The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hy all...

After presenting myself, here comes THE first question:

As you may have read, I'm thinking of turning in my current M3 and getting an Elise. I've always thought of the Elise R as "my" car... but I'm having doubts now and don't know whether the new SC is really worth the chance.

Just to let you know: the car would be used in mountain B-roads around Madrid (weekend gettaways with friends), minor short trips with my wife (we have a weekend house 400 km away) and some track-days from time to time (2 o 3 per year).

¿Which car is my "ideal"? ¿What's specs or options should I take consider?

I'm doing a one-day jump to Barcelona next week (to see the official Lotus dealer) and hopefully I'll be able to drive and try both R and SC's...

¿What's your opinion?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
its personal choice really.

Me personally would go for a elise sc if it was between the na and sc.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
If you're willing to do aftermarket modifications, you can get more power from the Elise R, but if not, then definitely get the Elise SC.

The only problem is you won't easily be able to squeeze more power out of it because it uses a smaller blower than the Exige S, so if you go for the SC, that is going to be your ceiling as far as power goes.

MY OPINION: The Elise SC should be good enough for your needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all!!!

My local dealer has a couple of R's in stock... One of them is yellow, black rims, soft top, Touring Pack, traction control, etc. and only 4000 km on the clock!!!

Price is quite good, and it's probably the one I'm gonna try on my trip next week.

The only "con" though is that it doen't have airbags since it a December 2007 model. I know what the Elise spirit is and that only 2009 models will have airbags, but being used to "normal" cars, I find that such security measures are a must... ¿am I wrong?

Btw, after market mods would begin with exhaust system (love the sound of the Larini), but I'm not much of a mod friend.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
ehh...i'm pretty sure all elises have airbags.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Guys, you have to realize that DUR is from Spain (hint: he mentions Madrid and talks in KMs :D) and the US regulations regarding airbags don't apply there. Therefore, their versions don't have airbags! That was one of the reasons it took Lotus a while to bring Elise to US (besides the bumper/crash stuff).

In my humble opinion, go test drive both of those versions and see which one is more appealing to you. More power never hurts but Elise is already rather quick with base model (US base has 190hp)!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, you have to realize that DUR is from Spain (hint: he mentions Madrid and talks in KMs :D) and the US regulations regarding airbags don't apply there. Therefore, their versions don't have airbags! That was one of the reasons it took Lotus a while to bring Elise to US (besides the bumper/crash stuff).

In my humble opinion, go test drive both of those versions and see which one is more appealing to you. More power never hurts but Elise is already rather quick with base model (US base has 190hp)!
Thanks for clarifying that: I am for Europe, didn't think about the fact that US spec is different than Euro spec... Sorry!!!

Indeed, here in Europe, as far as I know, all Elise's have airbags only since the launch of the SC, therefore only 2008...

¿Are there SC owners here?

Cheers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DUR, pasate por aqui y seguro de que la gente del foro de SportCarClub te daran toda la informacion e impresiones que quieras y mas. --> Sport Car Club :: Ver Foro - Lotus

Respecto a lo de las versiones del Elise, esta claro que tienen orientaciones diferentes. El R es un coche mas extremo y requiere de una conduccion mas propia de circuito que de calle. Ten en cuenta que ofrece algo de par a partir de las 6000 rpm. Por debajo de eso el coche no tira mucho. Eso te obliga a ir siempre por encima de 5000-6000, donde el coche es una bestia. El SC, por contra, empuja desde mucho mas abajo, gracias a la sobrealimentacion. Puedes hacer una conduccion mas relajada, pegar un pisoton a 3000 rpm y salir disparado. Es mas efectivo en todas las circunstancias. El tercero de la lista, el S, es como un R, e incluso se nota con mas empuje a bajas y medias vueltas, pero con menos potencia a partir de las 6000, que es donde el R marca la diferencia. Yo para mi, me pillare el S dentro de unos años, ya que no soy de llevar el coche a tandas ni ir siempre a cuchillo revetando el motor. Parece poco potente, pero es mas que suficiente para divertirse por carreteras de curvas, y la diferencia de precio es tremenda. De hecho, de la gama actual, es el preferido de algunos de los mas puristas por ser mas cercano al espiritu original.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't have an answer to your question, but to save you typing English doesn't use a leading question mark before questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The SC is quiet compared to the R due to the different exhaust and more comfortable for long journeys. I went for the "touring pack" for the extra insulation, leather and carpets. Also A/C and traction control. The supercharger makes driving effortless at lower rpm, more powerful and makes a very nice "whistling" sound.

You will find that the '08 SC (with touring pack) can be used as an every day car and driven long distances, and in any case, it is much much much easier to use daily than most people will tell you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hi. If the car is for touring, street and the occasional High performance driving track day I would go for the Elise SC with a touring package. I have the 2008 Elise SC and the wider tourqe band the extra hp and vairable cam switch over points make it a much better street and touring car than the base Elise. Going with the touring suspension allows you to upgrade to a better suspension setup than factory without throwing away the upgraded factory parts. All new Elises come with the Yoko 07's so there is no advantage there other than the sport option does have the forged wheel which are lighter. Again here for less than the factory upgrade you can get lighter wheels and then upgrade tires. If the car is to be track focused I would go for the base Elise, or spend the extra and go for an Exige 240.

The base Elise is going to give you room to add hp above the Elise SC and still add aftermarket suspension pieces. But I would bet that this is going to be more expensive than the Elise SC. (I am assuming that you are starting with a new model year car and not a 2006 or 2005). If I was going for a track focused Elise I'd start with a low milage used car in good shape and build from there.

For me the Elise SC has plenty of power, is terrific to drive as is with the touring package. I am taking HPDE and by the time I catch up to the cars present capabilities I will add improved suspension, wheels, tires & brakes. I will have had the car from new so I know the cars history & maintenace intimately. All that combined with the knowledge and track time to drive the car properly and still have a very streetable machine are for me the best formula.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts