't work - I have a spare in the garage but decided to leave along as I don't like the stainless steel whip out (and an internal antenna (of marginal quality) was installed below the instrument pod.

In-Car Entertainment
A regular Panasonic CD player upgraded from the OEM cassette player.

Under the Hood
1987 Lotus Esprit Under the Hood 1987 Lotus Esprit Under the Hood 1987 Lotus Esprit Under the Hood
The cooling system was running hot. The radiator was boiled/rodded out and the debris in front removed. The thermostat, otter switch, and hoses were replaced (hoses are now silicone). The dash temp gauge was running hot and the voltage stabilzer was replaced with a solid state one from Moss Motors (a known issue with the Smith's gauges). The temp takes awhile to warm up to 80C; fans kick on at 90C so it seems to run fairly cool with the new cooling system fixes. A coolant overflow tank was added as the OEM configuration dumps the excess on the rear disc (!). The original coolant expansion tank cap did not appear to have a rubber gasket - relying on metal to metal sealing. But there was clearly coolant leaking on expansion. I put a rubber gasket found in the shipping box and it appears to have reduced the leaking substantially. Not clear if this the correct configuration.

01/31/2017 - a new radiator cap was ordered from JAE and that seems to have fixed the issue. It now runs without a rubber gasket AND the tank opening was sanded down to provide a much smoother mating surface to the metal cap.

Late note: car arrived with green dot cam wheels and reportedly 22 degrees of timing.

Feb 2018
with Service C - having timing put back to 15 degrees OEM setting to see if poor gas mileage will improve

Suspension
1987 Lotus Esprit Suspension 1987 Lotus Esprit Suspension
The front/rear bushings were replaced with polyurethane but unclear what source. The zip ties were added by a long ago previous owner to indicate valid points to put a jack (!). Given the suspension arms are quite delicate, surprised that it had to be indicate with yellow ties.

The red ties supposedly are for valid jacking points - under the shock mounting point seems scary to me.

Late note: The suspension has poly urethane bushings of unknown origin (not likely Lotus)

Wheel and Tire
1987 Lotus Esprit Wheel and Tire 1987 Lotus Esprit Wheel and Tire
The wheels are aftermarket Fikse forged 3 piece wheels 17x8.5 front ET 20.3, 17x9 rear ET -25.5). I also managed to find OEM 15" BBS wheels that I am keeping in storage to complete the OEM nature of the car.

The tires were 6 years old and are being replaced by Dunlop DZ102 205/45-17 front 245/45-17 rear in 2016. This sizes were chosen to closely match the OEM diameter of the 15" tires, but increased 10mm equally to minimize handling impact from wider tires front-to-back.

The original tires were 10mm wider front/rear - 215 and 255. But the rears were decidedly wider than the rim and were rolling over the sidewall more readily than the 245 now.

I also managed to find OEM 15" BBS wheels that I am keeping in storage to complete the OEM nature of the car. The only modification is the external Hella front fogs lights.

4/29/2017 - reference for the Fikse wheels from a previous owner:

OEM FRONT
*Size = 15x7 with 195/60-15
*OEM Offset = Positive +23.3

OEM REAR
*Size = 15x8 with 235/60-15
*OEM Offset = Negative -20.0

Fikse FRONT
*Size = 17x8" with 215/45-17
*Offset = Positive +20.3

Fikse REAR
*Size = 17x9" with 255/45-17
*Offset = Negative -25.5

1987 Esprit Measurements:
*FRONT Spigot 71.0 mm diameter 11.5 mm thick
*REAR Spigot 71.0 mm diameter 10.0 mm thick
*Bolt Pattern 5x120 - front and rear
*Center Bore 71 mm - front and rear
*Heat Shield 135 mm from mount plate to heat shield*

NOTE - Torque Recommendation = 74 lbs

NOTE - Lotus specifications require a minimum of 20mm "biting" thread to extend beyond the rear face of the wheel.

NOTE - 5x120 Bolt Pattern is same as BMW
Views: 371

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome