The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys!

What do you think of this Elise for the price? I’m trying to decide if I should pull the trigger or not.

Vehicle info & specifics are in the pictures, but here’s the basics

• 2005 Elise
  • 99k miles
  • new MWR motor w/ 2k miles
  • “previously salvage title” from minor rear clam collision. Apparently, the title is now clean
  • Asking Price: $20,500

Here’s a picture of the damage that salvaged the car:

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
It’s listed on this site as well. It’s pretty much the cheapest elise I’ve seen listed and you’re technically getting a clean title as well, so for the price it’s a really good deal. The seller could have really just not mentioned anything about the salvage history and it wouldn’t have mattered because it has a clean title and other states and banks will honor that.
I would look into how much it will cost you to fix the things it needs and go from there. It’s definitely geared more towards a diy type that wouldn’t pay a shop to fix what it needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
This is obviously the car kfennell has for sale here. That car has already had it's share of drama and this thread is just going to dredge it back up.

San

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
This is obviously the car kfennell has for sale here. That car has already had it's share of drama and this thread is just going to dredge it back up.

San
There is no drama with the car. There is just you being a continual ******* on a power trip.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s listed on this site as well. It’s pretty much the cheapest elise I’ve seen listed and you’re technically getting a clean title as well, so for the price it’s a really good deal. The seller could have really just not mentioned anything about the salvage history and it wouldn’t have mattered because it has a clean title and other states and banks will honor that.
I would look into how much it will cost you to fix the things it needs and go from there. It’s definitely geared more towards a diy type that wouldn’t pay a shop to fix what it needs.

Is the title thing happen often? I’ve never heard of a salvage brand just disappearing. If it doesn’t say on the title, would there be a chance a bank, insurance, etc would see that it’s salvage when they run the vin? The carfax shows it as a total loss.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Is the title thing happen often? I’ve never heard of a salvage brand just disappearing. If it doesn’t say on the title, would there be a chance a bank, insurance, etc would see that it’s salvage when they run the vin? The carfax shows it as a total loss.
Thanks!
It happens apparently in TX when you get a loan and then take the loan off. It wasn't done on purpose the PO doesn't have that in him, but it just is what it is now.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks!
Certain states have weird rules and protocols that will do that. I have a few cars that are the same way, carfax says totaled but they had a clean colorado and now utah titles. I think carfax or whoever reports to them maybe the ones doing it which sucks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would get a copy of the carfax. I think the car is a great deal. If you can live with the crack and the paint job. If you want to leave the car is you just cant beat the price. If you wanted to fix it, it would be somewhat costly. A Clam shell is $3k-4k and a Paint job is whatever you can find in your are but my guess would be another $4k. Op looks pretty upfront. You could always get a PPI before making the tirp

·
Dreaming of Lotus
2005 Elise Sport Touring
125 Posts
So what is the MWR motor? I assume they mean Monkey Wrench Racing, but it only vaguely looks like a 2zz. Genuine Curiosity, not knockin the deal

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Come on guys... the Mods have to do their jobs.

Anyhow, the seller has been around a lot and is a trustworthy fellow, I have purchased items from him before.

Reactions: 6TVRs+

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
Thanks!
I bought a rebuilt titled car from Indiana when I lived in Michigan, and I was given a clean title without knowing it when I registered it. When I registered in Virginia after moving, it said rebuilt again, and it still says rebuilt now that I am in NC. It happens all the time, oftentimes for nefarious reasons, but there's no reason to assume that was the case here since he is up front about it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Plan your exit. Think about how long you will own the car, and imagine yourself re-selling it. Most times in life you get what you pay for. Good luck OP.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
@AG Jeff

Can you please have a look at OMS using his moderator position to sabotage my sale? I was advised to tag you. Thanks.

He keeps posting in my threads after being told not to by an admin, saying how much drama and stories there are about the car because I could not agree to a deal with an earlier purchaser who was too demanding.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
@AG Jeff

Can you please have a look at OMS using his moderator position to sabotage my sale? I was advised to tag you. Thanks.

He keeps posting in my threads after being told not to by an admin, saying how much drama and stories there are about the car because I could not agree to a deal with an earlier purchaser who was too demanding.
YOU started this, then provoked it. You are honestly lucky your for sale thread is still active, so you may want to tread lightly.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
YOU started this, then provoked it. You are honestly lucky your for sale thread is still active, so you may want to tread lightly.
Please show me where I said PLEASE OMS come sow doubt in my thread. I did not. You know damn well he is just posting to sabotage my sale because he is on a power trip, there was no need for him to post in either this thread or my for sale thread.

·
Such Administrating
6,894 Posts
Please show me where I said PLEASE OMS come sow doubt in my thread. I did not. You know damn well he is just posting to sabotage my sale because he is on a power trip, there was no need for him to post in either this thread or my for sale thread.
Easy:

"You're the best mod on every forum anywhere."
"Just to clarify what the terrible terrible mod is trying to say."
"And now San is implying that I am trying to hide something and that there is scandal around the car because he is on the trip to end all power trips. "

Up until that point, we had been helping you EVEN THOUGH we didn't know what was actually happening. At that point, it became your fault and not the other user.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts