LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - Reply to Topic
Thread: POLL: Do you like the new Lotus look? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
10-12-2010 05:52 AM
RENDERMAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwkoski View Post
I guess I'm going to buy a new one before the style changes. I think those designs vary from bad to hideous and are most suggestive of Lambo's with Audi front ends grafted on.
Yeah but don't forget Audi and close second Lamborghini own the best design teams on the planet!! it's never a bad thing to follow the leaders. Now if they looked like a Honda Civics then I'll be worried about it...
10-12-2010 05:48 AM
dwkoski I guess I'm going to buy a new one before the style changes. I think those designs vary from bad to hideous and are most suggestive of Lambo's with Audi front ends grafted on.
10-12-2010 05:46 AM
RENDERMAN AND PLEASE, BETTER JACKING POINTS!!! "A+B-C and then D"
QBall must be turning in his grave, wait I think he's still alive...
10-12-2010 05:42 AM
RENDERMAN "The future Lotus like baseball is veri veri gud to mi" -Tony Pérez, Cincinnati Reds
10-11-2010 08:30 PM
imag I see a lot of people ripping on them for being generic: They look too much like Lambos. They look too much the same.

Designing cars is *hard*. There are only so many tricks. They need to design something:

1. Aerodynamic
2. Safe
3. Possible to enter and exit
4. With decent sightlines
5. Correct weight distribution
6. Conformance with ped. impact standards, which means no pop-up headlights and a whole set of parameters around the nose
7. With tire sizes, wheelbases, and a thousand different part locations determined by logic - weight reduction, polar inertia, low CG, & function

After all that, it's not really that surprising that the cars look a bit alike. And when you're Lotus, trying to create a family resemblance, there's also an interest in giving them similar cues. There are only so many headlight and intake shape combinations that don't look like deranged fish or angry cartoon characters or sad robots - seriously. Play around with these shapes and it's hard to get one that has that right combination of aggressive without looking stupid. And then deal with the fact that car makers are constantly making cars, so you have to do one that's different from everyone else.

And then a car has to look good in a variety of perspectives. Cars look different when you shoot them with a zoom lens from afar vs. a fisheye from up close. We want them to look fantastic from *every* angle.

It's really frickin' hard. Try it in CAD sometime with dimensions fixed by practicality and you might go a bit easier on designers. It's a lot harder than making a nice-looking concept sketch.

And if you think a Vantage looks like a DBS, or that the new Elite looks like the Elan, I don't know what to say. They have completely different proportions. The Elite has it's motor in a completely different location than the Elan, for heaven's sake. The DBS is a 2+2 GT car while the Vantage is a reasonably compact two-seater.

Of course, none of that rant means I won't miss the look of the current Exige. I just cut them a bit of slack on their reinvention. I think they borrowed liberally from the old NSX, but gave it modern headlights and some swoop. They could have done *much* worse (*cough* MP4-12C *cough*).
10-04-2010 08:02 AM
Agent ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe View Post
I think you're reading into it too much. I think the new regime is referring to the lack of profitibility they've endured the last 15 years and the fact that no one wants to do anything about it other than keep the status quo.
You could be right, however i did hear them refer to the Elise as feminine, and that the new designe has the car "grow up" which implies its immature now.
10-03-2010 11:00 PM
Abe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent ONE View Post
Great point. They almost apologize for the current state of the company. Like the current line up is an embarrassment or something.
I think you're reading into it too much. I think the new regime is referring to the lack of profitibility they've endured the last 15 years and the fact that no one wants to do anything about it other than keep the status quo.
10-03-2010 10:26 PM
Joe168
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas213 View Post
As said above, Lotus isn't offering a lot of unique things in it's visual styling. I see a half dozen other cars (Lambo, Aston, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, etc) when I look at the new cars. There is very little that is uniquely Lotus. The worst of all is the Mitsubishi Evo X-like front on the Elise.
this is what I thought when I first saw it!
10-03-2010 09:32 PM
Agent ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
...

you want to know what the 'new' lotus thinks of your elise?

...
Great point. They almost apologize for the current state of the company. Like the current line up is an embarrassment or something.
10-03-2010 12:00 PM
brgelise Everyone seems to think the Elise is the "bad" one. I'd like to see it back at 2000lbs and then I don't care if it looks like a used condom, as long as its a fast one!!
10-03-2010 11:34 AM
hj16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
they want to disassociate themselves from the cheap elise and exige.
Your argument is invalid. A new Elise can go for 55K, a new Exige can go for 75K. And yet, they make it very clear that the 2015 Elise target price was 55K, smack in the middle of the current Elise/Exige offerings.

Its not like Lotus doesn't have a history of making expensive cars. The Evora is a underpowered turd at 90K and the Esprit was 90K a decade ago. Lotus is simply making cars that fit within todays marketplace with todays consumer expectations and the price comes along with it.

Jr.
10-03-2010 10:45 AM
halcyon As said above, Lotus isn't offering a lot of unique things in it's visual styling. I see a half dozen other cars (Lambo, Aston, Ferrari, Mitsubishi, etc) when I look at the new cars. There is very little that is uniquely Lotus. The worst of all is the Mitsubishi Evo X-like front on the Elise.
10-02-2010 08:45 PM
lt0302
my 2 cents

The problem I have with the new look is that, it is not a new look!...one looks like a lambo the other like an aston martin.....their asses all are very similar......

in my book different model comes with different look/design.......

So in other words I do not like the new look....what I do like is the variety, and power that will be available......not sure if I am going to buy one when there are other options at that price like an R8, Aston Martin etc

The Elise was unique in that it was affordable exotic......that stayed true to the founders concepts........while the new ones are wales that compensate for weight with more power..
10-02-2010 07:39 PM
xxxotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jallingt View Post
All the newer Lotus designs look the same, and they all look like Lambos or Accords.
From the front, the new Lotus designs all look the same except for the Elise. I dont like this because you cant tell one model from the other. Maybe in person, they look different, but from the pictures they look the same.

This can either be positive or negative depending on how you look at it.

I hate the fact that all Porsches look the same from the front, and I also have trouble trying to tell a Lambo Murcielago from a Gallardo from the front. And dont even mention Aston Martin- All of their cars look identical from the front and back. Mercedes did this in the 70's and 80's too. You had to read the back in order to see if it was a 300 450 or 560 series. Some people bought the cheaper ones and debadged them so you had no idea of what model it was.

What the similar front end does is identify the brand. This is a good thing. A kidney shape grill is a BMW trademark, but theiir cars dont look exactly the same from the front. It is easy to tell a 3 series from a 5 series, and a 7 series.

The problem with having all the cars look the same from the front is that more people who are into status symbols might buy the cheaper cars because they look like the more expensive cars. Porsche Boxsters look almost the same as 911's until you look at them from behind. A person may by a Boxster since it looks like a 911. This might be good for the brand because people who cant afford the top of the line car can buy the lower priced car. I think this is why Porsche is successful. $50K for a Boxster might be OK for some but over 100K for a 911 (or whatever they are called now) might be out of the range of a lot of people. Their old 924's looked similar to the 928's and were about one third the price. Champion Porsche became the largest dealer in the country becasue they bought out the unsold 924's back in the 80's and sold them at bargain prices, which then increased their allocation for the more expensive models that they were able to make a bigger profit on.

However, the cars looking the same might turn offf purchasers of higher end models. Why pay $200K for a top of the line Aston Marin 12 cylinder, when a 6 or 8 cylinder model looks identical to it and costs half the price, or looks similar to a Jaguar that costs 1/3 the price. Why buy a 911 Turbo when a Boxster looks the same. However buyers of the top of the line cars usually have more disposable income and want the extra performance that these models offer. Many Ferrari owners traded in their 360's to get 430's even though they look identical, but since they have the money, they just want the newest model and dont care about the cost.

What I would like to see Lotus do is make the front ends look similar but not identical. Jaguar had mesh grills their suoercharged cars to distinguish them from regular models but this is not enough. I hate the way that Bangle made the cars look but like I mentioned before BMW has done the best job of keeping brand awareness while having model identity separate.

Personally I dont like the rear design of the cars except for the Esprit, and think the 4 door looks too much like the Fisker or Maserati. The one car looks like a Solara convertible from the rear and the other looks like an old Mitsubhi Eclipse.The rear ends need to be more exotic looking and share a similar but slighly different look- sort of like Ferraris having round lights or Corvettes having 4 rear round or oval lights. It doesnt have to be the taillights, but some styling element that would make it stand out and identify it as a Lotus.
10-02-2010 05:10 PM
Alpha_Mike I have to admit the new styling is growing on me. But why does the Elise have to be the only bad one?
10-02-2010 12:04 PM
Moto44 It seems to me that these cars are going to be much more impressive in person. The only thing I miss with a lot of the modern sports cars is holes. I like lots of holes (air intakes and outlets) in a car.
10-02-2010 10:51 AM
jallingt All the newer Lotus designs look the same, and they all look like Lambos or Accords.
10-02-2010 10:25 AM
fitfan lets be honest, the styling is piss poor... withthe exception of the Elite. everythong else needs to go back for a rework. the elan is the best of the 3. looks good for a mini 550 maranello. a good front engine rwd styled car....
10-02-2010 06:01 AM
BigSquid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12OUTRN View Post
I think it's a nice evolution and it actually gives me more "pride in ownership" as the brand once again elevates itself to where it should be...the realm of the exotics!
+1!
10-02-2010 12:47 AM
GabbaGabbaHey
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjk View Post
let me bring you back down to reality.

you want to know what the 'new' lotus thinks of your elise?

well, they have forced all the lotus dealerships to remodel and move 'upscale' for the new cars. If they can't afford to do so, they are no longer lotus dealers.

they want to disassociate themselves from the cheap elise and exige.

it's like having an LFA out there... doesn't make the corolla any more exotic.
spot on .. wish I had a nickel every time exclusive was dropped in the introduction video. Should've named the lineup Exclusive A, B, C and D.

The Elan might steal some Porsche turbo or Audi R-8 customers but the other models.

Perhaps Lambo and Ferrari (McClaren) have priced themselves too high in this down market and the Esprit at 40K less will make a go of it. The four door is going up against Aston Martin, Bentley, BMW, Lambo and even Porsche. Good luck with that. All thats missing is a SUV.

Wonder if a manual transmision will be an option in the Esprit or Elan?
This thread has more than 20 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome