The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Does this only happen with the windows/top down/off?

could be a small leak from an oil-cooler under the front clam.

Edit; noticed you said you checked front... Mine smells a bit like a bit of burning oil mixed with unburnt fuel, my problem it would seem, is a small exhaust leak, but I haven't fixed it yet.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Demonized: thanks for the response :) Yeah, I suspected the oil coolers as well, since I only smell it when I have the windows open/top off. I believe my car has the dual oil coolers, and I only checked the one under the driver's side. The smell seems to come from the drivers side though, as my girlfriend, sitting shotgun, usually doesn't smell it.

Exhaust leak - that sounds interesting. Does your exhaust leak tick? I wonder if I have that - I noticed the car runs a bit rich, and a fine layer of black "dust" forms right around the license plate area.
I'd say check the other side as well. If you find that you have dual oil coolers, all the better!

Mine has slight tick before the exhaust system heats up adequately, but it is also a 2Bular exhaust & catalytic converter, according to Jim Valentine, they are one of his very early designs (2005ish) so that alone could be my culprit.

If your leak is after your o2 sensors, it shouldn't cause a rich condition. (And if it were before, you may throw a code)

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd say check the other side as well. If you find that you have dual oil coolers, all the better!

Mine has slight tick before the exhaust system heats up adequately, but it is also a 2Bular exhaust & catalytic converter, according to Jim Valentine, they are one of his very early designs (2005ish) so that alone could be my culprit.

If your leak is after your o2 sensors, it shouldn't cause a rich condition. (And if it were before, you may throw a code)
Ketong,
I've owned my 2007 Exige S for a month now and have the same oil smell with the windows down. Have you solved your mystery? Where are the oil coolers specifically located? I don't see any leaks on the garage floor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oil odor

Ketong,

I've owned my 08 S240 for a week and notice the same thing when the windows are rolled down while driving. It is not noticeable when the windows are up and the A/C is on.

-Lew

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
could it be blow by.the factory routs the crankcase blow by into the intake manifold.if this is the case you would need to install the catch cans.good idea anyway so you dont get oil gunk in there.

·
Registered
97 Posts
could it be blow by.the factory routs the crankcase blow by into the intake manifold.if this is the case you would need to install the catch cans.good idea anyway so you dont get oil gunk in there.
Sorry, I don't understand. Is my Exige S one of the few that don't have Catch Cans and that is why I have the oil smell? What does a Catch Can do? I know what a burnt clutch smells like and this is not that smell.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
the factory does not install the catch cans.its an upgrade people are doing.the supercharged cars are known for a pretty good bit of oil being sent into the intake when running hard.if you do some searching here you will find some threads talking about this problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts